Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

So...do you like the 921?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mofiz

mofiz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 02:23 PM

good point.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   toddjb

toddjb

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 12:16 AM

Great "thumbs" feedback. Thanks! :)

It sounds pretty good. I think I'll take some of your advice and wait for your reviews after the next couple of releases. Right now my fiance will sit upstairs for an hour watching our old 501 display the "disk spinning up" message (not being able to pause or change channels) just to avoid walking downstairs to reset the receiver. So, with her being at least a 50% user...well, I think I should wait for a little more stability! :D Luckily our 508 rarely crashes.

Thanks again,
-todd :flag:

#23 OFFLINE   928gt

928gt

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 08:52 AM

If the dealership said "I can give you the car today, but you'll have to manually roll your windows for three weeks before it is automatically fixed by Ford" -- well, I think lots of people wouldn't worry about it, would take the car now, and just not worry about the "power window feature" for a while.

Especially if it was a Ford GT40, if a dealer called and said I could get one today, but the windows won't work for a few months.... I would be on my way to pick it up at WARP SPEED..... !!!!!!

Dave

#24 OFFLINE   mofiz

mofiz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 09:16 AM

my friend this isnt Ford GT40 some of us might think but I sure dont, I am just upset bc I dont know when they are going to fix this bug, was promised earlier of the month but that has come and gone. I sure miss my 721.

#25 OFFLINE   kstevens

kstevens

Icon

• Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 11:10 AM

my friend this isnt Ford GT40 some of us might think but I sure dont, I am just upset bc I dont know when they are going to fix this bug, was promised earlier of the month but that has come and gone. I sure miss my 721.

Dish never formally promised any fix at the beginning of the month. Everything I heard was rumor or second (third) hand information. If Dish thinks the upgrade software is not ready for prime time, then it must have some bad problems and I would rather that they hold off until the bugs are ironed out (or at least as much as then normally iron them out).

Ken

#26 OFFLINE   tahoerob

tahoerob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 07:15 PM

I too give THUMBS UP!
It is a great DUAL TUNER HDTV DVR RECEIVER. When the OTA issue is fixed (should be soon!?!?), then it will be worth every penny. It is still CHEAPER than a 811, 522\721, and a D-VHS or other HD recorder combined!!!! And you get one box & one remote to deal with!
I have more HD recorded now than I can watch!!!

#27 OFFLINE   Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 08:21 PM

Oh and my cup is half full, not half empty.

My cup has 50% contents :lol:
Mike Richardson

#28 OFFLINE   Throwbot

Throwbot

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 10:26 AM

My cup has 50% contents :lol:

I'm an engineer , the cup is twice as big as it needs to be. :grin:

#29 OFFLINE   MileHi

MileHi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 04:11 PM

i cant belive u guys will settle for half finished 921....it only takes 30 secs to scan the OTA ch??? in my dream....i wonder how many of us will buy a car and give thumbs up knowing power windows will work in few weeks but for now u can roll your windows manually. i am just disappointed plus all the good sitcoms are on network tvs.

I guess I'll have get my 921 once all the backorders are filled. OTA is not an issue since the location of my house would require a rather large antenna (that the neighbors would NOT like). I think you need to compare the 921 to computer technology or software rather that a car... And if you do that, then you will find that almosy ALL the newest S/W (and quite a bit of the H/W) is released with bugs galore... The 921 could be tested inhouse until the cows come home and they won't find half as many bugs as the average end-user will. So, if one doesn't want to be on the bleeding edge, then they should wait (like I am) until the product is inherently more stable.
So for all you folk that already have a 921... Hurry up and shake out all those bugs so I can get mine!!! :D

#30 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 04:39 PM

MileHi - where do you live? If you're reasonably close to downtown, you might be surprised what you can pull in with a little indoor uhf antenna - pretty much everything except for KMGH.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#31 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 09:10 PM

Buy it now for the HD channels if you don't have an HD receiver but you do have an HD monitor.

The HD channels coming off the satellite from E* look amazing with none of the compression artifacts that the D* folks are suffering through.

