Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Transponder Maps: Domestic, LatinAm and SkyMex New Data 12/19/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
417 replies to this topic

#401 OFFLINE   Rafael

Rafael

Mentor

• Registered
  • 61 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale, FL / Caracas Venezuela

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

As I said that's very interesting as the "assumed" "Beam PR" (GLA 02), the "N.A.+Puerto Rico" beam in the G3C specs. shows it as nowhere near South America. And another regular poster here on this thread, "egakagoc2xi," located in Colombia, S.A. says he can't receive beam PR at all there.

The catch is the antenna size he might be using......I start to read N.A. + PR bean with 1.1 m (4 ft.) and larger 6 ft. & 8 ft.

You can't have both even and odd channel outputs on the same coax run at the same time in any way, as they would mutually interfere with one another.

What "partitions" would those be?

You mean like logical partitions on the HDD of a DVR?

No I mean Transponder partition, I guess they can manipulate as needed; out of the 95W when I select 18 VDC I get all even and some odd, samething with the 13 VDC I get all odd and some even, this with South America Beam, with US Beam I have not done the test. Once again I am guessing I have no evidence of this......

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#402 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

The catch is the antenna size he might be using......I start to read N.A. + PR bean with 1.1 m (4 ft.) and larger 6 ft. & 8 ft.

No I mean Transponder partition, I guess they can manipulate as needed; out of the 95W when I select 18 VDC I get all even and some odd, samething with the 13 VDC I get all odd and some even, this with South America Beam, with US Beam I have not done the test. Once again I am guessing I have no evidence of this......

Probably you could see linear tpn on circular LNBF with low SNR. Switching voltage wouldn't be useful in the case. Anyway, check Lyngsat, he has pretty accurate data about 95W transponder's parameters.
Seems to me the "partition" is endemic term for SA users.

#403 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,951 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

Probably you could see linear tpn on circular LNBF with low SNR. Switching voltage wouldn't be useful in the case. Anyway, check Lyngsat, he has pretty accurate data about 95W transponder's parameters.
Seems to me the "partition" is endemic term for SA users.

That's what I was thinking;

Perhaps a low level spurious linear polarized signal picked up by the circularly polarized horn, and would be interested to know what the levels are for those opposite numbered transponders in comparison to the correct ones for the particular control voltage issued from the receiver.

Because for the South American beam from G3C or "Beam Sur" (SD and HD channels from 11.7-12.2 GHz) it should only be 12 24 MHz wide circularly pol. transponders. 8 odd (13v) and 4 even (18v).

And for the broad pan-regional western beam or "Beam Oeste" (SD channels received by all of DLA from 11.450-11.7 GHz) its 15 24 MHz wide circularly pol. transponders. 7 odd (13v) and 8 even (18v).

NOTE: Transponder 25 is (was?) assigned to Puerto Rico for 16 total there from Beam Oeste.

#404 OFFLINE   Rafael

Rafael

Mentor

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

Here we go:

110 Active numbers 8,10 and 12 between 85-90 strength of signal; the rest n/a(3 total)
99 Active 1 thru 6 between 95-99 signal and 15 thru 24 0 strength of signal the rest n/a(16 total)
103 Active 1 thru 4 between 97-100 and 15 thru 24 0 strength the rest n/a(16 total)
SWM Active 1 thru 9 86-87 signal in 1,3,and 6; 0 in the rest(2.4,5,7.8, and 9) the rest n/a(9 total)

Hello Luispr:

Are you still receiving the Latin America Channels out of 95W?
These where the regular ones you used to have before the upgrade....
170 Fox USVI; 172 ABC USVI; 174 CBS USVI, etc, etc.......

#405 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

Hello Luispr:

Are you still receiving the Latin America Channels out of 95W?
These where the regular ones you used to have before the upgrade....
170 Fox USVI; 172 ABC USVI; 174 CBS USVI, etc, etc.......

