Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Internet connectivity

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jfalk

jfalk

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Hi. Been away for some time, since I had a system that was working very well. But, with one thing and another, just had DTV out today to replace two old HD DVRs (Goodbye HR-250 Tivo!) with two new HR24-500s. The installer took one look at my system and replaced the SWM as well with something that just seems to go on the dish, as well as replacing the PI. One unit has internet connectivity with no big problem, but it's problematic getting the internet to the other unit. The installer said: No problem. With the new SWM and the two new DVRs, there's a free piece I can install which will allow the units to share internet connectivity over the SWM. Then, after talking to his supervisors a while, they wouldn't let him put whatever it is in. Can I do this myself? What equipment would I need?

This isn't a big deal (I don't think) since we don't download much over the internet, but I just thought I'd ask. Thanks to all, and it's fun to come back to this forum and look around after so many years away...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

Look under your account for a self install CCK.
should be about $30+.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   jfalk

jfalk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

Thanks! I guess I'm just not sure how "free" turned into $30, but I guess that's just the way these things go.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

Thanks! I guess I'm just not sure how "free" turned into $30, but I guess that's just the way these things go.

Online has a charge, but a phone call [order] might get it waived.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

If it isn't on your order, the tech is not supposed to install it. When added to an initial order, it is generally free. When ordered afterwards, there is usually a charge, however, you can sometimes get that waived as VOS mentioned.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...