Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR-34 won't downconvert 1080P/24 on demand to 1080i

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BJB

BJB

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

I have an HR-34 and a few HR-24's. I had this problem before on an HR-24 but not since.

I have an earlier generation HDTV that only supports 1080P/60. The TV is connected via HDMI and it does not support 1080P/24. Of course since that is the case I have never...on any of my DTV boxes for that TV over the years chosen 1080P.

First, I triple checked that 1080P was NOT checked on the HR34 HDTV menu. I chose a movie from channel 1100 Cinema on Demand. "Safehouse" if that matters for this purpose. The movie began to download and I started it after a good chunk was available. At this point my TV tells me I had an "unsupported signal" (just audio) and the resolution light on the HR34 was set to 1080P! Even though that was not checked as a supported resolution. Now the last time this happened when my HR24 was hooked up to that TV, I was able to use the hard button on the front of the unit to force the resolution to change to 1080i which then worked.

With the HR34, the button on the front would not allow me to change the resolution from 1080P. So I could not watch the movie on demand.

I am sure there are more than a few people that might be watching HDTV on a set like this. Or perhaps they are using a smaller more inexpensive 720P TV. It seems like the unit should respect the settings in its setup and downrez the picture accordingly. In some cases movies are ONLY available in 1080P, especially the download/on demand.

Is there something I am missing? Is this a known issue or can it be reported as such? Last time this happened, I gave up trying to get DTV tech support to try to understand the issue,and the workaround was not that bad. But now that workaround does not work. Seems like this is another inconsistency on how the HR34 handles some menu/gui things and how the old unit does. Even if the HR24 did not automatically handle the switch, at least I could change the resolution and watch the movie!:)

Any help most appreciated,
BJB

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

I have an HR-34 and a few HR-24's. I had this problem before on an HR-24 but not since.

I have an earlier generation HDTV that only supports 1080P/60. The TV is connected via HDMI and it does not support 1080P/24. Of course since that is the case I have never...on any of my DTV boxes for that TV over the years chosen 1080P.

First, I triple checked that 1080P was NOT checked on the HR34 HDTV menu. I chose a movie from channel 1100 Cinema on Demand. "Safehouse" if that matters for this purpose. The movie began to download and I started it after a good chunk was available. At this point my TV tells me I had an "unsupported signal" (just audio) and the resolution light on the HR34 was set to 1080P! Even though that was not checked as a supported resolution. Now the last time this happened when my HR24 was hooked up to that TV, I was able to use the hard button on the front of the unit to force the resolution to change to 1080i which then worked.

With the HR34, the button on the front would not allow me to change the resolution from 1080P. So I could not watch the movie on demand.

I am sure there are more than a few people that might be watching HDTV on a set like this. Or perhaps they are using a smaller more inexpensive 720P TV. It seems like the unit should respect the settings in its setup and downrez the picture accordingly. In some cases movies are ONLY available in 1080P, especially the download/on demand.

Is there something I am missing? Is this a known issue or can it be reported as such? Last time this happened, I gave up trying to get DTV tech support to try to understand the issue,and the workaround was not that bad. But now that workaround does not work. Seems like this is another inconsistency on how the HR34 handles some menu/gui things and how the old unit does. Even if the HR24 did not automatically handle the switch, at least I could change the resolution and watch the movie!:)

Any help most appreciated,
BJB

Do you have Native on or Native Off. Native on will pass through the signal with no converson and ignore any of the resolution settings.

Edited by azarby, 05 July 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   BJB

BJB

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

Do you have Native on or Native Off. Native on will pass through the signal with no converson and ignoore any of the resolution settings.

Hmmmm... I do have Native on like I always do. However I also know that over the years since 1080P movies came out that I've also had it on Native and not had an issue watching them.

But if that allows me to watch 1080P downloads I will definitely try it. I still think the HR34 should allow you to change the resolution with the button on the front of the unit like the HR24 did.

Thanks,

BJB

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:08 AM

Hmmmm... I do have Native on like I always do. However I also know that over the years since 1080P movies came out that I've also had it on Native and not had an issue watching them.

But if that allows me to watch 1080P downloads I will definitely try it. I still think the HR34 should allow you to change the resolution with the button on the front of the unit like the HR24 did.

Thanks,

BJB

The button will change the resolution, but as stated if you have Native On, it passes through the original resolution.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:14 AM

Was the movie you wanted to watch only available in 1080P? Seems silly to DL that format. Why not choose the HD only version?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...