Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Help on figuring which stations get certain movies?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

:confused::newbie: I hope I posted in the correct forum. Is there a way to know which movies will appear on which premium channels before the schedule comes out? What I mean is this; can one look up a current or recent theatrical release and see which premium station it will appear on eventually? I haven't been able to find this info. The reason I want to know that is if I know which movies will appear on HBO, etc., I won't bother using my free PPV that I get from Dish to get something that I will get eventually. EPIX titles were my main interest, as we get all of the premiums except EPIX. So, being the frugal person I am, I wanted to use the free PPV for a movie that would eventually be on EPIX, and I wouldn't get as part of my package.

I hope that makes sense. Thanks for your help!!
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,112 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

Biggest problem you are going to have is the initial rights to broadcast the movies change occasionally so today, movies from DreamWorks (not DreamWorks Animation) air on Showtime when just a few years back it was HBO (fyi, DreamWorks Animations contract expires in 2013 with HBO when first run rights move to Netflix).

Epix has first run rights with many studios such as Paramount, MTV, Nick, Lionsgate, & MGM. However, HBO, Starz, & Showtime all have sub-run contracts in place with these studios so it is more than likely a movie which is destined for first run on Epix will eventually find it's way to one of the others or their sister channels within a few years.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,189 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

IOW, it's unknowable.

joyandjerry, welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

:D Thanks so much for the replies.

Nick, thank you so much for the welcome. my first expereince here was being insulted and having the thread closed, so I appreciate the thought!
JOY

#5 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

Link to thread to which I was referring - had to have five posts to show link. I'll try to consider this in the future; sorry for any confusion.

http://www.dbstalk.c...277#post3049277
JOY

spam firewall