Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

So...do you like the 921?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   toddjb

toddjb

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:07 PM

I guess what I'm looking for is a thumbs-up or thumbs-down on the 921.
Should I purchase one as soon as it is available to me or wait?

I know...there is a ton of information in this forum but it is a little overwhelming :read: for the casual observer that just wants to know if he should buy one. (lots of bug reports, feature questions, etc.)

I'm not excited by the HDTV content currently offered by Dish, since I don't have any movie channels and don't qualify for my local CBS HDTV station. However, I am interested in the OTA HD recording capability and hopefully more HDTV offerings from Dish in the future.

So, anyone who is using the 921... :up: or :down: ?

Thanks!
-todd :flag:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:11 PM

To me, the 921 is a big thumbs up, even with the current problems.

If you're looking for mainly OTA recording, wait a couple of weeks, and then ask your question again. Answers will be very different then.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 Guest_Earl Zuberbelt_*

Guest_Earl Zuberbelt_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:39 PM

I know...there is a ton of information in this forum but it is a little overwhelming :read: for the casual observer that just wants to know if he should buy one. (lots of bug reports, feature questions, etc.)

I'm not excited by the HDTV content currently offered by Dish, since I don't have any movie channels and don't qualify for my local CBS HDTV station. However, I am interested in the OTA HD recording capability and hopefully more HDTV offerings from Dish in the future.

Just got word my 921 and monitor is a few days away and I anticipate no delays in the install. I'll look back here after my first few days with the system and let you know what I think.

Lot of DISH Knockers on this site, believe many claim to have this and that, and they really don't.

Based on experience with both 721 and 501 receivers, I hope the 921 will just be that much better a viewing experience!

We waited for the 921 because we simply have gotten so used to DVR features, and we're willing to pay the extra $$ for the feature in hi-def.

-Earl
Yankee born Southern bred

#4 OFFLINE   Throwbot

Throwbot

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 04:11 PM

Thanks!

I definitely would steer clear and NOT buy one.
Not until after I have got mine that is.

#5 OFFLINE   jcord51

jcord51

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 04:32 PM

Come on, who you kidding! The Darn picture looks like viewing a window and gives you the opportunity of adding almost any new HD channel via OTA.

#6 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 05:33 PM

Just got word my 921 and monitor

Did you do the HDTV-in-a-box w/ upgrade to 921 deal by chance? If so, are you an existing subscriber? Or new?

The CES press release says that the deal applies to existing customers also, but I've been unable to find anywhere to buy it from as of yet as an existing subscriber (or even as a new subscriber for that matter -- the Dish WOW-HDTV people said they don't have any info about the 921 upgrade to the HDTV-in-a-box package)...

- John...

#7 OFFLINE   Jim Parker

Jim Parker

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 05:56 PM

Thumbs up for me. Yes there are bugs, but no show stoppers for me. Anchorage doesn't have OTA digital yet, so the biggest bug is not a problem for me. I really like the dual tuner, improved guide and a BIG thumbs up for HD. Not that many HD channels, but more will be added in the next 6 months. This is still the ground floor for HD, so it will get better.

#8 OFFLINE   rudolpht

rudolpht

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 04:45 PM

Come on, who you kidding! The Darn picture looks like viewing a window and gives you the opportunity of adding almost any new HD channel via OTA.

I don't understand what this means. Adding any new OTA channel via OTA. Good concept, if OTA worked.

#9 OFFLINE   Ronald K

Ronald K

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 07:20 PM

The 921/Dish Network provides a fabulous HD picture. The 921 may be the most advanced piece of Home Theater equipment ever released to the public.

I understand that anything this new and this sophisticated is going to have problems. I am here to help in any way that I can although the rest of you are 10 times more knowledgeable than I am.

My unit has every bug listed in this forum. I watch mostly OTA network shows and as a result my TV life over the past week that I have had the 921 has been one of the more frustrating in my life.

If there is one single issue that upsets me more than anything else it is not that the 921 has an incredible number of major bugs and should have not been released in its current form - no - it is because Dish is not being forth coming and giving us a daily update regarding the fix or fixes.

We are not little kids. We can handle the truth - even if it changes on a daily basis.

How long will it be before there is a chance that it will begin getting better. Be honest with me. If it is a few days from now fine. If it is a few weeks from now let me/us know and I will set up my Oval Dish/ antenna and DTC-100 until the 921 works better than it does.

Let us know. To keep silent is only pissing me off. Some are suggesting a release of the beta fix. The way I see it - the fact that I have a piece of equipment that is virtually worthless at this moment certainly gives me the impression that I am a beta tester anyway. Give me the latest version.

DISH ----Talk to us!

#10 OFFLINE   mofiz

mofiz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 08:01 PM

i bought it mainly for the OTA shows and it has been a disaster so far. i had to reboot my expensive 921 atleast 10 times yesterday.

#11 OFFLINE   MattG

MattG

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 09:52 PM

Despite the obvious OTA bugs the 921 is an excellent receiver. The ability to record 2 HD channels simultaneously while watching a 3rd recorded HD channel is pretty remarkable from a software/hardware standpoint. I've seen the OTA bug and the grey X screen of death several times but by simply not tuning to the weak HD feeds you can avoid the problem until the next firmware release. I held off on getting a 721 or a 521 and I have no regrets on waiting until the 921 came out.

