Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#1521 OFFLINE   MikeP

MikeP

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Article from Tom Hoffarth, LA Daily News:
"Lakers' Time Warner Cable SportsNet standoff with DirecTV about to reach a tipping point"

http://www.dailynews...reached-tipping

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1522 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

Well some good news..."coach Brown Fired"

Yeah, however the wrong Mike was fired. :lol:

Just joking Mr. White. Get us the dang channel already.

#1523 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

TWC responds to Directv's criticism: http://www.sportsbus...ime-Warner.aspx

My favorite quote: Witmer said DirecTV only thinks the system is broken "when the product doesn't belong to them."

:lol:

#1524 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

Not sure why LOL applies? Why would D* services be needed anymore, especially at the practice facility? Maybe you know something we don't? Nah, D* Facebook page would know first!

Not only does this suck for the LA market, but out of market fans can't even see the Laker SN games on LP. It was very painful watching the game on Root Sports Utah the other night because, well the team really stunk, but listening to the horrible bias of the Root announcers. Painful!

It probably had to do with the person he was replying to claiming the end of the world or directv since he hates them now.

Directv has a boat load more than twc does for The nba I believe. I don't see them ever leaving.

#1525 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Article from Tom Hoffarth, LA Daily News:
"Lakers' Time Warner Cable SportsNet standoff with DirecTV about to reach a tipping point"

http://www.dailynews...reached-tipping

Amazing how many facts were wrong just in the first 3 paragraphs.

D* 30 million customers nationwide?
2 million in LA?
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1526 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

Amazing how many facts were wrong just in the first 3 paragraphs.

D* 30 million customers nationwide?
2 million in LA?

What else is inaccurate? 2 facts don't constitute many.... i feel like your are trying to tell us something!:D

#1527 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

What else is inaccurate? 2 facts don't constitute many.... i feel like your are trying to tell us something!:D

That whole article is filled with pure editorial and spin. Fox having paid the same amount for the lakers would not have caused the channel cost to increase by 3.95.

Also every indication we have seen all be it no one knows for sure is twc wants dtv to pay them differently than other rsns.

#1528 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

Lakers press conference to commence, just waiting, watching FOX 11 ch.399, maybe they will announce a D* TWC deal!:lol:

Seriously though, new coach to be introduced?? We will see...

#1529 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

Just an announcement on Brown's firing...no surprise to Laker fans by any means. Just not a good fit this year or last year for that matter. Wish a reporter would ask about the Directv / TWCSN deal, or lack there of!

#1530 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

Bring on Phil Jackson!

#1531 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

Best news in two years. Bigger than getting Howard and Nash IMHO because they whereby winning with him.

Diatonio or Sloan would be good fit.

Either way twc needs to get their buts in gear and cut a deal.

#1532 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

Man, those Cable/Telco contracts must be really easy (in comparison) to negotiate. Even tiny "Champion Broadband," serving just Arcadia and Monrovia, CA., and certainly no financial giant I imagine, seems to have come to an agreement to carry TWC SportsNet.

And in time for the game tonight to boot. :mad:

http://www.championb...d.com/digitaltv

See ad at top right.

#1533 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Man, those Cable/Telco contracts must be really easy (in comparison) to negotiate. Even tiny "Champion Broadband," serving just Arcadia and Monrovia, CA., and certainly no financial giant I imagine, seems to have come to an agreement to carry TWC SportsNet.

And in time for the game tonight to boot. :mad:

http://www.championb...d.com/digitaltv

See ad at top right.

The smaller they are the easier they are to get a contract.

#1534 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,268 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

Well, they are a lot easier to figure on the basis of what percentage of my viewers care about The Lakers. If I'm in the L.A. area, the answer is: a lot! So I'll pay up. If I'm in the SF Bay Area, or Chicago, or Baltimore, etc., etc., the answer'd be: damn few. So I'll say, uh, sports pack, fine, all subs, no, not at crippling cost to carry.

So, Arcadia, CA, gets them, but Acadia, ME, doesn't. Obviously, Dish and DirecTV have a much different profile of customers.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1535 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Directv has Latin America and a strong US business. Right now, more revenue streams than Dish has.

http://seekingalpha....s-back-on-track

Yes it may have some growth in Latin America, but that is still TV services.

Dish does have the Slingbox under it's control, which is actually producing revenue right now. Don't confuse the slingplayer, which is something Dish itself sells to Dish customers.

Dish has the microwave airwaves, which at the moment may not prodiuce revenue.

