Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Transponder Maps: Domestic, LatinAm and SkyMex New Data 12/19/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
417 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,670 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

Your excitement must be doubled :D - there're SD and HD channels !

I can't wait to see that Brazillian Butt Lift in HD! :rolleyes:

All jokes aside, the fact that DirecTV is wasting bandwidth on that garbage (in HD yet) must mean they have plenty of bandwidth to spare on these spot beams.

I figure each "slot" costs money, as money is bandwidth (in all essence its a finite resource). If you can put 8 or 9 HD's on one spot beam, that's a much more valuable transponder than one that only does 5 or 6 for sure.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

All jokes aside, the fact that DirecTV is wasting bandwidth on that garbage (in HD yet) must mean they have plenty of bandwidth to spare on these spot beams.

I figure each "slot" costs money, as money is bandwidth (in all essence its a finite resource). If you can put 8 or 9 HD's on one spot beam, that's a much more valuable transponder than one that only does 5 or 6 for sure.

I suspect the carry laws came into play regarding the carriage of the channel in question.

~Alan

#123 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,296 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:08 PM

My locals have since switched transponders, so I'm not sure there's any reason to anymore.

They are on SW1 TPN #1 and PBS from D10/D12 TPN #18. I usually get a signal in the 90s from the main one (88% now due to cloudiness) and slightly lower signal numbers from TPN #18. Not the highest spot-beam numbers on the signal strenth page, but most likely correct.

However, I NEVER got a signal listed from SW1 TPN #5 for as long as they were there... heck, I still don't have a signal from that particular spot beam.

~Alan

It's all dynamic ...
As you see today the tables and your receiver are in full agreement: all your six (1020 and 1080 are temporary out: WABW and WACS ;) ) LiL channels are on SW-1 tp1:
Name Ch LiL tp TID VPID APID Net Note0 Note1
WALB 10 513 1 53 1010 1012 14 A3 Albany, GA 10 WALB NBC NBC television services from WALBDT-TV, 10, Albany, GA.
WFXL 31 513 1 53 1030 1032 14 A3 Albany, GA 31 WFXL FOX FOX television services from WFXLDT-TV, 31, Albany, GA.
WSWG 44 513 1 53 1040 1042 14 A3 Albany, GA 44 WSWG CBS CBS television services from WSWGDT-TV, 44, Albany, GA.
CW 17 513 1 53 1050 1052 14 A3 Albany, GA 17 WSWG CW CW television services from WSWGDT3-TV, 17, Albany, GA.
WSST 55 513 1 53 1060 1062 14 A3 Albany, GA 55 WSST IND Independent television services from WSSTDT-TV, 55, Albany, GA.
ABC 11 513 1 53 1070 1072 14 A3 Albany, GA 11 WALB ABC ABC television services from WALBDT2-TV, 11, Albany, GA.

Edited by P Smith, 05 September 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#124 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

Wow that WACP 4 in Philly is nothing but a waste of space infomercial channel. With such great programming like "Superfood Juicer!", "Over 55 with joint pain?", "Insanity Workout!", "Best Vacuum Ever!", and "Brazil Butt Lift", my excitement can't even be contained. :rolleyes:

WHAT??? No P90X?
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#125 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

and dont forget MyPillow
"World's best pillow" or "Stay Cool with My Pillow"

#126 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

I suspect the carry laws came into play regarding the carriage of the channel in question.

~Alan

But does must carry mean it has to be in HD? Aren't you missing a local CW HD channel? Hope must carry makes it to your neck of the woods!

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#127 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

But does must carry mean it has to be in HD?

I was referring to the statement made below:

The agreement both satellite providers made with the FCC states that by February 2013, in any market where that provider carries any local station in HD they must offer all local stations carriage in HD. So if you live in a market with at least one local HD station expect them all by next February - but if you live in a market with no HD local carriage the satellite company can remain all SD. It is a "carry one, carry all" requirement - just like the rules for carrying SD.

My assumption is that WACP made it due to the agreement above. Otherwise, it probably would have stayed SD only.

