Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Transponder Maps: Domestic, LatinAm and SkyMex New Data 12/19/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
417 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

FYI to everyone in topeka who have been waiting on HD locals, I just checked my locals and I am showing two of each local channel with one being HD in my guide. So their finally here WOOT:) It is hard at first to see the distinction between the two because there is no HD moniker after the channel number so ie i have 2 27 ksnt, the one way to see the difference is in the guide the channel's programs will actually stated HD after the program now and its amazing just in time for my football game saturday. at first when i checked this morning they werent there but after messing around checking signal strengths and redoing the satellite setup process just for gigs i then noticed that i now have the hd locals

The 1st local channel is always the MPEG4 HD version. You can go in the menu and hide SD duplicates.

Congrats on the HD locals.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   chaney

chaney

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

My guide is already set to hide SD duplicates but the channels number show no differently in the guide except the programs themselves have an HD logo next to them. So it doesnt auto hide the SD dups because it can't tell the difference. I'm guessing the dvr won't filter until there isn't just two ktka and there is a ktkahd and a ktka. The only thing I can do now is make a favorites list and remove the SD dups that wah. But thank you
If its a dish question just ask me I install so I can answer almost any question related to Dish.

#303 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

My guide is already set to hide SD duplicates but the channels number show no differently in the guide except the programs themselves have an HD logo next to them. So it doesnt auto hide the SD dups because it can't tell the difference. I'm guessing the dvr won't filter until there isn't just two ktka and there is a ktkahd and a ktka. The only thing I can do now is make a favorites list and remove the SD dups that wah. But thank you

Give it time. They may want them both showing for a week or two so that everyone notices the additions, and then they will set the old ones to sd so they will hide. Gives you time to move your series links.

#304 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

NEW HD CONUS CHANNELS IN TEST
None|No New HD CONUS Channels In Test
NEW HD CONUS CHANNELS ACTIVE
None|No New HD CONUS Channels Active
NEW HD-MARKET IN TEST
None|No New HD-Markets In Test
NEW HD-MARKET ACTIVE
NET|NAME|CHL|NOTES0|NOTES1
14 |KTWU |11 |A3 Topeka 11 KTWU PBS |PBS from KTWUDT-TV, 11, Topeka, KS
14 |WIBW |13 |A3 Topeka 13 WIBW CBS |CBS from WIBWDT-TV, 13, Topeka, KS
14 |KSNT |27 |A3 Topeka 27 KSNT NBC |NBC from KSNTDT-TV, 27, Topeka, KS.
14 |KTMJ |43 |A3 Topeka 43 KTMJ-CA FOX |FOX from KTMJDT-TV, 43, Topeka, KS
14 |KTKA |49 |A3 Topeka 49 KTKA ABC |ABC from KTKADT-TV, 49, Topeka, KS
NEW HD LIL CHANNELS IN TEST
11 |*WSBK |38 |A3 Boston 38 WSBK MNT |MNT from WSBKDT-TV, 38, Boston, MA

NEW HD LIL CHANNELS ACTIVE
11 |WMFP |42 |A3 Boston 42 WMFP IND |Independent from WMFPDT-TV, 42, Boston, MA
14 |KJZZ |14 |A3 Salt Lake City 14 KJZZ IND |Independent from KJZZDT-TV, 14, Salt Lake City, Utah
NEW SD LIL CHANNELS IN TEST
None|No New SD LIL Channels In Test
NEW SD LIL CHANNELS ACTIVE
None|No New SD LIL Channels Active
HD OR SD LIL CHANNELS REMOVED
None|No Channels Removed
Keys in the Excel TPN Map:

• Channels in the Excel TPN Map whose Names begin with an asterisk (*) are in TEST status
  • Channels shaded blue in the Excel are MPEG4. All HD channels are MPEG4, but SD channels can also be in MPEG4.

#305 OFFLINE   chaney

chaney

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Give it time. They may want them both showing for a week or two so that everyone notices the additions, and then they will set the old ones to sd so they will hide. Gives you time to move your series links.

That i knew, theyve already been running adds on the locals networks stating that DTV now has them in HD. More than likely to inform the current cust and an attempt to create more customers, because the main reason why so many of my installs of former DTV customers are of people switching for HD locals and the others chose Dish because they offered HD locals.
If its a dish question just ask me I install so I can answer almost any question related to Dish.

