Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Planning on cancelling DirecTV - what can I expect

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   esayre

esayre

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

I am pretty sure I am going to cancel DirecTV when my contract expires this month. I have been out of the loop for a while so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

I am cancelling because we just don't see the value in keeping it anymore. Money is getting tighter too.

What can I expect from retention?

I currently have Choice Xtra Classic with the sports package, Fox Soccer Channel, HD programming and 4 DVRs.

Will they happily just tell me to have a nice day? I'm ok with that, just looking for input so I am prepared when I call.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

I am pretty sure I am going to cancel DirecTV when my contract expires this month. I have been out of the loop for a while so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

I am cancelling because we just don't see the value in keeping it anymore. Money is getting tighter too.

What can I expect from retention?

I currently have Choice Xtra Classic with the sports package, Fox Soccer Channel, HD programming and 4 DVRs.

Will they happily just tell me to have a nice day? I'm ok with that, just looking for input so I am prepared when I call.

They might just say thank you and ask what day you want the cancellation effective for or they might try to give you incentives to stay. There's really no way to predict. If you end up canceling, be sure to have return kits sent for all of your DVRs so that you can return them and not get charged the non-return fee. If you don't have the kits within a week, call back up to check on them.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

If you're planning on cancelling, what do you expect them to do? You expect them to just cut your bill because you don't think its worth it? You can drop some of your programming, you could cut back on a dvr or 2, etc....to help with the monhtly's.

#4 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

If you're planning on cancelling-You can expect Complete Loss of Signal :D
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#5 OFFLINE   bigmike200587

bigmike200587

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

If you're planning on cancelling-You can expect Complete Loss of Signal :D

+1
Self Built Xion Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz
Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB Ram

I am a DIRECTV employee however all views, expressions, opinions, facts, platitudes, conjecture, compliments, criticisms, are mine even if logic dictates otherwise and are not on behalf of DIRECTV, TiVo, Thompson/RCA, Technicolor, LG, Samsung, Zinwell, or any company that may or may not be affiliated, contracted with, in the same country, making money, not for profit, or a government entity.

#6 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

I canceled last October and switched to FiOS with 8 months remaining on my contract. DirecTV didn't make any special offers to keep me until a week or so after I canceled.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#7 OFFLINE   esayre

esayre

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

If you're planning on cancelling, what do you expect them to do? You expect them to just cut your bill because you don't think its worth it? You can drop some of your programming, you could cut back on a dvr or 2, etc....to help with the monhtly's.

I don't know what to expect which is why I asked the question. I was merely trying to take the temperature of what retention was doing these days.

#8 OFFLINE   shuye

shuye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

Before you call - figure out what you think the value you get is worth. If they give you a $10 per month discount, will that do it? Can you drop programming and / or DVR's to get to the $ amount you are looking for?

I would just call up and tell them that you want to cancel because you are no longer getting a precieved value for the amount you pay each month. They may or may not offer you a discount based on your account and history with them. If they do and it is right for you, great. If not, cancel and see if they offer you something in a week or two to come back to them.

#9 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

I don't know what to expect which is why I asked the question. I was merely trying to take the temperature of what retention was doing these days.

As has already been stated, you should go into the conversation with an idea of what you would need to be "retained". They may offer you a $10/month discount, but that might not meet your needs - only you know that.

Also Retention operates under a different set of parameters than the group that will probably try to get you to come back should you actually disconnect. It makes no sense that they would actually let you disconnect and then offer you an even better deal to reconnect, but it can happen that way.

Good luck:)

#10 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

I canceled last October and switched to FiOS with 8 months remaining on my contract. DirecTV didn't make any special offers to keep me until a week or so after I canceled.

Precisely.

If you are ready to cancel, I would advise to suspend your account for six months, then contact it, letting it know that you would like to cancel.

At that point, you have much more leverage as you have demonstrated that you can do without D*.
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#11 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

What is your problem? The guy respectfully and simply asked what to expect. That's all. He didn't say I demand them to give me something so how do I get it?!

#12 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

The first thing you should is cancel the credit card (if any) of yours they have on file. Keeps them from charging those pesky "mistakes" and "computer glitches" on your card.

#13 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Here's what I'd say to you. We were planning on canceling last week. We called up and told them to cancel it and with the $30 of credits on my account I expected them to say ta-ta. I just didn't feel like we could afford what we had anymore even with those credits. Then they started asking what it is we watch. We told them. They suggested dropping to Choice. I always knew it existed but didn't think I'd ever want to drop that far mainly due to losing the NHL Network and WGN. But, decided to do it. The person also gave us another like $30-$35 off the bill, plus a couple months of whole home for free. It's been a week and we don't miss anything we don't have. I noticed I still get Cubs games through EI if I want to watch, even if they are on WGN. Plus, I do plan to order NHL CI and will get NHL Network during the season with that which is the only time I ever watch any of the league specific channels. So, doesn't look like I am really going miss anything. Its possible they may offer you discounts or discounts if you lower your package. Just a thought.

#14 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

That new "Entertainment" package is a pretty good deal-much better than anything cable offers around here and a million times better than that worthless "Family" package DirecTV used to peddle for $30.

If the Entertainment package and one receiver are too expensive, it's time you started looking for a good spot on your roof for a new over the air antenna! ;)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#15 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

I am also going to call to cancel soon, my question is do we prepay for service? If my bill is due at the end of July, is that for August's watching or is it for the month of July?

#16 OFFLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

I am also going to call to cancel soon, my question is do we prepay for service? If my bill is due at the end of July, is that for August's watching or is it for the month of July?

You prepay for the next month with cable/sat, which is why you usually pay for two months in the beginning...

#17 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

Thanks. I should be clear if I cancel before my due date.

#18 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

If you look at your statement, the columns toward the left show the actual dates of the various services that are covered on that bill.

And, yes, when you pay your bill, you are paying for the upcoming month's service. That is why, if you cancel a service, say HBO, in the middle of your billing cycle, your next statement will include a partial month's credit for the time during that month after you canceled the service. On the other hand, if you add a service during the middle of your billing cycle, your next statement will show both the charge for the upcoming month of that service and a partial month's charge for the part of the previous month when you had the service but had not yet paid for it on that previous month's statement.

Edited by lesz, 08 July 2012 - 08:39 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

Here's what happened to me last year. When I switched to Comcast last July, I scaled back my D* services significantly. The CSR tried to offer me discounts to stay at my current level, but I told them that I had switched to cable. 6 weeks later, I canceled my service completely. The initial CSR offered discounts for me to stay since I had been with D* for 12 years. Then a few days later, retention called, but they made no offers.

When I dropped Comcast 3 weeks ago to return, they made zero effort to keep me. I took my equipment to the local Comcast store and the CSR there basically cancelled my service no questions asked. Last week, a Comcast retention person called and wanted to know why I cancelled. I explained to her that they had raised the per outlet and HD fees to a ridiculous level that it was no longer worth keeping. She said your new provider has those fees as well, but I told her but your fees are far more costly. She had no reply for that.

So, the long and short of it is, each person will have their own personal experience when they cancel service.

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - 2014

#20 OFFLINE   esayre

esayre

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

So, the long and short of it is, each person will have their own personal experience when they cancel service.

Thanks for all the input. Kinda looking forward to going without - I have had DirecTV since almost the beginning (1994?), so it will be odd.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...