Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Transponder Maps: Domestic, LatinAm and SkyMex New Data 12/19/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
417 replies to this topic

#321 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Well, actually it is an MSA, not a DMA at this point in time.

As the attached Excel will make obvious, Puerto Rico is about to become a 'state', with their channels provided by US Domestic resources, primarily SW1 and SW2. This is data of 11/9/12.

While this move shifts a load to the US Domestic satellites, it will free bandwidth on G3C for increased service to DirectvLatinAmerica - DLA. After many promises and press releases to the DLA market, we are now seeing the engineering side moving ahead.

Get ready for lots of changes ahead.
:)

EDIT 11/14/12: Attachment Removed. See the normal US Domestic TPN Map for Puerto Rico data. That will always be the most current and most reliable information.

Edited by gct, 14 November 2012 - 10:31 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#322 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

NEW HD CONUS CHANNELS IN TEST
None|No New HD CONUS Channels In Test
NEW HD CONUS CHANNELS ACTIVE
None|No New HD CONUS Channels Active
NEW HD-MARKET IN TEST
None|No New HD Markets Active
NEW HD-MARKET ACTIVE
NET|NAME|CHL|NOTES0|NOTES1
14|KXJB|4|A3 Fargo 04 KXJB CBS|CBS from KXJBDT-TV, 04, Fargo, ND
14|WDAY|6|A3 Fargo 06 WDAY ABC|ABC from WDAYDT-TV, 06, Fargo, ND
14|WDAZ|8|A3 Fargo 08 WDAZ ABC|ABC from WDA90WhDT-TV, 08, Fargo, ND
14|KVLY|11|A3 Fargo 11 KVLY NBC|NBC from KVLYDT-TV, 11, Fargo, ND
14|KFME|13|A3 Fargo 13 KFME PBS|PBS from KFMEDT-TV, 13, Fargo, ND
14|KVRR|15|A3 Fargo 15 KVRR FOX|FOX from KVRRDT-TV, 15, Fargo, ND

NEW HD LIL CHANNELS IN TEST
None|No New HD LIL Channels In Test
NEW HD LIL CHANNELS ACTIVE
11|WMYV|48|A3 Greensboro 48 WMYV MNT|MNT from WMYVDT-TV, 48, Greensboro, NC
14|WMYA|40|A3 Greenville-Spart 40 WMYA MNT|MNT from WMYADT-TV, 40, Greenville, SC
NEW SD LIL CHANNELS IN TEST
None|No New SD LIL Channels In Test
NEW SD LIL CHANNELS ACTIVE
None|No New SD LIL Channels Active
HD OR SD LIL CHANNELS REMOVED
None|No Channels Removed
Keys in the Excel TPN Map:

• Channels in the Excel TPN Map whose Names begin with an asterisk (*) are in TEST status
  • Channels shaded blue in the Excel are MPEG4. All HD channels are MPEG4, but SD channels can also be in MPEG4.

#323 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Well, actually it is an MSA, not a DMA at this point in time.

As the attached Excel will make obvious, Puerto Rico is about to become a 'state', with their channels provided by US Domestic resources, primarily SW1 and SW2. This is data of 11/9/12.

While this move shifts a load to the US Domestic satellites, it will free bandwidth on G3C for increased service to DirectvLatinAmerica - DLA. After many promises and press releases to the DLA market, we are now seeing the engineering side moving ahead.

Get ready for lots of changes ahead.
:)

Those approximately 183 *TEST channels for Puerto Rico are now included in the normal TPN Map, along with all other US Domestic DMAs. Puerto Rico has been assigned a Network Number (724) and a Market Number (213), just like all other US Domestic DMAs.

#324 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,926 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

OK. so to sum-up this essentially means;

1) What we're looking at here then is (at least until D14 is launched) are HD locals and redirected nationals will be provided to Puerto Rico on spotbeams from SW1 & 2 at 99 and 103w and a few (comparatively) SD nationals from D5 at 110w?

2) Look for Beam PR or network GLA-2 with its 4 transponders (3 wideband and one standard) to be eventually relinquished on the Galaxy bird?

3) Now AIUI, the current dish used for PR subs. is a 24 inch round dish with the DLA LNB (11.450-12.2 GHz) aimed at 95w.

This will therefore have to be changed out for an elliptical, possibly Slimline style dish which at least receives 99, 103, Ka and 110w Ku?

#325 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

OK. so to sum-up this essentially means;

1) What we're looking at here then is (at least until D14 is launched) are HD locals and redirected nationals will be provided to Puerto Rico on spotbeams from SW1 & 2 at 99 and 103w and a few (comparatively) SD nationals from D5 at 110w?

2) Look for Beam PR or network GLA-2 with its 4 transponders (3 wideband and one standard) to be eventually relinquished on the Galaxy bird?

3) Now AIUI, the current dish used for PR subs. is a 24 inch round dish with the DLA LNB (11.450-12.2 GHz) aimed at 95w.

This will therefore have to be changed out for an elliptical, possibly Slimline style dish which at least receives 99, 103, Ka and 110w Ku?

HoTat2 -
The best answers we now have:

1) Not just until D14 lights up, but for long, long, term - PR will be a part of Directv 'Domestic'

2) All the Beam PR resources on GLA will not be relinquished, but rather pressed into service to supplement the demand for Latin America services. Perhaps a new beam?

3) Current press releases talk about coming 'new technology'. The new technology in the background looks amazingly like a Slimline 3....

#326 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

HoTat2 -

1) Not just until D14 lights up, but for long, long, term - PR will be a part of Directv 'Domestic'

2) All the Beam PR resources on GLA will not be relinquished, but rather pressed into service to supplement the demand for Latin America services. Perhaps a new beam?

3) Current press releases talk about coming 'new technology'. The new technology in the background looks amazingly like a Slimline 3....

I can't recall for sure, but I thought one of the specs on d14 and d15 was that they would have some transponders to PR as well. I wonder if that's for additional, or backup, or that plans have changed.

#327 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

I can't recall for sure, but I thought one of the specs on d14 and d15 was that they would have some transponders to PR as well. I wonder if that's for additional, or backup, or that plans have changed.

I am sure your memory is correct. Moving Puerto Rico to become a part of the US 'Domestic' network has been a long term plan. We are just witnessing the beginnings now. I would guess that plans have not changed but are being fulfilled. The Caribbean and Latin America both are huge markets, just begging for improved service.

#328 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,419 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

D14 has beams for Puerto Rico listed? It seemed to me to be a side view like Alaska & Hawaii are on the CONUS sats.

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#329 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

D14 has beams for Puerto Rico listed? It seemed to me to be a side view like Alaska & Hawaii are on the CONUS sats.

Doctor j

I'll try and look latter if someone else doesn't beat me to it. I did say I think, not sure... :)

#330 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

Doctor j

No, PR is to have two fully overlapping spotbeams designated "B23" (even transponders) and "B24" (odd transponders) on D14 that will carry locals and redirected nationals to the island.

You even culled this data yourself from the filed Schedule S database in your post here back in late May;

http://www.dbstalk.c...300#post3023300

... The retransmitted CONUS TPN's #'s 9 thru 24 appear to be redirected thru Beam B-23 and B-24 also for Puerto Rico, and a separate Antenna C01 (TPN's 9 thu 24) for Hawaii. Alaska is covered by a "lobe" on the NATIONAL beam.
No specific spots for Hawaii. There is a spot for Alaska A-21 with one additional TPN for Alaska HD LIL's.

#331 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

HoTat2 -

1) Not just until D14 lights up, but for long, long, term - PR will be a part of Directv 'Domestic' ...

Thanks;

But just to clarify by "until" I meant that (at least for) SW1 and 2 would carry the HD local and redirected nationals for PR.

That's what I meant, "relinquished," that is from PR service to other services in LA. I'm curious though what other services would be suited for Beam PR considering that as another poster here based in Colombia "egakagoc2xi" pointed out once on this topic that no one else in LA to his knowledge can even receive Beam PR's footprint outside of PR and maybe parts of the Caribbean.

I'd suppose so considering the current single slot 24 inch round dish would be useless for this. :)

#332 OFFLINE   egakagoc2xi

egakagoc2xi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

Thanks;

But just to clarify by "until" I meant that (at least for) SW1 and 2 would carry the HD local and redirected nationals for PR.

That's what I meant, "relinquished," that is from PR service to other services in LA. I'm curious though what other services would be suited for Beam PR considering that as another poster here based in Colombia "egakagoc2xi" pointed out once on this topic that no one else in LA to his knowledge can even receive Beam PR's footprint outside of PR and maybe parts of the Caribbean.

I'd suppose so considering the current single slot 24 inch round dish would be useless for this. :)

I just would like to point out that Beam PR only have 3 TP and most of the channel of PR are on BEAM Oeste (west) which everybody on LA can receive. All the channels from PR In the west beam are in SD MPEG-2. Those channels could go to SW1 and 2 and that resource could be used for the rest of Latam

#333 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

I just would like to point out that Beam PR only have 3 TP and most of the channel of PR are on BEAM Oeste (west) which everybody on LA can receive. All the channels from PR In the west beam are in SD MPEG-2. Those channels could go to SW1 and 2 and that resource could be used for the rest of Latam

From the TPN map for DLA and FCC filed info. for the G3C satellite, Beam PR is actually four transponders. Three wide band (2, 5, and 11) for MPEG-4 HD programming and one standard bandwidth one (Tp. 25) which carries MPEG-2 SD programs exclusive to PR and not available on Beam Oeste.