#306 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

NEW HD-MARKET IN TEST
11|*KIMT|3|A3 Rochester, MN 03 KIMT CBS|CBS from KIMTDT-TV, 03, Rochester, MN
11|*KAAL|6|A3 Rochester, MN 06 KAAL ABC|ABC from KAALDT-TV, 06, Rochester, MN
11|*KTTC|10|A3 Rochester, MN 10 KTTC NBC|NBC from KTTCDT-TV, 10, Rochester, MN
11|*KSMQ|15|A3 Rochester, MN 15-2 KSMQ IND|Independent from KSMQDT-TV, 15-2, Rochester, MN
11|*KYIN|24|A3 Rochester, MN 24 KYIN PBS|PBS from KYINDT-TV, 24, Rochester, MN
11|*KXLT|47|A3 Rochester, MN 47 KXLT FOX|FOX from KXLTDT-TV, 47, Rochester, MN
NEW HD-MARKET ACTIVE
None|No New HD Markets Active
14|*WUAB|43|A3 Cleveland 43 WUAB MNT|MNT from WUABDT-TV, 43, Cleveland, OH
14|*WMFD|68|A3 Cleveland 68 WMFD IND|Independent from WMFDDT-TV, 68, Cleveland, OH
11|*WMYV|48|A3 Greensboro 48 WMYV MNT|MNT from WMYVDT-TV, 48, Greensboro, NC
11|*WPCB|40|A3 Pittsburgh 40 WPCB IND|Independent from WPCBDT-TV, 40, Pittsburgh, PA
14|KAUT|43|A3 Tulsa 43 KAUT MNT (Virt)|MNT from KAUTDT-TV, 43, Oklahoma City, OK
None|No Channels Removed

• Channels in the Excel TPN Map whose Names begin with an asterisk (*) are in TEST status
  • Channels shaded blue in the Excel are MPEG4. All HD channels are MPEG4, but SD channels can also be in MPEG4.

#307 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

Lansing MI HD locals launched today.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#308 OFFLINE   markman07

markman07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 376 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

Appears Rochester, MN also launched today. Haven't been able to confirm but myself but xrobmn in the locals thread states they have come online as of this morning. A one day test?

EDIT:

Yes they are definitely up and running!

Edited by markman07, 09 November 2012 - 07:31 AM.
grammar

#309 OFFLINE   BigRedFan

BigRedFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, FL DMA Local HD Channel addition:

DirecTV added yesterday (Wed. 11-7-12): WBFS-33 (MNT)....

We now have 13 local HD's (on DTV) out of 15 local HD's available.... Only 2 HD stations left to be added: WSBS-22 (Mega TV affiliate) and WJAN-41 (Mundo FOX affiliate) ...

Local ION-HD on DTV is virtual re-map here of Ch.305 even though we have a local ION affiliate available in HD (WPXM-35).... Counting it as part of the 13 HD locals total....

Thanks all for great info here !

#310 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

With So Many Changes on 11/8 - Here is an updated Doctor J Report
Based on data 11/9/12:

NEW HD-MARKET IN TEST
None|No New HD Markets In Test
NEW HD-MARKET ACTIVE
14|WLNS|6|A3 Lansing 06 WLNS CBS|CBS from WLNSDT-TV, 06, Lansing, MI
14|WILX|10|A3 Lansing 10 WILX NBC|NBC from WILXDT-TV, 10, Lansing, MI
14|WHTV|18|A3 Lansing 18 WHTV MNT|MNT from WHTVDT-TV, 18, Lansing, MI
14|WKAR|23|A3 Lansing 23 WKAR PBS|PBS from WKARDT-TV, 23, Lansing, MI
14|WSYM|47|A3 Lansing 47 WSYM FOX|FOX from WSYMDT-TV, 47, Lansing, MI
14|WLAJ|53|A3 Lansing 53 WLAJ ABC|ABC from WLAJDT-TV, 53, Lansing, MI
NEW HD-MARKET ACTIVE
11|KIMT|3|A3 Rochester, MN 03 KIMT CBS|CBS from KIMTDT-TV, 03, Rochester, MN
11|KAAL|6|A3 Rochester, MN 06 KAAL ABC|ABC from KAALDT-TV, 06, Rochester, MN
11|KTTC|10|A3 Rochester, MN 10 KTTC NBC|NBC from KTTCDT-TV, 10, Rochester, MN
11|KSMQ2|15|A3 Rochester, MN 15-2 KSMQ2 IND|Independent from KSMQDT-TV, 15-2, Rochester, MN
11|KYIN|24|A3 Rochester, MN 24 KYIN PBS|PBS from KYINDT-TV, 24, Rochester, MN
11|KXLT|47|A3 Rochester, MN 47 KXLT FOX|FOX from KXLTDT-TV, 47, Rochester, MN
14|*WNYA|51|A3 Albany, NY 51 WNYA MNT|MNT from WNYADT-TV, 51, Albany, NY
14|*KYVV|10|A3 San Antonio 10 KYVV MFX|MFX from KYVVDT-TV, 10, San Antonio, TX
14|*KNIC|17|A3 San Antonio 17 KNIC TFT|Telefutura from KNICDT-TV, 17, San Antonio, TX
14|*KWEX|41|A3 San Antonio 41 KWEX UNI|Univision from KWEXDT-TV, 41, San Antonio, TX
14|*KVDA|60|A3 San Antonio 60 KVDA TMO|Telemundo from KVDADT-TV, 60, San Antonio, TX
11|WSBK|38|A3 Boston 38 WSBK MNT|MNT from WSBKDT-TV, 38, Boston, MA
14|WUAB|43|A3 Cleveland 43 WUAB MNT|MNT from WUABDT-TV, 43, Cleveland, OH
14|WMFD|68|A3 Cleveland 68 WMFD IND|Independent from WMFDDT-TV, 68, Cleveland, OH
11|WBFS|33|A3 Miami 33 WBFS MNT|MNT from WBFSDT-TV, 33, Miami, FL
11|WPCB|40|A3 Pittsburgh 40 WPCB IND|Independent from WPCBDT-TV, 40, Pittsburgh, PA
None|No Channels Removed

#311 OFFLINE   tomspeer46

tomspeer46

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts
  • LocationEastern NC and Adirondack Mtns, NY

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

I won't be back in the Albany, NY DMA until May, but it looks like they are trying to get all the Albany channels on Mpeg4 sats. MNT is in test on VPID 1070 and VPID 1060 is vacant and I suspect chan 45 (CW) will be in test shortly. The SD channels on 119 are too low to the horizon to get over nearby obstructions (22.9 deg.), so I expect they will start to convert the DMA to mpeg4 only. I haven't missed them, but I haven't been able to receive the CW and MNT stations from 119 since my neighbor's trees grew a couple of feet.

The Avatar is my curious neighborhood Otter.
My setup

#312 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

I won't be back in the Albany, NY DMA until May, but it looks like they are trying to get all the Albany channels on Mpeg4 sats. MNT is in test on VPID 1070 and VPID 1060 is vacant and I suspect chan 45 (CW) will be in test shortly. The SD channels on 119 are too low to the horizon to get over nearby obstructions (22.9 deg.), so I expect they will start to convert the DMA to mpeg4 only. I haven't missed them, but I haven't been able to receive the CW and MNT stations from 119 since my neighbor's trees grew a couple of feet.

Its possible;

Though I don't know of any examples yet where DIRECTV has actually "converted" a former SD Ku/MPEG-2 only local market to an all HD/SD Ka/MPEG-4 one, by turning off the SD Ku/MPEG-2 feeds once a transition has been considered complete.

Ka/MPEG-4 channels are always added in addition to the previous SD Ku ones, usually as part of new HD channel carriage for that market.

#313 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

Its possible;

Though I don't know of any examples yet where DIRECTV has actually "converted" a former SD Ku/MPEG-2 only local market to an all HD/SD Ka/MPEG-4 one, by turning off the SD Ku/MPEG-2 feeds once a transition has been considered complete.

Ka/MPEG-4 channels are always added in addition to the previous SD Ku ones, usually as part of new HD channel carriage for that market.

They did do that for the sat at what, 79 I think it was... But other than that, you are right.

#314 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

They did do that for the sat at what, 79 I think it was... But other than that, you are right.

For the former 72.5 degrees, correct;

Though I was referring to this ever happening to SD locals on the 101/119 birds.

#315 OFFLINE   tomspeer46

tomspeer46

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

For the former 72.5 degrees, correct;

Though I was referring to this ever happening to SD locals on the 101/119 birds.

The two markets I am familiar with that made the conversion, Syracuse, NY, and Greenville, NC were on 72.5. It took a couple of years to migrate all their customers. It makes sense in the long run to stop broadcasting each local channel in two forms, since the originating station is a digital signal anyway, and most have converted to HD. That is a huge waste of bandwidth. After 72.5, the next logical markets to convert would be Northeast markets they had to put on 119. They cannot serve some customers, because there is no good line of sight that low to the horizon, and they seem to need 119 more and more for their Latin American market. Some of our locals here in Eastern NC are only SD, but they are just another VPID at lower bandwidth on the mpeg4 transponder carrying the other locals. Putting the last two SD only signals in a market on the same mpeg4 tpn as the other locals, would be the first step in the migration off 119.

My setup

#316 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

The locals on 72.5W were migrated to MPEG4 because they're no longer using it at all for any programming. The actual satellite that was there is moving to cover Russia at 56E.

The locals on 119 are all on spot beams, even if they got rid of the locals it won't do any good for national channels as there are portions of the country which aren't covered by any spotbeam for a given transponder.

#317 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

The locals on 72.5W were migrated to MPEG4 because they're no longer using it at all for any programming. The actual satellite that was there is moving to cover Russia at 56E.

The locals on 119 are all on spot beams, even if they got rid of the locals it won't do any good for national channels as there are portions of the country which aren't covered by any spotbeam for a given transponder.

Yeah ...;

IIRC, D7S at 119 is configured for 44 transponders feeding into 30 beams (1 CONUS, 29 spots), 7 transponders of which are CONUS and feed the one CONUS beam. But I don't think the satellite configuration can be changed to allow for any of the four spotbeam frequencies to be assigned to CONUS transponders.

So if DIRECTV eventually turned the spots off D7S, that spectrum would basically go to waste.

At least there is nothing in the FCC filed data for D7S that mentions such a capability anywhere I can see.

#318 OFFLINE   tomspeer46

tomspeer46

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

Yeah ...;

IIRC, D7S at 119 is configured for 44 transponders feeding into 30 beams (1 CONUS, 29 spots), 7 transponders of which are CONUS and feed the one CONUS beam. But I don't think the satellite configuration can be changed to allow for any of the four spotbeam frequencies to be assigned to CONUS transponders.

So if DIRECTV eventually turned the spots off D7S, that spectrum would basically go to waste.

At least there is nothing in the FCC filed data for D7S that mentions such a capability anywhere I can see.

Yes, but can the spot beams be repositioned to areas closer to the satellite, maybe even Mexico? The 119 beams are useless to me and many of my neighbors in the northern reaches of the Albany DMA. I have no location on my property that can receive it anymore due to trees. folks not far from me would be blocked by mountains. I'm not sure what the FCC rules say about only being able to supply only some of the local channels.
I count 9 LIL markets with SD channels on 119, where the angle above the horizon is less than 30 degrees.

My setup

#319 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Even if they could reaim them, it's not that simple, since the spot beams share frequencies they can't overlap eachother. Spotbeams don't die at the borders of the market they serve, they can blanket multiple states.

Think of it how it used to be in analog TV, NYC, Boston and DC have stations on channel 7, but to prevent interference, cities in between like Baltimore, Philly and Hartford don't.

#320 OFFLINE   tomspeer46

tomspeer46

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

Well, we will watch over the coming months. Even if they never shut down the MPEG2 spot beams, having the two SD only channels on the unused VPID's on our local transponder from D10 or D12, will allow me to get them, although I'm not sure I care. They are testing Channel 51, WNYA (MNT) on 103S, Tpn 18, TID 161, VPID 1070. I expect to see Ch 45, WCWN (CW) on VPID 1060 in the future.

I also expect that DTV will, over time, retire all MPEG2 transmissions, and use those frequencies and spot beams for new services.

My setup

spam firewall