Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Transponder Maps: Domestic, LatinAm and SkyMex New Data 12/19/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
417 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jerseyfla

jerseyfla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

The following Mobile/Pensacola HD LiL stations are now active

WFGX MyN 35
WJTC Ind 44

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

The following Mobile/Pensacola HD LiL stations are now active

WFGX MyN 35
WJTC Ind 44

WFGX Went into *TEST on 6/13/12
WJTC Went into *TEST on 7/11/12

Apparently [Thanks, Jerseyfla] both have become Active on 7/27/12, between our expected Wednesday update windows.

Welcome Aboard!!

#23 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,186 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

gct;

What's the number in the parenthesis preceding the Network Number on the decoder map indicate?

I notice in about the last two mapping documents they now all preceded by "(1)" except for Network 2, D5, which has a number in parenthesis of "(7)."

#24 ONLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

gct;

What's the number in the parenthesis preceding the Network Number on the decoder map indicate?

I notice in about the last two mapping documents they now all preceded by "(1)" except for Network 2, D5, which has a number in parenthesis of "(7)."

This is the "Entity" or "Provider" code. Code "1" has always been there in our original efforts, indicating Directv Domestic. At that point in time, there was no point in showing the Entity Code.

Then when we got involved with the LatinAm data, the Entity Code became necessary because Directv Latin America (DLA) has networks 0, 1 and 2, just as the Domestic US does. That left questions like, "Which Network 0?" The LatinAm Entity Code is "30". So (30) - 1 distinguishes Latin Network 1 from (1) - 1 which is the US Network 1.

LatinAm also has Networks 512 to 723, just like the US Network. So for example, (1) - 527 indicates US Domestic Network 527, Baton Rouge. While (30) - 527 indicates LatinAm Network 527, Argentina.

Now this development is new: Network 2 (D5) has historically been shown as Entity Code "1". Then within the past few months, Network 2 appeared as Entity Code "7". There is a solid correlation there with D5 now dedicating itself to transmitting test channels to Puerto Rico. It appears we have witnessed the birth of a new Entity.

This is the quick answer. Each topic above could be an epistle all its own....

#25 ONLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

The little Excel sheet attachment lists the total 64 LIL Channels that were in *TEST status as reflected in doctor j's 7/25/12 data.

There are several channels that we have reports have gone active since 7/25/12. And with this next week's report (8/1/12) we will probably find new channels in *TEST.

This list is in eternal churn and not normally tracked. This attached snapshot will probably be accurate for only a short time, but it gives you a sense of all the activity that is going on.

#26 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,872 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

The little Excel sheet attachment lists the total 64 LIL Channels that were in *TEST status as reflected in doctor j's 7/25/12 data.

There are several channels that we have reports have gone active since 7/25/12. And with this next week's report (8/1/12) we will probably find new channels in *TEST.

This list is in eternal churn and not normally tracked. This attached snapshot will probably be accurate for only a short time, but it gives you a sense of all the activity that is going on.

The Las Vegas and Mobile/Pensacola test channels have since gone live.

I do have questions though:

• DirecTV lists KWYB in Butte, MT as being available in HD?
  • DirecTV lists KAFT in Ft. Smith, AR as being available in HD?
  • New York has three channels listed that are already available? (testing another transponder, perhaps?)
  • The WPSD2 listed in the chart is most likely the RTV sub-channel, correct?
  • What's the deal with the Sacramento MNT virtual channel? Testing for importing into another market?!

~Alan

#27 ONLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

....I do have questions though:

• DirecTV lists KWYB in Butte, MT as being available in HD?
  • DirecTV lists KAFT in Ft. Smith, AR as being available in HD?
  • The WPSD2 listed in the chart is most likely the RTV sub-channel, correct?~Alan

Just looked at three of your cases. It probably will take input from folks in these local markets to make sense of it. My guesses:

• KWYB -- The new *TEST HD station appears to carry FOX/MNT, while current KWYB HD carries ABC. In large DMAs you are not used to one station carrying more than one affiliate network.
  • KAFT -- Looks like the same HD service on two different TPNs of D11. Why? dunno
  • WPDS -- The new SD channel in *TEST is on the same TPN of D7S as the current SD channel. Why? uhhhh

Okay local folks, make sense out of it for us -- Please.

Edited by gct, 29 July 2012 - 05:32 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

• KWYB -- The new *TEST HD station appears to carry FOX/MNT, while current KWYB HD carries ABC. In large DMAs you are not used to one station carrying more than one affiliate network.