The SD Channels look good BUT there are still some challenges with the aspect ratios (I switch to 4:3 #2 even though I have a 16:9 set when watching SD... it looks better for now)

If you have to have OTA, wait a bit until the next release. Yes, they are buggy right now, but most of the non-OTA problems are self healing as the unit reboots itself and normally resolves the problem (note: it is a long 5-7 minute bootup sometimes)

A couple of spontaneous reboots here.... otherwise it is stable enough for me for now.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#32 OFFLINE   toddjb

toddjb

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 10:52 PM

Mark, are you talking about HDTV stations or just standard OTA broadcasts? One of the HDTV things I have been procrastinating was the assumption that I'd need to install an external antenna to pull in anything significant. If I could get by with a set top or even an attic antenna, that would be nice. Just curious...
-todd :flag:

#33 OFFLINE   kstevens

kstevens

Icon

• Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 04:55 AM

Mark, are you talking about HDTV stations or just standard OTA broadcasts? One of the HDTV things I have been procrastinating was the assumption that I'd need to install an external antenna to pull in anything significant. If I could get by with a set top or even an attic antenna, that would be nice. Just curious...

Depends on your location. I have a terk dish mounted antenna and it pulls in all of my digital stations. I'm about 20 miles away from them (luckily they are located all in the same general direction).

Ken

#34 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 08:40 AM

Toddjb -

My response was specific for Milehi because he also is here in Denver, and I'm very familiar with our HD situation here. Where you are in relation to the HD towers, what the terrain is like between you and the towers, and how much power they are transmitting all play a VERY BIG role in how easily or how much work you'll have to put in to receive the signals.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#35 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 09:09 AM

Has anyone else been using this trick? If your OTA tuner shows the black screen channel x.x /signal not found go into the add DTV menu add ANY station broadcasting in your area (even if its allready in your list, just re-add it) alow to lock, save it, hit cancel out of the next menu and viola, the channel you were trying to watch just a moment ago is now showing just fine. This is much faster than a full reboot and works everytime. You maybe able to change to another DTV channel or two but eventually it will happen again as we all know but this has worked everytime for me.

I can at least use the OTA tuner this way and I have recorded several OTA shows just fine (all manual start /stop of course)

I still like my 921!

#36 OFFLINE   Jerry G

Jerry G

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 10:07 AM

Has anyone else been using this trick? If your OTA tuner shows the black screen channel x.x /signal not found go into the add DTV menu add ANY station broadcasting in your area (even if its allready in your list, just re-add it) alow to lock, save it, hit cancel out of the next menu and viola, the channel you were trying to watch just a moment ago is now showing just fine. This is much faster than a full reboot and works everytime. You maybe able to change to another DTV channel or two but eventually it will happen again as we all know but this has worked everytime for me.

I can at least use the OTA tuner this way and I have recorded several OTA shows just fine (all manual start /stop of course)

I still like my 921!

Good suggestion. When I've seen that screen, I've often been able to resurrect the channel by deleting it and then adding it again. I'll try your method the next time it occurs.

I've also been able to successfully record some OTA channels with a timer. I've just made sure the channel is able to be received prior to creating the timer and then I make sure I don't do anything else with OTA until after the recording.

I'll be so happy when the next software release makes all of this unnecessary.

#37 OFFLINE   markcollins

markcollins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 08:37 PM

I've Had my 921 for a week now.I guess we paid the premium price and got all the bugs included!

#38 OFFLINE   Frank Z

Frank Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 08:29 AM

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat!
We will never forget!:flag:

#39 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 01:28 PM

If i'm gonna be cutting edge, I'm gonna get nicked once in a while. I DO get to show off to houseguests though. It's also fun making the A/V geeks at Best Buy and Circuit City jealous.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#40 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 03:13 PM

After using the 921 for a couple weeks, my girlfriend has reached the conclusion that the 921 is a piece of junk and should probably be scrapped. She said something to the extent of how she was upset about why it couldn't "just work" like the previous receiver (a 508) did. She can't believe we 'upgraded' and paid $1000 to get a receiver that constantly crashes and generally doesn't work right.

I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel yet, but honestly, some sort of "Customer Loyalty" credit should be added to our bills for putting up with this.

spam firewall