So I think if Beam PR were reassigned, Tp. 25 could be added to Beam Oeste for 16 transponders total. But the wide band ones only cover PR and North America, so I don't see how those could be re-utilized to benefit LA.

#334 OFFLINE   egakagoc2xi

egakagoc2xi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

From the TPN map for DLA and FCC filed info. for the G3C satellite, Beam PR is actually four transponders. Three wide band (2, 5, and 11) for MPEG-4 HD programming and one standard bandwidth one (Tp. 25) which carries MPEG-2 SD programs exclusive to PR and not available on Beam Oeste.

So I think if Beam PR were reassigned, Tp. 25 could be added to Beam Oeste for 16 transponders total. But the wide band ones only cover PR and North America, so I don't see how those could be re-utilized to benefit LA.

Sorry, you're right I was only thinking in the HD ones...3 with HD channels and 1 with SD MPEG-2 channels

#335 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Hey gct;

Noticed the new PR transponder map is listing both TIDs 035 and 039 on SW1 as assigned to tp. 4 leading to two MPEG-4 HD channel groups of 6 each with VPIDs numbered 1010-1060 for 12 in all. :confused:

So their must be a mistake somewhere, but since I don't have access to the most recent TID --->TPN decoder matrices for the Spaceway transponders, I can't check of course.

#336 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

Hey gct;

Noticed the new PR transponder map is listing both TIDs 035 and 039 on SW1 as assigned to tp. 4 leading to two MPEG-4 HD channel groups of 6 each with VPIDs numbered 1010-1060 for 12 in all. :confused:

So their must be a mistake somewhere, but since I don't have access to the most recent TID --->TPN decoder matrices for the Spaceway transponders, I can't check of course.

The TID to TPN relationships are correct as shown. Don't have a good explanation for you, other than to note that in a test bed configuration like this, the engineers can play by any rules they wish.

#337 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

The TID to TPN relationships are correct as shown. Don't have a good explanation for you, other than to note that in a test bed configuration like this, the engineers can play by any rules they wish.

OK, thanks;

Just wanted to make sure someone didn't read the SW TPN decoder matrix wrong or something. :)

#338 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

NEW HD CONUS CHANNELS IN TEST

None|No New HD CONUS Channels In Test
NEW HD CONUS CHANNELS ACTIVE
None|No New HD CONUS Channels Active
NEW HD-MARKET IN TEST
None|No New HD Markets In Test
NEW HD-MARKET ACTIVE
None|No New HD Markets Active
NEW HD LIL CHANNELS IN TEST
14|*KFWD|52|A3 Dallas 52 KFWD MFX|MFX from KFWDDT-TV, 52, Dallas, TX
14|*KAZD|55|A3 Dallas 55 KAZD AZA|AZA from KAZDDT-TV, 55, Dallas, TX
14|*KYAZ|51|A3 Houston 51 KYAZ AZA|AZA from KYAZDT-TV, 51, Houston, TX
14|*WMLW|49|A3 Milwaukee 49 WMLW IND|Independent from WMLWDT-TV, 49, Milwaukee, WI
14|*WIWN|68|A3 Milwaukee 68 WIWN IND|Independent from WIWNDT-TV, 68, Milwaukee, WI
14|*WCGV|24|A3 Milwaukee 24 WCGV MNT|MNT from WCGVDT-TV, 24, Milwaukee, WI
14|*KCNS|38|A3 San Francisco 38 KCNS MFX|MFX from KCNSDT-TV, 38, San Francisco, CA
11|*KUNS|51|A3 Seattle 51 KUNS UNI|Univision from KUNSDT-TV, 51, Seattle, WA

NEW HD LIL CHANNELS ACTIVE
None|No New HD LIL Channels Active
NEW SD LIL CHANNELS IN TEST
None|No New SD LIL Channels In Test
NEW SD LIL CHANNELS ACTIVE
None|No New SD LIL Channels Active
HD OR SD LIL CHANNELS REMOVED
None|No Channels Removed
Keys in the Excel TPN Map:

• Channels in the Excel TPN Map whose Names begin with an asterisk (*) are in TEST status
  • Channels shaded blue in the Excel are MPEG4. All HD channels are MPEG4, but SD channels can also be in MPEG4.

#339 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

Up to this week, we have had many Puerto Rico channels in testing status on SW1, SW2 and D5.

With today's TPN Map, many of those channels have now gone live. The transition of PR from G3C to the U.S. Domestic satellites is underway.

#340 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Up to this week, we have had many Puerto Rico channels in testing status on SW1, SW2 and D5.

With today's TPN Map, many of those channels have now gone live. The transition of PR from G3C to the U.S. Domestic satellites is underway.

Yeah ...

Heard from the "other forum" the official launch date for Puerto Rico's transition to DIRECTV USA was today (i.e. 11/22/12).

Would have thought there would be some PR release of the event. But so far nothing but crickets, even on the DIRECTV PR web-site.

spam firewall