Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Returning subscriber Whole Home ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ether

Ether

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

Long time DTV subscriber until a little over a year ago and used whole Home via Ethernet that worked quite well. As I'm going through some recent threads it seems that the Ethernet option is no longer supported and I should instead expect the installer to connect me via DECA when he arrives this Friday.

Is this a correct observation? If so, can someone explain why Directv went to DECA as a standard and will I be happy with the performance of this configuration as opposed to Ethernet which worked just fine before?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,893 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

Long time DTV subscriber until a little over a year ago and used whole Home via Ethernet that worked quite well. As I'm going through some recent threads it seems that the Ethernet option is no longer supported and I should instead expect the installer to connect me via DECA when he arrives this Friday.

Is this a correct observation? If so, can someone explain why Directv went to DECA as a standard and will I be happy with the performance of this configuration as opposed to Ethernet which worked just fine before?

Thanks

WH over ethernet is still an option, though officially "unsupported." If you order DIRECTV with WHDVR service the technician will install your receivers and network them through DECA then activate WHDVR service.

If you order DIRECTV without WHDVR, then the tech. will install the receivers without DECA networking and leave it to you as an option to later connect them through ethernet then call and activate WH service in unsupported status.

#3 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

As far as your other question goes DirecTV went with DECA because it is easier for them. The techs are already trained on how to run/terminate RG6 coax cable, using DECA they don't have to worry about teaching them how to run/terminate Cat5/6 cables. It also makes the system much easier for them to troubleshoot as they just make sure the DECA system is running correctly, they don't have to try to troubleshoot and train people for all the different ethernet network devices and setups that different people may have in their homes.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#4 OFFLINE   Ether

Ether

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

Thanks guys. The ease of installation and standardizing on a system they can control makes sense. My dish and wiring are still in place so I don't anticipate much difficulty with the install. I'll let the installer do his thing and see if DECA performs to my expectation.

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,242 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

Thanks guys. The ease of installation and standardizing on a system they can control makes sense. My dish and wiring are still in place so I don't anticipate much difficulty with the install. I'll let the installer do his thing and see if DECA performs to my expectation.

DECA should perform as good or better than using your home network for Whole Home. The idea of the Whole Home being in its own little cloud keeps normal network traffic from interfering with it.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

As I'm going through some recent threads it seems that the Ethernet option is no longer supported

Whole home via ethernet was never supported.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#7 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

WH over ethernet is still an option, though officially "unsupported." If you order DIRECTV with WHDVR service the technician will install your receivers and network them through DECA then activate WHDVR service.

If you order DIRECTV without WHDVR, then the tech. will install the receivers without DECA networking and leave it to you as an option to later connect them through ethernet then call and activate WH service in unsupported status.

All installs now include deca even if whole home is not ordered. There is a line item on the work "mrv enabled" when that line is closed that flags the account as ready to go mrv at just a flip of the switch. If the tech didnt install the equipment needed and the customer calls to add mrv, then it doesnt work they open a service call.

#8 OFFLINE   Ether

Ether

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

Whole home via ethernet was never supported.

Understood. Poor wording on my part.

I was part of the beta a few years ago and it worked well. It's encouraging to read that DECA will perform fine.

#9 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,893 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

All installs now include deca even if whole home is not ordered. There is a line item on the work "mrv enabled" when that line is closed that flags the account as ready to go mrv at just a flip of the switch. If the tech didnt install the equipment needed and the customer calls to add mrv, then it doesnt work they open a service call.

Thanks for the correction;

Guess I should have surmised as much, particularly given that most new installs nowadays are likely the HR24, H25, and HR34 anyway which all have internal DECAs.

So beyond maybe installing a CCK, its not like its any real additional labor or potentially wasted DECA gear involved in most cases to make them all WH ready without actual MRV activation ... :)

#10 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the correction;

Guess I should have surmised as much, particularly given that most new installs nowadays are likely the HR24, H25, and HR34 anyway which all have internal DECAs.

So beyond maybe installing a CCK, its not like its any real additional labor or potentially wasted DECA gear involved in most cases to make them all WH ready without actual MRV activation ... :)

I think this may be due to the change to ARS, that combines the HD, DVR, MRV fees.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall