Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone receiving KOIN/CBS from Portland - Is your audio 'Screechy'?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Perhaps the ~2 million people in the KOIN area are all one-eared and could educate themselves so they could experience the joy of: "just awful, very strident, screechy voices", "screechy, ugly sound", and women who "sound like Pirates". Then again, maybe they don't think that's worth the effort! :)

101 debugging, COMPARE things!

I'm comparing the 2 million who don't appear to be complaining and the ones here who are specifically not complaining to the 1 (and only 1 so far) who is. Debugging 101 leads me to the conclusion that it's most likely on your end. It could be your equipment (as YOU originally suggested) or it could be your hearing as you seem to prefer now. If there were two or three complaining, then we might be able to find some common thread, but with 1 it's hard to do.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   winman97

winman97

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

This thread is quite long with a lot of back and forth, but did you DISCONNECT your sound system from the dish receiver and connect dish receiver audio output to the tv's audio input and listen to the sound through the TV speakers. If so, was the screechy sound still there?
If so and the sound is still there, it is your dish receiver. Do you have a second dish receiver in the house that has the screechy sound on the same channel?

It could even be the LNB on the Dish. I once had a customer that had one or two channels that would just blank out and not return until the next morning. Then that afternoon the same channel(s) would blank out again and and not return until the next day. Changed the LNB and that fixed the problem.

Edited by winman97, 06 February 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

And the man with 1 ear can not hear stereo and the man with 1 eye can not see depth!

:)

What is your point?

KOIN is fine. I have it on right now, for example. I have NEVER noticed any issues with KOIN.

#24 OFFLINE   RVRambler

RVRambler

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

MODERATOR, PLEASE CLOSE/LOCK THIS THREAD, PLEASE!

Thanks, but I can tell you did not read all MY posts, I compared & eliminated the equip, long ago.

Being a past audiophile and having an Elec. Engineering degree & long interest in audio, methods of and equip., designing some stereo equipment even, & reading many research lit. on hearing and ppl's perceptions, I am not surprised with the responses here.

What's funny is the 'certainty' of ppl's convictions, especially when they have ONLY 1 CBS station to sample (I compared KOIN to at least 4 other CBS stations), no ability to compare but yet, they are so certain its my problem not KOIN's.

Strange, Funny, Sad, but not surprising with the casual/layperson's perceptions and certainty with so little foundation of experience or education, and not knowing how easily a humans senses/thoughts are fooled, good and bad.

The human brain really does some wonderful things, both hearing and seeing are SO very complex, human perceptions are fooled so very often (to the good often, ie mp3, mpeg2/4, etc) but you do not or may not perceive it unless you know the science, and maybe not even then.

So I should have NEVER started this thread, but first thought it a 'Dish' signal issue, even though I heard it with DTV the previous summer, but had forgotten, my mistake in starting and maintaining this silly thread !! :)

I just wonder why it is ONLY KOIN that I hear this, oh forgot, KCBS (LA) did not have screechy audio either - 5 CBS stations!!

Let this dead horse lay dead! Please! RIP dead horse! :)

This thread is quite long with a lot of back and forth, but did you DISCONNECT your sound system from the dish receiver and connect dish receiver audio output to the tv's audio input and listen to the sound through the TV speakers. If so, was the screechy sound still there?
If so and the sound is still there, it is your dish receiver. Do you have a second dish receiver in the house that has the screechy sound on the same channel?

It could even be the LNB on the Dish. I once had a customer that had one or two channels that would just blank out and not return until the next morning. Then that afternoon the same channel(s) would blank out again and and not return until the next day. Changed the LNB and that fixed the problem.

Rambling 'Round n RV'

VIP-722k
1000.2, Dual DPP rooftop

#25 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

Thanks, but I can tell you did not read all MY posts, I compared & eliminated the equip, long ago.

People tend to get lost in windy posts after the first couple of sentences; especially when the poster seems to be talking more about their life story than the supposed problem.

The insistence that posters who didn't agree must have an intolerable sound system or must have significant hearing loss didn't win you any support.

A real EE might have offered instrumented analyses and certainly wouldn't make comparisons based on memory.

AVSForum might be a better fit for a thread like this as there are many there who discuss such things (their self-decided awesomeness) at every opportunity.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#26 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Harsh wins the thread! :)

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#27 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

What's funny is the 'certainty' of ppl's convictions, especially when they have ONLY 1 CBS station to sample (I compared KOIN to at least 4 other CBS stations), no ability to compare but yet, they are so certain its my problem not KOIN's.

Well you claimed that women sound like Pirates which I think most people would notice without looking at a difference signal through an oscilloscope. :)

Why close the thread? You might someday find a second person who can hear an issue. Maybe you'll both be golden-eared audiophiles and it will confirm your suspicion. Or maybe it will tell you something else.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...