Sorely doubt it;

Not if they removed the dish/LNB for DLA service for the SlimLine-5 and the new receivers are programmed for service from the DIRECTV USA satellites 99, 101, 103 and 110w and not DLA transponders on G3C at 95w. :)

#406 OFFLINE   Luispr14

Luispr14

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

With the new equipment the channels stay with the same number as before but we're not receiving anything from 95W. Until they change the equipment for all in PR the 95W will continue to be used(including those who have pre-paid service they'll be the last to make the switch). All PR channels have migrated from 95W

#407 OFFLINE   Rafael

Rafael

Mentor

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

Sorely doubt it;

Not if they removed the dish/LNB for DLA service for the SlimLine-5 and the new receivers are programmed for service from the DIRECTV USA satellites 99, 101, 103 and 110w and not DLA transponders on G3C at 95w. :)

I thought that he had some kind of special dish set up......
Probably 95w, 99w, 101w, 103w, 110w, 119w the SWM 8 has flex por 1 & 2

If not do you think they're planning to take off all customers from the old feed and swap them all to US service only out of 99W, 101W, 103W, 110W, 119W?

#408 OFFLINE   Luispr14

Luispr14

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

The Nexus service have not been activated yet waiting for the call to activate them. The numbers are 99s and 103s sorry for the mistake

#409 OFFLINE   Rafael

Rafael

Mentor

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

With the new equipment the channels stay with the same number as before but we're not receiving anything from 95W. Until they change the equipment for all in PR the 95W will continue to be used(including those who have pre-paid service they'll be the last to make the switch). All PR channels have migrated from 95W

So are you getting same programming than in the US now?
no Latin America versions like E!, Casa club, CNN español, Globovision, TVE, Antena 3, RAI, BBC World, etc.......

#410 OFFLINE   Rafael

Rafael

Mentor

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

Sorely doubt it;

One thing that is bugging me is that he only has readings out of 99, 103, 110.....what's going on with 101 and 119? I need to have a lock on 101 to get the EPG.

if the service is going to be swapped and migrate all customers to 100% US service......or is it going to be a similar version of Dishnetwork only giving customers in PR some 30 to 40 US HD channels out of 110W.......when they really have more HD content out of 129W, 72.5W and 61.5W....

#411 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

I thought that he had some kind of special dish set up......
Probably 95w, 99w, 101w, 103w, 110w, 119w the SWM 8 has flex por 1 & 2 ...

No, its a standard SlimeLine-5 like used here in North America as Luispr14 stated (He has the SWiM version).

... If not do you think they're planning to take off all customers from the old feed and swap them all to US service only out of 99W, 101W, 103W, 110W, 119W?

Its a little confusing, PR customers will be using capacity on satellites assigned to DIRECTV USA network, but they will carry the same Spanish programming they formally received on the DLA bird G3C, plus much more. In particular more HD programming in PR.

... One thing that is bugging me is that he only has readings out of 99, 103, 110.....what's going on with 101 and 119? I need to have a lock on 101 to get the EPG.

If he has a SWiM LNB then he must have a lock on 101 as SWiM only uses 101 for guide data, receiver authorizations, firmware updates, etc. The receiver's are probably programmed to not display 101 signal strength screen though since it is only used for guide and control data, no actual TV programming.

... if the service is going to be swapped and migrate all customers to 100% US service......or is it going to be a similar version of Dishnetwork only giving customers in PR some 30 to 40 US HD channels out of 110W.......when they really have more HD content out of 129W, 72.5W and 61.5W....

No, its apparently like I said earlier until all subs. on PR are migrated over. Then Beam PR's available spectrum will be released for other services. Whatever those may be given Beam PR's limited coverage throughout the rest of LA.

#412 OFFLINE   Rafael

Rafael

Mentor

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

No, its apparently like I said earlier until all subs. on PR are migrated over. Then Beam PR's available spectrum will be released for other services. Whatever those may be given Beam PR's limited coverage throughout the rest of LA.

This information was given to you thru what via?

Regarding transponder capacity @ 95W

DirecTV Latin America has agreed to lease bandwidth thru Intelsat from 2 new satellites to be launched 2014 & 2015

http://www.intelsat..../20110908-1.asp

One thing I never have understood is why wont they own their own birds like the US busines?? not profitable enough?

#413 ONLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Do you mean the Spaceway TID--->TPN decoder matrices that apply to all other markets which have some or all of their locals on the SWs are not valid for the PR market?

