Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wild Blue Installers...question about necessary tools.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

The one I posted used to be the cheapest version. They likely arn't made anymore. I only saw one on Amazon and the fella thought it was worth its weight in gold. If you can get the one on e-bay for less than twenty that would be a good deal.

To get a Channel Master Cheap check out their web site.

http://www.channelma...Meters_s/29.htm

The battery and tone are overkill for wildblue since you don't need them but for forty bucks(they wern't charging me any tax, I didn't check shipping) its got to be one of the best meters on the market.

Yeah, that 1007A is on closeout, and even with shipping, it's 53.86......so it's cheaper than the Ebay one I posted, and brand new. I like the case the one on Ebay was in, but those can't be too hard to find.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

In a pinch you can use the Birdog Ultra, no APAs, attenuators, or modem power required,

Just to be clear....will only the Ultra work, and not the regular Birdog?

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#23 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

My birddog would pass out pretty quick if I connected it to a Tria. The company I work for provides AIMs(me) or Birddogs(USB4.0 Plus I think), the techs that do Wildblue also get a Channel Master, if they need one. If you read the Hype on Solid Signals web site about the Birddog Ultra you will see its the only Signal Meter in the World that can do Wild Blue.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#24 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

My birddog would pass out pretty quick if I connected it to a Tria. The company I work for provides AIMs(me) or Birddogs(USB4.0 Plus I think), the techs that do Wildblue also get a Channel Master, if they need one. If you read the Hype on Solid Signals web site about the Birddog Ultra you will see its the only Signal Meter in the World that can do Wild Blue.

Ok cool.....thanks for the info. Just wanted to double check, then I'd be set if I got in with Directv a little later. Looks like channel master it is then. :)

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#25 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

Yes, as posted the USB plus 4.0 Ultra is capable of powering Wildblue Trias. This is what I use for everything, very versatile and good battery life vs. previous models. Again, the Channel Master is better for getting the most accurate peak with WB but the Birdog will work in a pinch.

#26 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

Yes, as posted the USB plus 4.0 Ultra is capable of powering Wildblue Trias. This is what I use for everything, very versatile and good battery life vs. previous models. Again, the Channel Master is better for getting the most accurate peak with WB but the Birdog will work in a pinch.

Yeah, the Birdog is just too pricey for what I need....can't justify it.

On a side note, I got a Suunto Tandem on Ebay for $86 shipped, and it's definitely brand new, but the serial number on the box doesn't match the serial number on the Tandem. I called Suunto, and they said they just go by the reference # on the box, and it says balanced for Zone 1, but with the serial number on the box not matching the one on the Tandem, they couldn't verify if the actual unit is balanced for Zone 1. Seems strange to me that they can't verify by just the serial number. But anyway.....correct me if I'm wrong, but simply comparing the compass on the Tandem to another compass would validate that, yes? If it points the same general direction of another compass, it should be good, I would assume. I would think it would be way off if it was balanced for any other region. Just wanted to clarify if I'm right on that.

Edited by Soulweeper, 04 August 2012 - 07:35 PM.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#27 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

That would work.

Another option if you can stand level with your DirecTv Dish would be to take the tilt out. Stand 15 to 20 feet in front of the dish and move back and forth till the lnb is centered between the reflecter bolts. Look through your compass and get the azimuth. You should see both the forward and back azimuth, this would be for the 101. Put the tilt back. Go to http://www.dishpointer.com/ put in your zip and the 101 both azimuths should be pretty close.

You can also use this method to line up your Wildblues in conjunction with your angle finder when come outside after pluging in the modem the tria should be screaming.

#28 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

That would work.

Another option if you can stand level with your DirecTv Dish would be to take the tilt out. Stand 15 to 20 feet in front of the dish and move back and forth till the lnb is centered between the reflecter bolts. Look through your compass and get the azimuth. You should see both the forward and back azimuth, this would be for the 101. Put the tilt back. Go to http://www.dishpointer.com/ put in your zip and the 101 both azimuths should be pretty close.

You can also use this method to line up your Wildblues in conjunction with your angle finder when come outside after pluging in the modem the tria should be screaming.

Thanks. I ended up having some problems with the seller and the item.....long story. I'll be getting another one....probably brand new, unless a great deal comes up on Ebay. I like the idea of having a warranty on something like that too.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#29 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:33 AM

Is this method you speak of an alternative to the '3 pass' method we were taught in class........where the modem learns the best signal? I'm sure I'm missing something here. :)

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#30 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:33 AM

No thats just how I get on the bird without wasting a bunch of time. You still have to add the skew and do your three passes.

#31 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

No thats just how I get on the bird without wasting a bunch of time. You still have to add the skew and do your three passes.

Ah......ok gotcha.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#32 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

The Job Aid shows a Channel Master meter very similar to the one samrs posted, I use the exact meter from the Job Aid.

This might seem like a stupid question, but the one shown in the job aid is a 1007IFD, and it has been replaced by the 1007A, which was on closeout at the Channel Master site (thanks samrs). The first one was defective, and they replaced it, with another one that has a broken needle, which is beyond belief to me. Anyway, the guys says they are out of stock on the 1007A(even though it still shows on the site), and he got approval to replace it with the 1008IFD, which he said is like having two 1007A's.

Would you know of any reason why this wouldn't be just fine?
http://www.channelma.../cm-1008ifd.htm

It does appear to be simply two meters in one box, and they seem to be the same as the one I originally got, and it might be overkill, but if that's all they can replace it with, I'm good with it, as long as it isn't defective too. Just thought I'd ask here, since my faith in Channel Master is a little suspect at the moment.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#33 OFFLINE   PhoenixTech

PhoenixTech

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

I need guys in Waco and DFW asap. I will pay for certs and give a fuel allowance for the firs three weeks. I pay 100ins, 60upg, 40svc. 90% installs 2-3 a day more for anyone that can handle the load, I have to much work and need help. Thanks
Cody Whitwood
cwhitwood@cablepros.biz
LiveBroadband
D/FW & Waco
WildBlue Mgr

Protected By... spam firewall...And...