Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Aren't we due for an OTA module?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:19 AM

They should be able to cleanly have a dual-tuner USB 2.0 stick, but I don't know if one exists OR if Dish would support it if it does.

I know this one works for MAC, but the technology is here to have two tuners on one usb.

http://www.elgato.co...roduct1.en.html

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

I will see what you'll say when you'll pay for the OTA USB tuner $150.

I doubt it will cost that much. I probably have that much tied up in my rooftop antenna anyway. I'll bet an off-the-shelf unit will be supported and they simply aren't that pricey. I don't expect it to be free.
All I want is a Perfect DVR!

#23 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

Even regular old USB can handle some OTA... The most bandwidth possible IF the entire OTA channel is devoted to a single channel is a little over 19 Mbps

USB is capable of 12Mbps, so couldn't handle that... but if you have an OTA that is doing 720p and multicasting 3 channels, one of them might be under 12 Mbps as a result.

USB 2.0 has WAY more capacity than required to deliver an HD signal from OTA.

They should be able to cleanly have a dual-tuner USB 2.0 stick, but I don't know if one exists OR if Dish would support it if it does.

Yea and if DISH does come out with a single OTA USB tuner module for me that would be disappointing,but why not ,I know when DISH first brought out the Hopper I thought it was at least one satellite tuner short.:confused:

#24 OFFLINE   Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

Your doubts are incorrect. USB2 handles the HD video stream perfectly fine. Has for at least 7 years.

Yep, you are correct. I am corrected!

I was comparing USB to the uncompressed HD 1080i video stream, which is around 1.4Gbps.
Equipment List
Dish Hopper
3 Joeys
Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP HDTV
OPPO BDP-83 Blu Ray Player
Marantz SR5004 AVR
Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 L/C/R Speakers
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 Surrounds
SVS 25-31PC Subwoofer

spam firewall