Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper and wifi...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

How many of you are using wifi with it? Have you had any problems with connectivity and such? I've got a 20 mb speed on my wifi and was just wondering how the Hopper works with setups so far.
HR 22-100 Vizio 42" 1080P
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

I've heard nothing but positive things
GO BUCKS
Respect the sweater-vest

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,713 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

WiFi = unpredictable speed, I would say - unreliable connection for HD stream(s).
Just turn on your microwave or start your vacuum or use your cordless phone for test...

#4 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 908 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

I have a WiFi adapter that I have used with a 722, 922, and now the Hopper. I get a signal strength of about 48-55. I sling all the time streaming Better or Best/HD quality without any problems. I use the extender cable for the adapter to pickup the strongest signal. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

How many of you are using wifi with it? Have you had any problems with connectivity and such? I've got a 20 mb speed on my wifi and was just wondering how the Hopper works with setups so far.

#5 OFFLINE   TallGuyXP

TallGuyXP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

My Wi-Fi signal strength was around 50-60, but I had spotty connectivity to my computer via DLNA. I ended up replacing the Wi-Fi connector with a HIC upstairs by the router and a Tap downstairs by the hopper. Works perfectly now!
------------------------------------
Dish Network Hopper (no joeys)
JVC D702B A/V Receiver
Panasonic TH50PH9UK 50" plasma

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,713 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

I have a WiFi adapter that I have used with a 722, 922, and now the Hopper. I get a signal strength of about 48-55. I sling all the time streaming Better or Best/HD quality without any problems. I use the extender cable for the adapter to pickup the strongest signal. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

FYI: there not exist two identical WiFi setups.
It's like your health - no one is you and you can't propagate your health parameters to other ppl.

#7 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

WiFi = unpredictable speed, I would say - unreliable connection for HD stream(s).
Just turn on your microwave or start your vacuum or use your cordless phone for test...

Or buy multiple large directional antennas and ramp up the Xmit (like I did :D .) Wireless Joey using Dish-supplied wireless adapter streams flawlessly 22-45 ft away with 4 walls. Cordless phones are 5.8 GHz, I'm still using 2.4 for WiFi, vacuum/microwave are a non-issue. Then again this is with $200 in WiFi equipment, not your typical setup :P .

spam firewall