We have confirmed that the existing TID-to-TPN relationships are equally valid for the Puerto Rico market.

#414 OFFLINE   Luispr14

Luispr14

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

The capacity freed from Puerto Rico will be used to give DLA more capacity for HD channels and some SD like Comedy Central which starts Jan 1 on ch 215

#415 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

[quote name='Rafael'][QUOTE] ... This information was given to you thru what via?[/QUOTE]

Oh nothing official from DIRECTV, unless gct has something official (see next).

My statement was based on 1) gct's formal announcement of PR joining DIRECTV USA network and its future implications for Beam PR's spectrum back on Nov. 13.

http://www.dbstalk.c...024#post3130024

And 2) Its the only logical thing you can do, for what other purpose can Beam PR's bandwidth serve once all subscribers on the island are converted over to the DIRECTV USA network?

[QUOTE] ... Regarding transponder capacity @ 95W

DirecTV Latin America has agreed to lease bandwidth thru Intelsat from 2 new satellites to be launched 2014 & 2015

http://www.intelsat..../20110908-1.asp

One thing I never have understood is why wont they own their own birds like the US busines?? not profitable enough?[/QUOTE]

Not sure, but as a guess as opposed to domestic satellites operations, international satellite providers may have different regulations and it cost less and of less hassle to simply lease transponder capacity from an established international provider like formerly PanAmsat and now Intelsat than owning the satellite(s) themselves and all the responsibility which comes with operating them.

#416 OFFLINE   egakagoc2xi

egakagoc2xi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

The capacity freed from Puerto Rico will be used to give DLA more capacity for HD channels and some SD like Comedy Central which starts Jan 1 on ch 215

Comedy Central won't be a new channel, will be replacing VH1.

#417 OFFLINE   Rafael

Rafael

Mentor

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

2) Its the only logical thing you can do, for what other purpose can Beam PR's bandwidth serve once all subscribers on the island are converted over to the DIRECTV USA network?

First I must state I'm enyoing posting in a DBS Forum (dbstalk) I did long ago on DBSForums and was a regular in Latin America - Caribbean Forums.....to bad there is no space (bandwidth) in these forums for people in the caribbean in a dedicated space for them...but that is another matter.....

In all the time I've been able to lock on US signals, and I've worked in Aruba, Curacao, Trinidad, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, so I know how are the levels of each provider, I will state that Directv US has always been the weaker player in this region, this is the reason why they served PR with Galaxy 3C and probably the Cisneros Group had some stake and they pushed in that way. Things have changed but Footprints @ 101W are the same (I first had very good levels with D1, D2, D3 then things got tricky with 4S, D8 and 7S) people in PR need a large 6 ft. to get all Tp from 101W, specially from the even where the EPG comes from; this is why I guess they have made a special EPG for PR channels out of 110W (a satellite with low use & they could have adjusted the bird to beam more EIRP to PR) and some SB (Spot beams) out of SW 1&2 (Info you guys gave here) all other birds need larger antennas (than regular size used in the CONUS) for the area, Dishnetwork by the other hand has incorporated the footprint of the 119W bird and 110W in a way that allows them to have all transponders out of those birds with small dishes......I can't understand why they wont feed them (PR) with 129W bird that carries more than 60 HD channels, but they came up with a PR pack of some 30-40 HD channels out of some SB @ 110W.....samething now with the stongest player in the US DirecTV US that maybe heard the crying out of the Latin America Division where they're out of space for more HD (Only 15 to 20 HD) at the moment when other providers have been feeding the market with more than 24 HD channels.......the quality of the SD in the Latin America division is very poor because they're compressing more channels than the ideal in a given badwidth (TP) they have always been out of space since day one.....they have always leased space (TP) insted of owning the satellites and this is something I have never understood, you need to take in consideration that if owning the satellites wasn't a good deal Dishnetwork nor DirecTV US would own some 14 to 17 satellites......

Best Regards and Happy Holidays......

Edited by Rafael, 24 December 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#418 ONLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

Continuing Our Topic and Starting a new Thread for 1Q 2013 here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=211502

Thanks!

spam firewall