Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Could a DIRT rep. please give info on AMC situation?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

:) Hi, and thanks in advance for your help. Realzing that you are as "informed" as Dish wants you to be, would you be able to tell us if Dish is still negotiating with AMC/IFC et. al?

Are theses stations "permanently" lost, or is there still hope? We have been very satisfied customers (with all the premium stations) for eight years, but these stations (esp. AMC) are extremely important to us. I plan on waiting a few weeks, as I don't want to switch in a "panic". Does Dish realize if the viewers miss the premieres of Breaking Bad and Hell On Wheels that there will be a mass exodus?

Our computer is at work, so we cannot stream at home. Also, we have the sat TV to watch, not to pay for another service for the stations we like.

We do not want to switch but will if necessary. Any info (or "rays of hope" - pun intended, Ray!) would be appreciated.
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,525 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=204713
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 909 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

We are open to a creative proposal from AMC Networks that would resolve this situation, but at this point it looks like the channels will be down permanently. This is the current information I have available. Thanks.

:) Hi, and thanks in advance for your help. Realzing that you are as "informed" as Dish wants you to be, would you be able to tell us if Dish is still negotiating with AMC/IFC et. al?

Are theses stations "permanently" lost, or is there still hope? We have been very satisfied customers (with all the premium stations) for eight years, but these stations (esp. AMC) are extremely important to us. I plan on waiting a few weeks, as I don't want to switch in a "panic". Does Dish realize if the viewers miss the premieres of Breaking Bad and Hell On Wheels that there will be a mass exodus?

Our computer is at work, so we cannot stream at home. Also, we have the sat TV to watch, not to pay for another service for the stations we like.

We do not want to switch but will if necessary. Any info (or "rays of hope" - pun intended, Ray!) would be appreciated.

#4 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 603 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

if DISH is promoting ROKU as an alternative I wouldn't hold your breath. And, is it worth $80+ (Directv) a month for 1 channel...when you'd lose all these HD channels:

BBC AMERICA
BLOOMBERG
CENTRIC
COOKING
DIY (DO IT YOURSELF)
EPIX 1
EPIX 2
EPIX 3
G4
GALAVISION
GAME SHOW NETWORK
H2
HISTORY iNTERNATIONAL
HLN (HEADLINE NEWS NETWORK)
INDIEPLEX
INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY
LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK
LOGO
MAV TV
NAT GEO WILD
NFL RED ZONE
OPRAH WINFREY NETWORK
PIXL
RETROPLEX
RFD TV
SPORTSMAN
STYLE
TCM (TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES)
THE HUB
VERIA

#5 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Thanks, Ray, for the speedy response. DIsh cust service has always been excellent. It willbe a tough chice to switch, as we do want BBC in HD occas, but don't get EPIX. Overall, Dish is a better "bargain", as cable is nearly 50% more!!

DirecTV is having so many promos now that we would save a lot on our bills for a while. With the exception of the premiums, almost all of our programming is on AMC.

I hope the parties involved can meet in the middle, somehow. Seeing posters (on any forum!) trash talk any provider doesn't seem appropriate to me, so I appreciate your patience.
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#6 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

... is it worth $80+ (Directv) a month for 1 channel...when you'd lose all these HD channels...

That's why when I dropped Dish I went to cable. I kept most of the channels listed and gained several other HD channels like the Disney/ABC channels, IFC, ESPNU, Fuse, Outdoor, Oxygen, Smithsonian, TVLand, WE, Wealth and several premiums. Plus I gained all my local sub-channels like This!, MeTV, local weather and a couple of PBS's. U-verse is a good option for many too.

#7 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

On this site on MAY4th the first news articles were posted that DISH would drop AMC, 2 months plus and customers are still posting "is DISH dropping AMC"? How dense can some people be? DISH is giving credits to subscribe to AMC services on other sources. They have already calculated the cost of dropping AMC VS a new contract and concluded that dropping was less costly.

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

Closing this duplicate thread to avoid splintering the conversation with the already existing thread.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=204713

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall