Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#1721 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

I doubt any deal was made. It wouldn't be consistent with the way things have been going.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1722 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

Also, the comment about "DIRECTV did not pickup the cost". That sounds too funky to be a lie or made up. Fingers crossed. My $3.95 is ready to roll. :D

There would likely be some sort of markup to ensure that Directv covers distribution costs and maintains it's profit margins. If this becomes a stand alone package (like HBO) I wouldn't be surprised if it were closer to $6.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#1723 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

I doubt any deal was made. It wouldn't be consistent with the way things have been going.

I would agree. We have seen these rumors pop up almost every day now, none of which were true. The source is also dubious - CSR's are known to say things that at the very least stretch the truth.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1724 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,558 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

I would agree. We have seen these rumors pop up almost every day now, none of which were true. The source is also dubious - CSR's are known to say things that at the very least stretch the truth.

Probably not final but reading tea leaves it looks very close. Too much smoke to not have fire somewhere.

But until 100%, I wouldn't count on anything.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1725 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

We've gotten spoiled with the current RSN system, up until the mid 90s most RSNs were premium on cable. Even Cablevision's own systems had FSN New York and MSG as premium channels until 2003 when YES won the lawsuit and forced them to put MSG and FSN on expanded basic to compete with YES. When MSG had Yankees and FSN had Mets, we also had to buy each of them separately for about $9 each until they merged the cost when they moved some Mets games to MSG after YES launched.

#1726 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Thanks, but no thanks. I heard the Dodgers contract is up on Nov.28th with Fox. If TWC gets the Dodgers then we'll talk. In the meantime i'm perfectly happy watching the Lakers online as well as watching other sports on my HDTV on FSW, ESPN, NBC, CBS, ABC, TNT, TBS, NBATV, NHLTV, MLBTV, NFLTV, etc.

Well, you can enjoy that if you like, but I can't stand the crappy picture quality . It's unacceptable for long term.

#1727 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

It'd be $30 for a year here for 30Mbps, and $45 a year after that. But for me the biggest problem is the cap. 100GB a month isn't enough for a PC gamer/streamer/VOD user. Looking at my logs I surpass that every month. Plus I'm currently getting a nice $15 discount from bundling DirecTV with Verizon, so my speed might suck, but I'm not paying much. :P

And yeah, it is suspicious from Verizon because I was under the same impression. I have friends all around me who have FiOS, but our section doesn't. Whatever the reason, they stopped the rollout a couple years ago, so I don't think we'll ever get it.

But back to TWC...if they do pass the cost on to customers, I wonder how much it'd be? Somehow I don't think it'd be $3.95.

I didn't see anything about a 100 cap at all. You might want to double check that, I know I will...

And AT&T is 43 for 6mbs a month after a year... It's just a matter of calling in after a year and saying what are you going to do for me now. Funny, I don't do that with my tv service, but I will with my Internet in a heart beat because its so far overpriced from where it should be... I get why TV costs as much as it does. This entire thread is a testimate to it. I don't like it, but I get it. Internet, no, it's priced to make up for TV and other things and then you have companies that charge far far far more for far far less service in some areas like where I am, it's ridiculous.

#1728 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Thanks, but no thanks. I heard the Dodgers contract is up on Nov.28th with Fox. If TWC gets the Dodgers then we'll talk. In the meantime i'm perfectly happy watching the Lakers online as well as watching other sports on my HDTV on FSW, ESPN, NBC, CBS, ABC, TNT, TBS, NBATV, NHLTV, MLBTV, NFLTV, etc.

I must be missing something. If they add the Lakers channel to that package, it would not affect your bill and you could keep watching the same way you do now, and it wouldn't affect you. However, I could pay more and get the channel and be happy. Guess I don't understand you're saying no thanks to that kind of solution...

#1729 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Not quite.... the contract lasts till November 2013, however from November 28th 2012 - a full year before the contract ends - negotiations are allowed to take place.

Fox got a 6-week exclusivity that began on October 15th, in which they can try to re-negotiate the current contract

Depending on how things go, it could happen that Fox DOES come to a deal before November 28th, and it could also happen that TWC doesn't come to a deal until November 27th 2013. Hell, it could even happen that a Fox re-negotiation fails in the exclusivity period, but they still manage to come to terms in the summer of 2013.

In any case, Dodgers Baseball will be on Fox Sports through the entire 2013 season.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1730 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

I would spend a few extra $$$ if I could purchase the channel without Blackout rules. That would be the ultimate! Can you imagine paying for the Sport channel you wanted without all the territory bull**** (pardon my french) Life would be a dream! And yes, I am aware it can be done on-line manipulating IP's, but I want to watch my Lakers on my Directv HR24.

What would a good price be? What would you pay? I pay $14.99 a month for Fox Soccer plus for barely a handful of Man United games a year...which some are SD only. I would gladly pay that for the Lakers channel if Black out rules did not apply.

#1731 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

This might be off-topic, but since we're talking about paying extra for a team.... I think the whole blackout rules with major teams should be completely re-invented.

Instead of having to pay for an entire major league sports package such as NBA League Pass or MLB Extra Innings, one should be able to purchase individual teams when not in the direct market area of the sports team.

I'm thinking maybe $5 to $10 per team, perhaps with MLS on the lower end and MLB on the higher end - prices during season only, and per month.

So if you are a Lakers fan AND a San Francisco Giants fan..... but you live in Chicago, you could purchase the Lakers and the Giants, for something along the lines of $16-17 a month or so, and be happy.

The local teams would be available as they are now, as part of your Choice-something package, but you can add sports teams a-la-carte. For many of us, the steep price of a premium sports package keeps us from purchasing them. Especially if you are a fan of 2 teams of 2 different sports, live outside of the market, and really don't want to have to buy 2 premium sports packages.

With a "per team" approach, I think they will see a LOT more customers wanting to take advantage of that, while still keeping the full packages available for those who want it all.

One could do bundled discounts, e.g. $1 off when buying a 2nd team, $2 off when buying 3 teams, etc.

I am the Stig.

#1732 OFFLINE   moob

moob

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

I'm in SoCal with Charter and yes the prices are high (they did give me a discount) but there is no such thing as a cap. I'm in Riverside.

I didn't see anything about a 100 cap at all. You might want to double check that, I know I will...

This is OT now so it'll be the last I mention it, but I've had conversations with Charter reps before who confirmed the 100GB cap, and it's on their website. Maybe it's just not enforced? But just in case it is, I'm not taking that risk.

#1733 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

This is OT now so it'll be the last I mention it, but I've had conversations with Charter reps before who confirmed the 100GB cap, and it's on their website. Maybe it's just not enforced? But just in case it is, I'm not taking that risk.

They don't offer plans that have the 100 limit anymore. The lowest plan they offer is plus with its 250 limit, which technically is the same as AT&T, although they are not enforcing it from what i can tell, don't know if charter is.

This is all relevant, becasue Time Warner Cable is making Time Warner Sports Net available via streaming, (although so far its only available to twc customers) so this stuff does impact us. I would be curios to know if streaming that channel on Time Warner Cable cable systems will count towards your allotment, or if a charter customer with charter cable gets it and if it counts against their caps, since they are basically watching a channel they are paying for through them...

#1734 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,558 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

This might be off-topic, but since we're talking about paying extra for a team.... I think the whole blackout rules with major teams should be completely re-invented.

Instead of having to pay for an entire major league sports package such as NBA League Pass or MLB Extra Innings, one should be able to purchase individual teams when not in the direct market area of the sports team.

I'm thinking maybe $5 to $10 per team, perhaps with MLS on the lower end and MLB on the higher end - prices during season only, and per month.

So if you are a Lakers fan AND a San Francisco Giants fan..... but you live in Chicago, you could purchase the Lakers and the Giants, for something along the lines of $16-17 a month or so, and be happy.