Aren't you missing a local CW HD channel? Hope must carry makes it to your neck of the woods!

I'm missing ABC... The CW is SD only until next year.

I'm not sure HOW the agreement will affect me.

My ABC is SD OTA, but carried by Mediacom and Dish Network in HD via a special feed. To be eligible for the agreement above, it apparently needs to be broadcast in HD, so that should let ABC out...

The CW will apparently be broadcast OTA in HD, but given that it's currently a sub-channel of the local CBS affiliate, I have to wonder if it will be eligible for the law given that the station will have TWO HD channels.

Either way, it's potentially good news in that I may get The CW in HD, and hopefully in the effort to do so, they'll upgrade their equipment and give me ABC in HD as well.

~Alan

#128 OFFLINE   hidefman

hidefman

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

for gct... Network 602 Huntsville, AL - 103S SW1 Transponder 1 = 79 Transponder 3= 51. Not great signals for my LiL. I shouldn't even get a picture on the two locals that are listed on Transponder 3 with those readings.... yet I have great pictures on all locals. I think the transponders are listed wrong.
5 LNB AU9 Slimline, SWM16, 1 - HR34, 2 - HR21-700, 2 - HR20-700, 1 - HR20-100, 1 H21, Networked cat 5, CE.

#129 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,296 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

for gct... Network 602 Huntsville, AL - 103S SW1 Transponder 1 = 79 Transponder 3= 51. Not great signals for my LiL. I shouldn't even get a picture on the two locals that are listed on Transponder 3 with those readings.... yet I have great pictures on all locals. I think the transponders are listed wrong.

Can you make pictures of these screens with signals on 99/103 ?

Can you use DTV Control program (from Internet) and read net/tid/etc by it ? Search for PDF MD-0058...: command manual.
You will need USB-Serial dongle for that. Or using some program what could retrieve the data using TCP/IP connection...

Edited by P Smith, 06 September 2012 - 08:56 PM.

#130 OFFLINE   hidefman

hidefman

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

Can you use DTV Control program (from Internet) and read net/tid/etc by it ?
You will need USB-Serial dongle for that. Or using some program what could retrieve the data using TCP/IP connection...

hmmm, my receiver and my computer are side by side... I will have to study up on this... don't know the program you are referrring to... I will try to figures it out....
5 LNB AU9 Slimline, SWM16, 1 - HR34, 2 - HR21-700, 2 - HR20-700, 1 - HR20-100, 1 H21, Networked cat 5, CE.

#131 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

I dunno in the compatibility section they list really OLD receivers. My laptop doesn't even have a serial port. Hard to find a laptop that does these days.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#132 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,296 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

I dunno in the compatibility section they list really OLD receivers. My laptop doesn't even have a serial port. Hard to find a laptop that does these days.

USB-Serial dongle connecting to all NEW receivers via USB. Use a second in reverse if your PC have no UART.

#133 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,220 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

Can you use DTV Control program (from Internet) and read net/tid/etc by it ? Search for PDF MD-0058...: command manual.

Might this work? Put your receiver ip address into the <receiver ip> section below and outputs a long string of HEX values which correspond to different fields of channel information (which I'm still figuring out how to interpret).

I'm sure some here know exactly what it all says. :)

http://<receiver ip>:8080/serial/processCommand?cmd=FA83

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#134 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:11 AM

Might this work? Put your receiver ip address into the <receiver ip> section below and outputs a long string of HEX values which correspond to different fields of channel information (which I'm still figuring out how to interpret).

Hey thanks that works; :)

For networked HD DVRs anyway.

