Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Planning on cancelling DirecTV - what can I expect

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

When I dropped Comcast 3 weeks ago to return, they made zero effort to keep me. I took my equipment to the local Comcast store and the CSR there basically cancelled my service no questions asked. Last week, a Comcast retention person called and wanted to know why I cancelled. I explained to her that they had raised the per outlet and HD fees to a ridiculous level that it was no longer worth keeping. She said your new provider has those fees as well, but I told her but your fees are far more costly. She had no reply for that.

I remember a years ago that Time Werner was running Commercials and Ads saying that cable was Superior to Satellite due to no rain fade and weather conditions (blah blah)..I went with a Friend of mine to turn in his cable box equipment because he was moving and I asked the CSR at the desk if this statement was true and she said yes it was.
So I asked her "Than why are there 4 big Parabolic dish antenna's in the front of the building? Don't you get the signal from Space?"

She had no answer for that..:lol::lol::lol:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,425 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

I remember a years ago that Time Werner was running Commercials and Ads saying that cable was Superior to Satellite due to no rain fade and weather conditions (blah blah)..I went with a Friend of mine to turn in his cable box equipment because he was moving and I asked the CSR at the desk if this statement was true and she said yes it was.
So I asked her "Than why are there 4 big Parabolic dish antenna's in the front of the building? Don't you get the signal from Space?"

She had no answer for that..:lol::lol::lol:

In Time Warner's defense (and I don't do this often), those kinds of dishes and signals are very different. If you look at the Los Angeles Broadcast Center for DirecTV, they have a lot of dishes. Rain Fade there would cause a lot of outages.

We could probably improve the signal by using 30" dishes. No one wants one of those anymore unless you live in Alaska.

#23 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

i suspended then a few months later called to cancel..she first offered 20 off /mo for a year..then offered lower priced packages..and even some other kind of deal. i forget now

told her i cant spend a dime, sorry..

now i get mailings very very frequently. so if anyone is worried about not being able to go back, looks like that's not an issue. .. the deals look decent if you are interested.
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
HR10-250 63 hrs w/DB8 antenna (parts :))
1/2 full Sony T60 (historical value)

#24 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

opened up todays offer..4 receivers...30 bucks for entertainment package..3 mos premiums..free sunday ticket
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
HR10-250 63 hrs w/DB8 antenna (parts :))
1/2 full Sony T60 (historical value)

#25 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

I cancelled DirecTV several months ago for FiOS and have since gotten 5 or 6 "We want you back" letters, with DirecTV even offering to pay $200 towards my cancellation fee along with discounted programming. I'm actually pretty happy with FiOS and with their promotional pricing I'm still getting a better value with them compared to what DirecTV is offering. Since I was never unhappy with DirecTV, I may very well return to them after my contract with FiOS is up. It all depends who gives me the best offer.

#26 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

Given the length of time you have been with D*, I would definitely ask for retention when you call.
Be honest, tell them why you are canceling.
I suspect you will be offered a pretty good deal to stay again given the length of time you have been with D*.
Depending on what other services are available in your area, if you do leave be prepared for disappointment. Even FiOs does not compare to D* in overall quality of service.

Hope you stay for your sake.

#27 OFFLINE   tpayne105

tpayne105

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:44 PM

I cancelled DirecTV several months ago for FiOS and have since gotten 5 or 6 "We want you back" letters, with DirecTV even offering to pay $200 towards my cancellation fee along with discounted programming. I'm actually pretty happy with FiOS and with their promotional pricing I'm still getting a better value with them compared to what DirecTV is offering. Since I was never unhappy with DirecTV, I may very well return to them after my contract with FiOS is up. It all depends who gives me the best offer.

I agree exactly. I had been with Directv since, ready... 1996. It just got too expensive with the FIOS deals. I really do like Directv and also may return someday. I will say I have not received any offers to return...or anything like that....

I think one day Directv will come down in price to match the bundles others offer....

#28 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:56 AM

with what content owners are demanding, prices from all service providers are only going higher - much higher.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#29 OFFLINE   falkor

falkor

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

Why ask for retention . From what I can discern here , the OP sees no value and is looking forward to dropping . Call and cancel the service . Simple .:) You hurt no one's feelings by leaving . Your choice and it is what you want so just do it .

Edited by falkor, 19 July 2012 - 06:14 AM.

#30 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

I am pretty sure I am going to cancel DirecTV when my contract expires this month. I have been out of the loop for a while so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

I am cancelling because we just don't see the value in keeping it anymore. Money is getting tighter too.

What can I expect from retention?

I currently have Choice Xtra Classic with the sports package, Fox Soccer Channel, HD programming and 4 DVRs.

Will they happily just tell me to have a nice day? I'm ok with that, just looking for input so I am prepared when I call.

They'll probably give you a better deal to stay. There isn't a big enough reason to just switch providers. Costs are pretty much the same, across the board.

#31 OFFLINE   Ohara

Ohara

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

I called yesterday and this what I got. 8 year customer(contract expired on 18th)

$10 off base package for 2 years
$10 HD credit for 2 years
$10 credit for viacom dispute for 3 months
Free Showtime for 6 months
Free NFL Sunday Ticket (one year commit)

Was also offered a free DVR upgrade, but didn't want the 2 year commitment. The deals are there, just gotta call.

Edited by Ohara, 19 July 2012 - 11:58 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for all the input. Kinda looking forward to going without - I have had DirecTV since almost the beginning (1994?), so it will be odd.

Are you just gonna use an antenna or go with cable?

Rich

#33 OFFLINE   dkgoalie

dkgoalie

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

After 16 years of DirecTV, my wife and I "cut the cable" or "satellite" in this case.

When I called, I was upfront and honest letting them know that we don't watch enough television to justify ~$111 per month. They offered lesser packages, and discounts. Maybe the sun and moon at night as well.

Doing the antenna, and an AppleTV.

After one week+, so far pretty good. Almost a sense of freedom, if you will.

Regards...

- dk
_

An educated idiot is still an idiot...

#34 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

After 16 years of DirecTV, my wife and I "cut the cable" or "satellite" in this case.

When I called, I was upfront and honest letting them know that we don't watch enough television to justify ~$111 per month. They offered lesser packages, and discounts. Maybe the sun and moon at night as well.

Doing the antenna, and an AppleTV.

After one week+, so far pretty good. Almost a sense of freedom, if you will.

Regards...

- dk

Personally, I could get along fine with just NetFlix but I'd need D* for the Yankees' games. The wife won't go along with dropping all the movie channels and other channels I'd lose if I went to the lowest package that would include the Yes Network.

Rich

#35 OFFLINE   fingerstyle

fingerstyle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

I just called DTV asking if I was still under contract or month to month. This has to do with my frustration at them not being able to tell me what my new "Free Upgrade offer HD/DVR" was going to be. I did not intend to negotiate deals with them just wanted to be sure I was out of contract.

The CSR I got was quite helpful and responded to my inquiry with " what did we do that makes you ask this question." I explained the new DVR frustration. After discussion he told me that it was "very likely" I would get the box I wanted and if not don't activate it, send it back and they will send another. Eventually I will get the one I want.

He also offer deals knocking $480 off my bill over the next 2 years- I didn't ask , he offered.

We'll see next week when the new box arrives.

spam firewall