The local teams would be available as they are now, as part of your Choice-something package, but you can add sports teams a-la-carte. For many of us, the steep price of a premium sports package keeps us from purchasing them. Especially if you are a fan of 2 teams of 2 different sports, live outside of the market, and really don't want to have to buy 2 premium sports packages.

With a "per team" approach, I think they will see a LOT more customers wanting to take advantage of that, while still keeping the full packages available for those who want it all.

One could do bundled discounts, e.g. $1 off when buying a 2nd team, $2 off when buying 3 teams, etc.

I can see major issues being raised.

You buy the phillies. Do you get CSN Philly? The number of games per team are different if you cannot get all 162 into the package. The administration is much more difficult. They mess up blackouts now...imagine what happens with 900 variations.

$10 per month for one team? The whole package is only $37 a month for MLB now. That's about $1.23 per team per month.

They would be better off lowering the pice a bit like they did nfl and adding MLB.tv.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1735 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,745 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

What you're suggesting might be available in the future. Its already available here. Well sort of. That allows you to choose up to 5 NBA teams. Now if we could just get the major TV providers to offer it, and offer it for multiple sports.

#1736 OFFLINE   moob

moob

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

They don't offer plans that have the 100 limit anymore. The lowest plan they offer is plus with its 250 limit, which technically is the same as AT&T, although they are not enforcing it from what i can tell, don't know if charter is.

This is all relevant, becasue Time Warner Cable is making Time Warner Sports Net available via streaming, (although so far its only available to twc customers) so this stuff does impact us. I would be curios to know if streaming that channel on Time Warner Cable cable systems will count towards your allotment, or if a charter customer with charter cable gets it and if it counts against their caps, since they are basically watching a channel they are paying for through them...

Interesting. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that an Internet Provider doesn't update it's own website. lol Still though, with the holiday sales from amazon and Steam coming up, even 250GB could be pushing it. I just checked and last year, during those sales, I came close to the 250GB limit one month and hovered around 200GB the others.

I always liked Charter when I had them...and if I really wanted the Lakers I would have switched already. I watched the games when they were on, but I don't know if I'd pay to watch them. I do wonder how many casual fans they'd lose if this keeps up.

#1737 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

Mr. White was right, RSN system is broken.

We have access to different media today vs. 10 years ago, the rules should be reviewed, end result to allow subs to pay for RSN(s) they want.

#1738 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:46 AM

Maybe i should become a Clipper fan. They are free and have something the Lakers don't.......a bench. TWC must really be sweating, all that money and still none of the Sat./Cable companies have joined in.

#1739 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:04 AM

Went to the site and it says 100GB for their 2 cheapest services any service above that it says 250 GB except for their most expensive one and that's 500GB.

#1740 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

I just found a post at lakersground.net:

Link: http://216.151.186.2...4810028#4810028

User "ihatetheceltics" posted this earlier tonight:

Post subject: just got off phone w. Directv

"Take it for what it's worth. The rep told me they had good news. They received an email saying they reached agreement and are finalizing w TW. BUT, fans will have to PAY to see the Lakers on DTV. They did not pick up the cost. He also said they are no longer doing anything like discounts to hold onto customers".

------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure if it's ok to quote someone from another forum...?

Anyhow, I clearly cannot confirm the email details are legit. However, I can confirm the second part of the post. I called twice today, spoke to two CSRs. Told both CSRs I was thinking of canceling DIRECTV due to the lack of TWC Sportsnet. Both of them failed to offer a single discount or anything to me. So to me, it sure looks like the second part of the post is legit.

Also, the comment about "DIRECTV did not pickup the cost". That sounds too funky to be a lie or made up. Fingers crossed. My $3.95 is ready to roll. :D

I disagree on the discount front. I received nearly $40/month in discounts as a result of the lack of Longhorn Network, Pac 12, CSN Houston, and TWC SN. I called and got them just last week. I didn't even threaten to leave, just to downgrade my package because i was having to buy some of that programming elsewhere. Now they didn't call it a discount for lack of those channels, but it was very wink wink nudge nudge.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...