Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A&E Network orders "Bates Motel" series

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

http://tvbythenumber...-series/140254/

"We are proud to be partnering with Carlton Cuse and Kerry Ehrin on their thrilling reinvention of one of the most compelling characters in cinematic history," said DeBitetto and McKillop. "It's a provocative project from two of the best storytellers in the business and we're looking forward to getting started."

This could be a good new series to watch for. IMO

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

In the late 80s there was a pilot for a Bates Motel series starring the rather weird Bud Cort (from Harold and Maude fame.) It was disasterously bad, sort of a dry-docked Love Boat with a sick twist. Every so often it shows up on late night cable.

IMBD describes it this way:

A mentally disturbed man, who roomed with the late Norman Bates at the state lunatic asylum, inherits the legendary Bates Motel after the death of Norman and tries to fix it up to make it a respectable business.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#3 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 612 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

Could be interesting, I only within the last few months finally watched Psycho for the first time. Fantastic movie, especially when compared to all the action of today's movies when it had really none, all just suspense and a LOT of time spent not even at the hotel. Not to mention the whole murder takes place so fast, I was expecting it to take more time.

#4 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

Could be interesting, I only within the last few months finally watched Psycho for the first time. Fantastic movie, especially when compared to all the action of today's movies when it had really none, all just suspense and a LOT of time spent not even at the hotel. Not to mention the whole murder takes place so fast, I was expecting it to take more time.

Congratulations on seeing a great classic, may I ask what took you so long to finally watch it? :)

I remember the first time I saw it back in the mid 70's as a kid, it scared the life out of me :lol:

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

And it was the original version, not the Anne Heche remake right? :)

I'm a big Hitchcock fan, would recommend his others though I'm not as into his later films like Frenzy or Family Plot and The Birds.

#6 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 612 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Yes the original, I am only in my early 30's so I don't think it is that bad to just see it now. It was actually about 1am on a Saturday and I was going to bed and saw it was on, decided to record it and go to sleep but it had my attention from the beginning and I watched the whole thing. Oddly I think Martin Balsam's character was the best.

I saw The Birds in high school and didn't really care for it, probably turned me off of Hitchcock prematurely. I saw Rear Window over 10 years ago and loved it, First movie of his I watched after all that I think was North by Northwest a few years back and I started watching his TV series and movies more as they are shown on the premium channels. I really enjoy the A. H. Presents series, one of the channels has been showing them all recently.

IF it makes you feel better I saw Stalag 17 (Thanks AMC) in my early teens and have loved it ever since and saw Citizen Kane probably 3 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think instead of showing The Wizard of Oz (which is a great film) and It's a Wonderful Life (don't care for) year after year on network TV they should be showing more variety of these other classics. Of course I grew up with 2-3 channels until I got to college and then on my own so maybe it doesn't matter now that most everyone has cable or satellite. I am probably some of the last generation to still not have readily available movie channels my whole life, probably why I am "behind" on these movies.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

I'm 35 and think I was about 15 when I saw it the first time, but I'm not normal.

Vertigo, Lady Vanishes, Strangers on a Train, Man Who Knew Too Much (Jimmy Stewart version), Rope and Shadow of a Doubt are the other favorites of mine that should be checked out. I also like black comedy, so would add The Trouble with Harry.

#8 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

Yes the original, I am only in my early 30's so I don't think it is that bad to just see it now. It was actually about 1am on a Saturday and I was going to bed and saw it was on, decided to record it and go to sleep but it had my attention from the beginning and I watched the whole thing. Oddly I think Martin Balsam's character was the best.

I saw The Birds in high school and didn't really care for it, probably turned me off of Hitchcock prematurely. I saw Rear Window over 10 years ago and loved it, First movie of his I watched after all that I think was North by Northwest a few years back and I started watching his TV series and movies more as they are shown on the premium channels. I really enjoy the A. H. Presents series, one of the channels has been showing them all recently.

IF it makes you feel better I saw Stalag 17 (Thanks AMC) in my early teens and have loved it ever since and saw Citizen Kane probably 3 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think instead of showing The Wizard of Oz (which is a great film) and It's a Wonderful Life (don't care for) year after year on network TV they should be showing more variety of these other classics. Of course I grew up with 2-3 channels until I got to college and then on my own so maybe it doesn't matter now that most everyone has cable or satellite. I am probably some of the last generation to still not have readily available movie channels my whole life, probably why I am "behind" on these movies.

Stalag 17 is one of my favorite movies of all time besides Jaws

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#9 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

I guess A&E is moving back into the scripted series area. good thing. I am not a big fan of reality shows----although I do need my Tanya Memme fix now and again.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#10 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

25 years ago A&E had stage plays and concerts which I liked. Now it's junk. :(.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#11 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,133 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Far In Advance failed to spot and put Bates Motel into my HR24-500 or HR34-700 ToDo List. Its more info in Series Manager on both shows zero future programming.

You'll need to do it the old fashion way and manually do a Series Manager entry.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

I don't know why, but somehow it seems odd to me that Norman Bates is played by Freddie Highmore. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory just doesn't seem that long ago.

#13 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Watch them cancel it 5 weeks later.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Has better chances off the networks though. Personally, I think it will last longer than Hannibal.

#15 OFFLINE   Dario33

Dario33

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

Watched the first episode last night and though it was good enough to tune in again next week.

#16 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

Loved it. Amazing first episode.

#17 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

I just watched it, what a fantastic show, very much a keeper

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#18 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Watch them cancel it 5 weeks later.

I don't think so this time Paul, this show is really good and did well in the ratings http://tvbythenumber...an-more/173806/

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#19 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 612 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

Finally watched it tonite, pretty good. Loved the bathroom scene with the Sheriff and the waving shower curtain. Also like how they started out and you didn't know what the time period was for the first 5 minutes or so. I am a little worried it is going to turn into a 90210 show with the high school angle. I'd say it is definitely mandatory to watch Psycho before you watch this, if nothing else for the familiar scenery.

#20 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

Finally watched it tonite, pretty good. Loved the bathroom scene with the Sheriff and the waving shower curtain. Also like how they started out and you didn't know what the time period was for the first 5 minutes or so. I am a little worried it is going to turn into a 90210 show with the high school angle. I'd say it is definitely mandatory to watch Psycho before you watch this, if nothing else for the familiar scenery.

Should specify the original Alfred H version. For those that may balk, yes it's in black and white, on purpose. Deal with it :)

A&E actually skipped right to ordering 10 episodes from the beginning.

Edited by dpeters11, 21 March 2013 - 10:58 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...