Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lakers New Regional TV Network - NOW ON THE AIR

• Please log in to reply
2096 replies to this topic

#1921 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

Oh well, sorry to waste your precious time...yes it was the sd days. They were conus then. LP existed then. KCAL was available, why was it not used was my point. Yeesh...

I doubt they have the rights to do that. I think contracts may be set up very differently for OTA channels than they are for RSNs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1922 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

When they are doing the same thing over and over again, that is not hard.

I know the channel primarily exists for the Lakers but where is the coverage of anything not Lakers or Galaxy? Every other rsn covers local sports beyond what they carry.

EH, I will give them a year. They likely want to start slower, and wait till they have a more rounded out schedule before they go adding in full sports news segments.

Also, don't forget, I think FOX is really heading towards their own national fox sports channel, so they have been working towards nightly sports news shows for ages. I don't think that concept has even crossed TWC mind.

#1923 OFFLINE   kenkraly2004

kenkraly2004

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

Also, don't forget, I think FOX is really heading towards their own national fox sports channel, so they have been working towards nightly sports news shows for ages. I don't think that concept has even crossed TWC mind.

Agreed. With CBS , and NBC and the major sports leagues having their own national sports networks I would not be too surprised soon if Fox Sports gets their own national sports network for their sports talk shows and maybe games as well.

#1924 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 145 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Agreed. With CBS , and NBC and the major sports leagues having their own national sports networks I would not be too surprised soon if Fox Sports gets their own national sports network for their sports talk shows and maybe games as well.

Consensus seems to be that Speed will be flipped to Fox Sports 1 in 2013. Fuel and FSC may become Fox Sports 2 and 3.

#1925 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

Consensus seems to be that Speed will be flipped to Fox Sports 1 in 2013. Fuel and FSC may become Fox Sports 2 and 3.

Usually competition is good, but this might actually drive prices up for us unfortunatly...

#1926 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,472 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

EH, I will give them a year. They likely want to start slower, and wait till they have a more rounded out schedule before they go adding in full sports news segments.

Sorry. Not even a show with scores and highlights? This is a myopic launch. Not a word that wasn't Galaxy or lakers so far. That's very poor
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1927 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

I doubt they have the rights to do that. I think contracts may be set up very differently for OTA channels than they are for RSNs.

Not that I really care anymore...but...some facts would be a nice contribution vs. half ass opinion...

#1928 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

Not that I really care anymore...but...some facts would be a nice contribution vs. half ass opinion...

Not half ass opinion. It's been discussed many times before in several markets. It's very rare you ever see a over the air channel on any of the league passes, except of course Sunday ticket. The nature of how they get the signals, and having to push them to a conus beam just for certain times, having the space available, and of course contracts for anything always come into play. There is no way they could do that without permission.

#1929 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

And about the time that consensus started, Speed changed their logo to "FOX Sports SPEED". Getting the FOX Sports brand closer to the forefront.

#1930 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

And about the time that consensus started, Speed changed their logo to "FOX Sports SPEED". Getting the FOX Sports brand closer to the forefront.

Will there be much of a FSC in a year? They recently lost out on EPL to NBCSN...not looking good over at FOX Sports.

How about fuel, change to FOX Fuel?:)

#1931 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

New York has YES, LA has TWCSN! I love it! Sure doesn't hurt being a long time Laker fan. Not quite sure why people are sore that TWCSN only has Lakers or Galaxy. Head scratcher? A storied franchise like the Lakers should, and now has a channel that is wall to wall Lakers.

As a fledgling network, they are doing a great job thus far (IMHO). For me it's 1000 times better than FOX Sports West! The pq alone is incredible.

#1932 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

I know CSN Philly is highly coveted. Is it because they cater to the fans like TWCSN?

#1933 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,717 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

Everyone enjoying the game? :D

#1934 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,949 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

Not able to see it in SF. Looked in earlier and PQ was sharp.
What are rules regarding viewing here? I have, I thought, every sports package but NBA ticket or whatever it's called.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1935 OFFLINE   desulliv

desulliv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

You're not in the LA Market. You only get out-of-market games with NBA League Pass.

#1936 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,162 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

Yes. In general Holtz is pretty homer. Along with Heinson (spelling?) with the Celtics. However, as far as the Lakers go, Miller seems a little too homerish for my taste. (He's worse than Mychal Thompson IMO)

i see what you mean with miller. btw, was he ever a head coach? from the graphics the network shows, it seems his claim to fame was being an assistant.

#1937 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

Everyone enjoying the game? :D

I sure did! :D

The video quality on TWCSN is spot on. One of the better channels. The contrast ratio is awesome.

#1938 OFFLINE   jftimmers

jftimmers

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

I don't really care much about the Lakers, although I'm sure I'll watch once or twice because I'd rather watch sports than some stupid sitcom and without the NHL, there aren't many winter options.

But what I'm really glad about is that since we're all paying for this channel, that I'm actually getting this channel in Fresno County! Now I get broadcasts for three NBA teams (Lakers, Kings and Warriors). :)

Maybe it's time to start watching the NBA again. I kind of lost interest during the 90s.

#1939 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,717 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

Los Angeles Lakers Land DirecTV Deal, Time Warner Now Sets Sights on Dodgers

#1940 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

I'm getting a replay of the Suns at Lakers game right now in the clear. I'm not even close to being in the Laker market.

spam firewall