Yeah, I need a program which can properly parse this long Hex string as well. But using my HR34 tuned to local KABC 7 as an example in the meantime and breaking it down manually. It parses this way for the string with my access card and RID hex equivalents removed for "X" of course :);

"0007FFFF1009FF10301032FFFF000A7E130907051F1C05000000000000000000XXXXXXXXXXXX53XXXXXXXXXXXX"

"00 07" The major Hi/Lo tuned channel number (in this case ch. 7 KABC local)

"FF FF" minor Hi/Lo channel number (unused in this instance)

"10" Channel type tuned to ("10" means its an HD channel)

"09" The audio channel type ("09" means its AC3 in/outut)

"FF" Data type ("FF" means None)

1030 Video PID

1032 Audio PID

FFFF Data PID ("FFFF" means none)

000A Network number (means #10 or the CONUS beam from 99c)

7E TID (#126)

13 Years after 1993
09 Month
07 Day of Month
05 Hours
1F Minutes
1C Seconds
05 Day of Week

(Time is UTC)

00 00 00 00 ROM version IDs 0-3

00 00 00 00 00 STS IDs 0-4

XXXXXXXXXXXX CAM ID or Access card number (redacted)

53 Signal Strength (83)

XXXXXXXXXXXX Receiver ID (redacted).

• tonyn likes this

#135 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:39 AM

hmmm, my receiver and my computer are side by side... I will have to study up on this... don't know the program you are referrring to... I will try to figures it out....

If your box is networked you may use the URL address Go Beavs just posted for any of the local channels on each of those transponders.

Post the results from the hex string (see my previous example) for the TID (between (00-FF) and Signal Strength (between 00-64) values.

P.S.- Make sure under your "Whole-Home" in the receiver settings the "External Device" option is set to "allow" in all categories.

#136 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:18 AM

That's what I used to use. I think that's why I was wondering why I would need a USB to serial dongle at the laptop connected to another USB to serial dongle at the HR24.

I wonder if all the serial commands are implemented. I know I had it saved as a favorite on my old iPhone so I could check the signal strength during storms.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#137 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,220 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

Hey thanks that works; :)

For networked HD DVRs anyway.

Yeah, I need a program which can properly parse this long Hex string as well. But using my HR34 tuned to local KABC 7 as an example in the meantime and breaking it down manually. It parses this way for the string with my access card and RID hex equivalents removed for "X" of course :);

"0007FFFF1009FF10301032FFFF000A7E130907051F1C05000000000000000000XXXXXXXXXXXX53XXXXXXXXXXXX"

Thanks for breaking that out for us HoTat2. I was too tired last night to put a whole lot of effort into it.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#138 OFFLINE   hidefman

hidefman

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

If your box is networked you may use the URL address Go Beavs just posted for any of the local channels on each of those transponders.

Post the results from the hex string (see my previous example) for the TID (between (00-FF) and Signal Strength (between 00-64) values.

P.S.- Make sure under your "Whole-Home" in the receiver settings the "External Device" option is set to "allow" in all categories.

Ok, what a great group to help out with such good advice.

I have all my receivers networked for whole home using cat5 to my router, so I should be good to go.

Now, to be sure I am doing what I need to be doing... I should put the receiver channel on one of my local A3 LiL channels before entering the above link with that receiver's ip address into my computer to get the hex string, right?

#139 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

Ok, what a great group to help out with such good advice.

I have all my receivers networked for whole home using cat5 to my router, so I should be good to go.

Now, to be sure I am doing what I need to be doing... I should put the receiver channel on one of my local A3 LiL channels before entering the above link with that receiver's ip address into my computer to get the hex string, right?

Yep;

Remember NOT to simply post the entire string as your access card ("CAM") and receiver ID ("RID") hex equivalents are included in the string. ;)

#140 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

Interesting!

I wanted to play with that myself... but I can't get it to work.

I entered in "xxx.xxx.x.xxx:8080/serial/processCommand?cmd=FA83" in the address bar and all I got was:

{
"command": true,
"param": true,
"prefix": true,
"return": {
"data": "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx",
"response": 244,
"value": 0
},
"status": {
"code": 200,
"commandResult": 0,
"msg": "OK.",
"query": "/serial/processCommand?cmd=FA83"
}
}

I subsituted xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for a bunch of numbers that I wasn't sure I wanted publicly or not.

~Alan

spam firewall