#12 OFFLINE   JBTcajun

JBTcajun

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 10:22 PM

I have been waiting a long time! Had made up my mind get the 811, then started looking around and the 921 fits my bill. As stated before I am monetarily challenged.

Here is the plan and hope it is a good one.
Programing is approx 50.00/m
I'll add 25.00/m equipment purchase
75.00/m to savings

When the cost and the account meet I will be in the HD-watching-recording-finally happy camp.
As an added bonus my "TV expense" will go down 25.00 when the bullet is bit.

they said 811 was gonna cost but is if free already so maybe the wait will not be that much longer.

the new hd tivo might speed the falling costs

Anxious in the rural space!!!

#13 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 10:58 PM

After having a few days playing with mine I am more excited now than when I unboxed it and went through the install process. I have had a chnace to set some timers and record some HD both OTA and satellite. Unbelievable PQ.

Since I figured out (with the help of this board) that you don't need to reboot the 921 if the OTA craps out, just re-add the channel back in (30 sec process) and the 921 seems happy again I am able to see more and more that I am going to love this guy once he is all grown up!

#14 OFFLINE   928gt

928gt

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 08:21 AM

921 gets 2 thunbs up from me.

I purchased mine for what it is, an HD SATELLITE Receiver and Recorder and it does that flawlessly (ok, the aspect modes for SD stuff is a little off at the moment).

Mine has been used daily and nightly for 9 straight days and NOT A SINGLE REBOOT OR GLITCH !!

Sure, if I want to make it reboot, I can waste my time and do all the things that everyone here knows will cause it, but I have better things to do with my life.

My 921 Views, Records and plays back everythng I ask it to without muss or fuss and the picture is GREAT !!

Sure it has OTA bugs, I personally could care less, I have had Sat locals for years and for $5.99 a month to not have to deal with old tech antennas and getting guide info is a no brainer for me. Besides where I live, if In had a 200 foot tower I might could get 1 digital channel, so OTA features are wasted processing for my 921.

Everyone has their personal needs and each location is different, but for me the 921 is TOPS, and when new features and small fixes are done it will be icing on top of the best cake I have ever had (trust me, I have had a LOT of cake :-)

Bottom line, If you want an HD Sat Receiver/Recorder, you are just wasting time in delaying your purchase and missing out on a great TV experience.

I like it so much I am searching for 921 #2 now, BTW for any of you guys that don't like your 921, if you hate it that much, sell it to me, I will buy it for $900 TODAY and Paypal or FedEx a cashiers check Immediately !!

Come on, if it is really that bad, DUMP IT for a $100 loss and SELL that "peice of crap"... TO ME !!

Dave

#15 OFFLINE   fjerina

fjerina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 08:47 AM

I really like my 921 and will love it when the OTA bugs are fixed. If you want to record any satellite program then the DVR is fabulous. I love it. However, until the OTA bugs are fixed the only way for me to record OTA programs is to manually start it then stop it. I can live with that for awhile. I started the DVR for CBS before I left for a meeting to catch CSI and when I got home I had 3 hours of a recording, stopped it, then fast forwarded with the 300x speed to the start of CSI. The picture quality it superb. It's hard to believe it is a recording!!!

#16 OFFLINE   mofiz

mofiz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 08:51 AM

i cant belive u guys will settle for half finished 921....it only takes 30 secs to scan the OTA ch??? in my dream....i wonder how many of us will buy a car and give thumbs up knowing power windows will work in few weeks but for now u can roll your windows manually. i am just disappointed plus all the good sitcoms are on network tvs.

#17 OFFLINE   kstevens

kstevens

Icon

• Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 12:25 PM

i cant belive u guys will settle for half finished 921....it only takes 30 secs to scan the OTA ch??? in my dream....i wonder how many of us will buy a car and give thumbs up knowing power windows will work in few weeks but for now u can roll your windows manually. i am just disappointed plus all the good sitcoms are on network tvs.

I believe this thread was about people that owned a 921 on how they like it, not those who can't get one so disses it when ever they get a chance.

Ken

#18 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 01:10 PM

i cant belive u guys will settle for half finished 921....it only takes 30 secs to scan the OTA ch??? in my dream....

Yes, thats all it takes.

Menu - go to add DTV screen

Bring up the signal strength meter, enter channel number.

Alow to lock, save and exit.

Your 921 (or at leat mine) is happy again and OTA is now functioning normal

Your 921 might only be half finished but mine is at least 90% finished. :D

Oh and my cup is half full, not half empty.

#19 OFFLINE   mofiz

mofiz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 01:13 PM

well my money is hard earned so thats why i complained......i like your positive attitude though. and ken i do own one.

#20 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 02:22 PM

i cant belive u guys will settle for half finished 921....

I don't think anyone is "settling" for the current state of the 921. I didn't see anyone say "I'm thrilled with it as it is and plan to NOT accept any more firmware updates." There is a big difference between accepting the current state based on knowing that updates are coming -- and "settling" for it as-is.

i wonder how many of us will buy a car and give thumbs up knowing power windows will work in few weeks but for now u can roll your windows manually.

Lots of people would -- if that is what it took to get the faster car out there, for example. People are willing to overlook temporary issues in order to use the rest of the car until those issues are corrected. If the dealership said "I can give you the car today, but you'll have to manually roll your windows for three weeks before it is automatically fixed by Ford" -- well, I think lots of people wouldn't worry about it, would take the car now, and just not worry about the "power window feature" for a while.

- John...

spam firewall