Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need Samsung TV for HR34

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ProfJason

ProfJason

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

I'm on the phone with DirecTV now and was asking about ordering an HR34, and was told that I had to have a Samsung TV with RVU on it to be able to order the HR34. That doesn't sound right there. Do you have to have a Samsung TV to have the HR34 work properly?

Jason

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

Absolutely not. RVU (which is on some Samsungs) is an optional feature, not a requirement.

#3 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

What he said. Make sure you are clarifying it with the agent on your purpose for the HR34
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

It will work with either RVU or the "old-fashioned" way. I don't personally see great benefit for the RVU as you still have to pay a per RVU/ fee AFAIK. If you aren't getting a deal and don't need installation I would recommend just buying from Solidsignal.com and spare yourself the headache.

5 - HR22-100 4 via regular ethernet, 1 via DECA, 2 HR21-700 networked via regular ethernet, HR21-100 networked via DECA, H25-500
R15-500 Inactive, H20-600 (ECO 2.0) inactive,D11 (Humax LD2060) inactive
Slimline 5 w/ SWM8 parallel w/ SWM16 w/DECA

#5 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Agent is incorrect
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#6 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Several people have posted that a CSR told them they needed a Samsung TV to use with the HR34. The CSRs misunderstood the training they were given....

#7 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

To say the least...none of the training stated anything near that...just said it could be used with it

#8 OFFLINE   ProfJason

ProfJason

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:48 PM

Thanks. The next representative I talked to did understand what the HR34 could do and was like, that would work on your TV, you don't need a Samsung. I was just really surprised at how insistent the first agent was about the Samsung, when I was saying that I hadn't read anything either on the DirecTV website about that or on the message boards here.

#9 OFFLINE   housemr

housemr

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

i just setup my movers connection and asked for a hr34 because i really want the picture and picture but the rep told me i needed a samsung tv so he just gave me a hddvr but after reading this thread i think i should call back in.

also, what are the different layouts for picture in picture? are they predefined or can you move the box around yourself? what about splitting the screen 50/50?

finally if i do call in and get that changed does the hr34 still only require one cable outlet or many?

#10 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

i just setup my movers connection and asked for a hr34 because i really want the picture and picture but the rep told me i needed a samsung tv so he just gave me a hddvr but after reading this thread i think i should call back in.

also, what are the different layouts for picture in picture? are they predefined or can you move the box around yourself? what about splitting the screen 50/50?

finally if i do call in and get that changed does the hr34 still only require one cable outlet or many?

1. yes you should
2. yes to all
3. yes just one sat in

#11 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

If you want the 34, call back. It may impact your Movers date, but that depends on what your local installer has in stock.

I don't know about the PIP, but YouTube has a number of videos advertising demonstrations of the PIP.

The 34 only uses one coax to run.

#12 OFFLINE   housemr

housemr

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

Thanks to both of you. My install date is Aug 11 so i am hoping they will have stock by then. I will let you know what they say after i call back in.

Hardware wise will i just have a bigger swm box and i am guessing more lines coming from the dish? Is the physical size of the dish going to be bigger/heavier?

#13 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

Thanks to both of you. My install date is Aug 11 so i am hoping they will have stock by then. I will let you know what they say after i call back in.

Hardware wise will i just have a bigger swm box and i am guessing more lines coming from the dish? Is the physical size of the dish going to be bigger/heavier?

It will only be on the truck if you get the order changed.
Not knowing your current hardware, it is hard to answer your other question. It depends on your number of tuners (2 tuners for each DVR, 5 for HR34 and 1 for each receiver). If you have 8 or less, then there will be a SMW LNB with one wire down to splitters with one coax per each unit. If you exceed 8 tuners, then 4 wires from the dish to a SMW16 switch and then one wire from that switch to each unit.

(number grammar rule violated acknowledged)

#14 OFFLINE   housemr

housemr

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

It will only be on the truck if you get the order changed.
Not knowing your current hardware, it is hard to answer your other question. It depends on your number of tuners (2 tuners for each DVR, 5 for HR34 and 1 for each receiver). If you have 8 or less, then there will be a SMW LNB with one wire down to splitters with one coax per each unit. If you exceed 8 tuners, then 4 wires from the dish to a SMW16 switch and then one wire from that switch to each unit.

(number grammar rule violated acknowledged)

Also, is it true that if i only have one line run into a room (large rec room) and I want to have multiple directv receivers in that room, with mrv/swm they can just use a splitter at the wall outlet and then run a line to each receiver instead of having to run a whole new second line for receiver 2?

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,954 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

Also, is it true that if i only have one line run into a room (large rec room) and I want to have multiple directv receivers in that room, with mrv/swm they can just use a splitter at the wall outlet and then run a line to each receiver instead of having to run a whole new second line for receiver 2?

That is how I'm doing it, but one coax does max out with 8 tuners.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   housemr

housemr

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:26 AM

If you want the 34, call back. It may impact your Movers date, but that depends on what your local installer has in stock.

I don't know about the PIP, but YouTube has a number of videos advertising demonstrations of the PIP.

The 34 only uses one coax to run.

i called back in and was able to the hr 34. the csr rep cancelled the original order (instead of modifying) and then reset it the movers. now the issue seems to be she didnt add Relocating my Existing HDDVR IRD. i called back a few hours later and and was told everything was fine. well this morning i got a confirmation of order email from directv showing a slimline dish (can that support over 8 tuners?) and no reconnection of existing dvrs.

what should i do now as two csrs have told me everything is setup correctly?

old email confirmation
Posted Image

new email confirmation
Posted Image

Edited by housemr, 02 August 2012 - 07:51 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

Answered in other thread...

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...