Dish has Blockbuster under it's wing and is actually realizing a profit from it, including a profit for unloading the assets of the former stores, etc. since it bought the package so low.

There are more. Directv is JUST tv and three sports channels.

#1536 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Root still shows big 12 football among other programming, including national fox sports programming. To portray it as high school football only is not accurate.

Yes it does, but take a good look at what is on the channel on a regular basis. It's really not a whole lot. Plus a "regional sports channel" by its definition usually means "regional" sports.

#1537 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

When the Root contract comes up for renewal on other distributors systems, then I agree that the distributor should be able to dictate on which tier it is placed if DirecTV recieves a high fee. If DirecTV is willing to accept a lower fee, then the channel should remain in the lowest tier. Where the channel is placed should be proportional to the fee to carry the channel.

Time Warner can put the Lakers channel on any tier they want on the TWC system. DirecTV should to be free to put the Lakers channel on any tier DirecTV wants on DirecTV, and Time Warner should accept that.

White wants to place channels in a tier that is appropriate to the cost of the channel. As you point out, since Root is 100% owned by DirecTV, then whatever DirecTV pays for Root is meaningless, since they are paying themselves. Root is free, so it can remain in the lowest tier. If the Lakers channel was free, I am sure White would have no problem putting it in the lowest tier.

When the contracts for other operators to carry Root ends, then I agree that White should allow Root to be moved to a tier that is proportional to the fee DirecTV charges the other carriers for Root. Until the contracts end, Root should stay where it is.

No, since as you pointed out, Root does not cost DirecTV anything - they are paying themselves.

I do not follow your argument. You have already pointed out that Root is free to DirecTV, so having a free channel in the lowest tier makes perfect sense. Until the Root carriage agreement ends on other systems, we do not know what White will do. Perhaps he will accept a low fee in exchange for keeping it in the lowest tier, or perhaps he will allow it to go to a higher tier for a higher fee. All White has said is that the Lakers channels and the PAC 12 channels are too expensive to be in the lowest tier.

Bottom line is that until Mike White leads w/example he is not going to change the industry.

No one in the industry is going to allow it's Regional Sports Channels to go to a sports pack or ala carte option while Mike White sits there with his own channels on the regular tiers.

No, since as you pointed out, Root does not cost DirecTV anything - they are paying themselves.

You are so confused on accounting. On a consolidated basis the revenue and expenses are neutral between the two companies. Never said it didn't cost a combined ROOT/DIRECTV anything. Those are your words.

ROOT is still paying for it's content, so there is an overall cost to the company for the acquisition of that content whether it goes in bucket A or bucket B. So if ROOT is put in a sports tier then the customer who does not want ROOT should see some reduction in his monthly bill. (If ROOT pays a fixed cost for the acquisition of that content then it's going to make less money because having it's channel to fewer customers means the fixed price per customer just rose)

The whole issue of consolidated accounting is that the PROFIT (or loss) is earned by the combined entity. It does not matter what bucket it comes from. Wall Street financials include the COMBINED profit of the company. The profit you see Directv release is it's combimed profit for all of its owned properties. For all I know Directv breaks even on it's satellite TV service and makes its money on providing sports channels. I do not know, never looked deep at the financials.

But the fact is that the market is changing and Mike White has three legacy RSNs that, in time, appear to be less relevant.

I think Fox is already looking ahead at the demise of some RSNs someday. The fact that it is looking into converting Speed from a niche channel into a basic sports channel available nationwide is evidence that it's looking for a way to expand it's reach. Because Speed already is being distributed on most systems it doesn't have to worry about the same carriage issues going on. But it's going to be asking for some hefty increases over time.

Edited by WebTraveler, 09 November 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#1538 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Yes it does, but take a good look at what is on the channel on a regular basis. It's really not a whole lot. Plus a "regional sports channel" by its definition usually means "regional" sports.

You'd better tell all the RSNs then because they all import programming from outside their region.

By the very nature of fall sports, there is not much mid week. Root will have college basketball, too. They do tonight, I believe.

By your definition, ALL RSNs are parttime.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1539 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

For anyone that just doesn't understand how big the Lakers are, Brown being fired today was the lead story on just about all the evening newscasts...

#1540 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

For anyone that just doesn't understand how big the Lakers are, Brown being fired today was the lead story on just about all the evening newscasts...

Firing a coach mid season would be news almost anywhere. The lakers are big but that doesn't prove anything.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...