Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What Irks me :) Paying for channels that have Ads!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

It's such crap, how the Viacom channels....TVLand has abused the commercial overdrive, making the programs longer then they need to be. They also edit programming, to cram more commercials in and delete the start and end credits, to stick even more into their programming. Then we get to pay more, thanks to the Viacom deal with Directv. I wish that Directv would have pulled their programming and added some of the oldies channels instead.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,703 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

Commercials during the movies is why I will not add EDIT : HD EXTRA PACK to my package of programming.
I am an old dude, 69, and I remeber that the commercials used to be only between shows / programs. Then every 15 minutes. Even then it was just 1, not what we are fed today.
This makes a big case for a DVR. I record at night and watch the next night while it is recording again. I can usually watch 4 hours of programming in just 3 hours by fast forwarding thru the commercials.

Edited by jimmie57, 02 September 2012 - 05:41 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#23 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,007 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

Commercials during the movies is why I will not add HD Net to my package of programming.
I am an old dude, 69, and I remeber that the commercials used to be only between shows / programs. Then every 15 minutes. Even then it was just 1, not what we are fed today.
This makes a big case for a DVR. I record at night and watch the next night while it is recording again. I can usually watch 4 hours of programming in just 3 hours by fast forwarding thru the commercials.

I'm not sure what you are talking about here... Doesn't HDNet show commercial-free movies? I know HDNet Movies does... but I haven't watched HDNet (now AXS) in a while.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#24 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,703 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

I corrected it. It is the $4.99 package of HD stuff. Has lots of commercials.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#25 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

Some do, but some only have one commercial break, for an intermission. MGM is one that is good that way. Viacom are nothing but greedy swine. The programming that they are showing, on TVLand, is syndicated stuff from decades ago and it costs them very little to show. If Encore Westerns can show their westerns, commercial free and also remaster the old shows, or movies, then what is Viacom doing, outside of ripping off the consumer?

#26 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:01 AM

What aggravates me is that they pop graphical ads for programming when there may be subtitles to read or other text part of the film. But I can't read it because the stupid ad is blocking it!

Ya watching MAINSTREAM networks is pretty much a joke now...... I THINK DIRECTV,DISH,TWC SHOULD CREATE THIER OWN NETWORKS WITH NO ADS ON THEM!!!! (Your paying them already,WHY SHOULD WE HAVE TO SEE THIS CRAP??)

#27 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,007 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

Ya watching MAINSTREAM networks is pretty much a joke now...... I THINK DIRECTV,DISH,TWC SHOULD CREATE THIER OWN NETWORKS WITH NO ADS ON THEM!!!! (Your paying them already,WHY SHOULD WE HAVE TO SEE THIS CRAP??)

As has been said before... you are ONLY paying to see the channel, you aren't paying enough to fund content creation. IF you had to also pay all the bills to create content too, your bill would be MUCH higher.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#28 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

Sounds like a good deal,with no ads comes a Premium channel price and the cheapest I have on DISH is the Encore package a la cart for $5. a month,but you also have to realize Encore is also subsidized by the Starz network.;)

#29 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

As has been said before... you are ONLY paying to see the channel, you aren't paying enough to fund content creation. IF you had to also pay all the bills to create content too, your bill would be MUCH higher.

When TVLand and Nick At Night, where showing oldies programming, they were doing quite well. They never had to fund anything to create new programming. It was all syndicated, older programming. If they want to create new programming, by all means do so, but put it on another one of the Viacom channels and not on an oldies station, mixing and matching. It's ridiculous that they need to add an extra 16 minutes of commercials, per hour, to show the same old, lame, tired infocommercials. Less commercials, make them at a premium and make the sponsor pay more for them.

#30 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

Since I've been off work, I've been watching more T.V. Recently started watching some of the stuff on Hallmark HD. Of course, it's another Viabomb station. Tried to watch some episodes of Perry Mason. They cut to commercials right in the middle of some of the dialogue. How much more crap can they shove into that hour? They've pretty much gotten rid of the opening and closing credits, now cutting to commercial during dialogue? How much of the story can we lose to make any sense of it? It's terrible! Viacom is getting more ridiculous every day!

Edited by PrinceLH, 26 September 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 520 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

My elderly mother thought that she was getting senile when she was watching "Gunsmoke" on TVLand and could not understand what was going on. We then watched another episode of "Gunsmoke" together. Between the cutting to commercials in mid sentence and the fact that a significant portion of the show was missing made the show nearly unwatchable. It was like expecting to see a full length movie and getting only the trailer.
I will no longer watch TVLand after watching an episode of "MASH". Not only was the show expanded by five minutes but many scenes were cut out.

#32 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

My elderly mother thought that she was getting senile when she was watching "Gunsmoke" on TVLand and could not understand what was going on. We then watched another episode of "Gunsmoke" together. Between the cutting to commercials in mid sentence and the fact that a significant portion of the show was missing made the show nearly unwatchable. It was like expecting to see a full length movie and getting only the trailer.
I will no longer watch TVLand after watching an episode of "MASH". Not only was the show expanded by five minutes but many scenes were cut out.

Expanded?
DTV = Digital Television

#33 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

The only channels you're really paying for are any that you might subscribe to specifically like HBO or Showtime. Now, when those start running ads, you'll have a legitimate beef.

They already do. They have their little channel ad at the bottom right hand side of the screen, and they also popup ads at the bottom of the screen advertising other shows.

#34 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

Expanded?

Yes, they take an hour long episode of Bonanza, or Gunsmoke, turn it into an hour and 10 minutes long. They remove almost all of the opening credits and run the credits at end, during the end of the show, across the bottom of the screen. It's just horrible. I sure wish that Encore Westerns, would grab all of the early Bonanza and later color versions of Gunsmoke and add them to their lineup. Don't even get me started, on Perry Mason, on Hallmark HD. Being a crime drama, you do need to see the story play out, to get a feel for the story. Viacom cuts away, for commercials, right in mid sentence. You come back to a piece missing and you lose the flow of the investigation. It's just horrible. I truly have distain for Viacom, for what they're doing to classic television. It's a link to our past, in this country, and they exploit it and ruin it.

#35 OFFLINE   keifer27

keifer27

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

They already do. They have their little channel ad at the bottom right hand side of the screen, and they also popup ads at the bottom of the screen advertising other shows.

:D

#36 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

Yeah, you gotta love the stuff floating across your screen, when your trying to watch the end of a program. It's in black and white, but the ads are in color. Totally tasteless. Viacom is an abomination to television entertainment.

#37 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

Game show network has become another dissapointment!!!!

They used to show GOOD 80s and earlier GAMES,now they got new remade versions of games i loved... I DONT WANNA SEE THAT GARBAGE!!! (Whammy,Family Feud,Pyramind,The Newlywed game -- ALL CRAP COMPARED TO THE ORIGINALS OF THESE SHOWS!!!!)

What a waste......

Edited by Dude111, 03 October 2012 - 06:52 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

I think that I've also detected something more ominous, on some of the Viacom channels. It almost sounds like they've speed up the the speech, by removing dead spots between syllables. It almost makes them sound like they're talking too fast. I also noticed something similar on some episodes of Perry Mason, as well on Hallmark, recently. If this is the case, it's a new low for Viacom.

#39 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,512 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

I think that I've also detected something more ominous, on some of the Viacom channels. It almost sounds like they've speed up the the speech, by removing dead spots between syllables. It almost makes them sound like they're talking too fast. I also noticed something similar on some episodes of Perry Mason, as well on Hallmark, recently. If this is the case, it's a new low for Viacom.

Posted Image
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

spam firewall