Even in bamaweather's old DirecTV Locals - City By City What's Available (v2) thread, KWYB-DT2 (FOX/MNT) was listed as being carried in HD along with KWYB (ABC)... and DirecTV.com (which is not above making mistakes) has both KWYB (ABC) and KWYB-DT2 (FOX/MNT) listed as being in HD.

I'm still thinking that the 2 on the end of WPDS is indicative of it being the sub-channel.

~Alan

#29 ONLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Checking on the *KQCA Sacramento channel -- my TPN MAP records go back to 3/20/09. And *KQCA was there, in test, over three years ago.

For your questions on New York City, I must bow to User "drew2k" who is our chief correspondent in New York City. :D

#30 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Checking on the *KQCA Sacramento channel -- my TPN MAP records go back to 3/20/09. And *KQCA was there, in test, over three years ago.

For your questions on New York City, I must bow to User "drew2k" who is our chief correspondent in New York City. :D

I'm actually not that concerned about NY or Sacremento... the channels are apparently already offered. I suspect the NY ones may simply be a transponder test of some sort, and the "virtual" listing of the Sacremento channel implies it will be imported into another market... and since it's not local.

The other three would be good to know, though...

~Alan

#31 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

Just curious, but pulling up the latest FCC filing data on Galaxy 3C that I could locate in the IBFS, I can't find anything that might be used for three of the four transponders listed under beam PR for the DLA service.

While I can find the transponder used for #25 in the FCC data, according to LyngSat the frequencies for beam PR's tps. numbered 2, 5, and 11, 11750, 11810, and 11930 MHz LHCP respectively, are nowhere to be found in the data.

The only transponders listed on those frequencies is under the "North American + Puerto Rico" beam which would of course seem as the logical ones for beam PR, but they show as using linear polarization and have 54 MHz bandwidths.

I can see the downlink transponders which must account for beam Oeste (Latin America) and Sur (South America) in the document just fine. Though apparently having two uplink options to them in both the "extended" C and Ku bands is a little confusing.

But locating what may account for three of the transponders outside of #25 used by beam PR is a problem.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Attached Files

Edited by HoTat2, 30 July 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

On a slightly related topic, I had posted back in January that I was surprised WTLF CW 24 (Tallahassee, FL) was uplinked in MPEG4 as it was SD only, and already available on 119°. I e-mailed the engineer whom I have spoken to online as well as on the phone, but I never heard back, so I gave up until yesterday when I asked the question, and was told that Comcast offers an HD feed of the channel. I don't know if it's HD OTA as well, as while I can receive the channel via a SD sub-channel on the FOX affiliate (WTLH-DT2), the stand-alone version (WTLF 24) has a small broadcast coverage area, and is one of two Tallahassee, FL stations that I, sadly, cannot receive.

So... at least I finally have an answer as to why they uplinked it.

~Alan

#33 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

On a slightly related topic, I had posted back in January that I was surprised WTLF CW 24 (Tallahassee, FL) was uplinked in MPEG4 as it was SD only, and already available on 119°. I e-mailed the engineer whom I have spoken to online as well as on the phone, but I never heard back, so I gave up until yesterday when I asked the question, and was told that Comcast offers an HD feed of the channel. I don't know if it's HD OTA as well, as while I can receive the channel via a SD sub-channel on the FOX affiliate (WTLH-DT2), the stand-alone version (WTLF 24) has a small broadcast coverage area, and is one of two Tallahassee, FL stations that I, sadly, cannot receive.

So... at least I finally have an answer as to why they uplinked it.

~Alan

Interesting;

When I suggested this as a possibility back in late January; http://www.dbstalk.c...692#post2949692

You said to your knowledge "CW plus" stations didn't do this (very next post).

So can we say this policy has changed or is it maybe more a general rule?

#34 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

Interesting;

When I suggested this as a possibility back in late January; http://www.dbstalk.c...692#post2949692

You said to your knowledge "CW plus" stations didn't do this (very next post).

So can we say this policy has changed or is it maybe more a general rule?

The policy has apparently changed.

In my post you mentioned, I also stated that I'd contact the engineer I mentioned in my last post above. He's one of the main reasons why I knew that CW Plus stations didn't do that, and as I stated, I never received a reply back from him.

I contacted my "local" CBS/MNT/The CW affiliate last year asking if things had changed, and was told that the out of market CW station offered to me by DirecTV prior to them launching their third affiliation was upconverted, as it could NOT have been in HD as there was no such thing as a CW HD station as The CW didn't offer HD to it's affiliates. As you can guess, he was not knowledgeable about the difference between The CW and The CW Plus stations.

I contacted them again earlier this month (a year later) and found out that The CW is now offering HD to them, so apparently things have indeed changed in regards to The CW Plus stations.

On the plus side, they stated that they (my local affiliate) have plans to upgrade to HD next year. On the negative side, it appears that they intend on offering it in HD on their sub-channel... and most likely it will be by downconverting CBS and The CW to 720p, and hopefully by getting rid of the MNT affiliation. Since I can't get it OTA, my hope is that DirecTV will offer it next year (though considering we've had ABC in HD for over a year and DirecTV hasn't added it, I'm not holding my breath).

~Alan

#35 ONLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

NEW HD CONUS CHANNELS IN *TEST
None|No New HD CONUS Channels in *TEST

NEW HD-MARKET ACTIVITY
None|No New HD Markets in *TEST

NEW HD LIL CHANNELS IN *TEST
NET|NAME|CHL|NOTES0|NOTES1
702|*KHRR|40|A3 Tucson 40 KHRR TMO|Telemundo television services from KHRRDT-TV, 40, Tucson, AZ
702|*KFTU|3|A3 Tucson 03 KFTU TFT|Telefutura television services from KFTUDT-TV, 03, Tucson, AZ
702|*KUVE|46|A3 Tucson 46 KUVE UNI|Univision television services from KUVEDT-TV, 46, Tucson, AZ

NEW HD LIL CHANNELS ACTIVE
NET|NAME|CHL|NOTES0|NOTES1
553|WNPB|24|A3 Clarksburg 24 WNPB PBS|PBS television services from WNPBDT-TV, 24, Clarksburg, WV
584|CW|21|A3 Gainesville 21 WCJB CW|CW television services from WJCBDT-TV, 21, Gainesville, FL
619|KBLR|39|A3 Las Vegas 39 KBLR TMO|Telemundo television services from KBLRDT-TV, 39, Las Vegas, NV
619|KINC|15|A3 Las Vegas 15 KINC UNI|Univision television services from KINCDT-TV, 15, Las Vegas, NV
619|KVMY|21|A3 Las Vegas 21 KVMY MNT|MNT television services from KVMYDT-TV, 21, Las Vegas, NV
639|WJTC|44|A3 Mobile 44 WJTC IND|Independent television services from WJTCDT-TV, 44, Mobile, AL
639|WFGX|35|A3 Mobile 35 WFGX MNT|MNT television services from WFGXDT-TV, 35, Mobile, AL

EDIT: WNPB is a new MPEG4 channel, previously an MPEG2. However, it is not certain if this is a new HD/MPEG4 channel or a new SD/MPEG4 channel.

NEW SD LIL CHANNELS IN *TEST
None|No New SD LIL Channels In *TEST

NEW SD LIL CHANNELS ACTIVE
None|No New SD LIL Channels Active

HD OR SD LIL CHANNELS REMOVED
None|No HD or SD LIL Channels Removed

See the “LIL” tab in the TPN Map for complete details on these
and all other Local Into Local channels

Edited by gct, 01 August 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

Looks like the Spanish language locals in HD rollout continues!
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#37 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

gct;

Still studying DIRECTV LA info. and feel I've got it pretty much figured out now, but just curious as to whether you know if or how the central american countries, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, etc. officially fit in to the DTVLA if at all?

There's no established GLA network for them, and while I can see how they may receive the main SD "Beam Oeste," all HD is carried on transponders for Beam Sur and PR for which I don't see the footprints covering the CA countries.

Are the CA countries limited to only GLA-0's SD channels from Beam Oeste?

#38 ONLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:48 PM

HoTat2,

As far as I know for satellite TV service, these countries are not served by DIRECTV, but by SKY:

Costa Rica
El Salvador
Guatemala
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama
Dominica

Here's a link to follow:
http://www2.sky.com.mx/centro-america/

In the 2007/2008 time period, many of these transitioned from DIRECTV to SKY. I am certain there is a long story here.............

:)

#39 ONLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

HoTat2,

For part 2 of your question about being limited to only Beam Oeste...

See the 'Network Decoder' (Latin Version) in the Latin Excel posting. That defines which countries get what Beams and what TPNs of those beams.

Another confusion factor. While we have Latin Networks 512 through 723, there are no LIL channels at this time. These Networks at this time serve to define the OTA channels per country. And I am not even sure that the OTA capability is alive and well. Only a short time ago, the dazzling/leading edge AM21 capability was a "Coming Soon" feature. I am not sure the "Soon" has yet arrived.

#40 OFFLINE   egakagoc2xi

egakagoc2xi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

I would make only on correction... the AM21 is already active in Argentina. It has over 4 months working there. Don't know PR though.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...