Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Did D* change the voice promts when trying to get retention?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 480 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

I said "cancel" and still only got a level one CSR - had to actually ask for a retention rep.

Did this twice with same results.

Did something with the IVR change?

Edited by DrummerBoy523, 11 July 2012 - 03:52 PM.

• Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

hahahaha possibly because of message boards
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,749 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

I said "cancel cancel" and still only got a level one CSR - had to actually ask for a retention rep.

Did this twice with same results.

Did something with the IVR change?

so you asked if they were retention? I'd assume they wouldn't advertise the fact, even if they were.

#4 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

They saw your $200 ST discount from last year and said "screw it, let the level one folks deal with them" :lol:
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

I don't know, I've never attempted to get retentions.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

I don't know, I've never attempted to get retentions.

So you posted.....why?

#7 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

So you posted.....why?

So you posted...why?
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#8 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 890 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

I noticed the same thing, I was calling into make a few changes and said "cancel" because it seems the retention CSRs really know what they are talking about. The 1st call (to add Showtime) went OK to start, but the CSR Forgot to authorize my recievers. So I called back got a 2nd CSR explained what happened and she authorized them. Then I asked about RZC as I have had it free for the last 2 years on my account. She informed me I must be mistaken because DirecTV has never offered it as a stand alone product. Shen went on and on how I have them confused with comcast etc. After told me I was wrong and never had RZC I just said "I am not going to argue what service I know I have had, I'll deal with it a later time..." and left it at that. I was rather frustrated by the whole situation.

I began to think the same thing as the OP, DirecTV no longer routes you to a rentention CSR when you say "cancel," I didn't even have the option to say "cancel" twice.

#9 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:21 AM

Probably because everyone now calls "retentions" (actually the dept is "retention" :)) the queue is so backed up it gets rolled over to a regular CSR which is what usually happens in a call center.

Edited by TBlazer07, 07 July 2012 - 07:55 AM.
Misspelled "retention" / fixed

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,749 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:20 AM

I noticed the same thing, I was calling into make a few changes and said "cancel" because it seems the retention CSRs really know what they are talking about. The 1st call (to add Showtime) went OK to start, but the CSR Forgot to authorize my recievers. So I called back got a 2nd CSR explained what happened and she authorized them.

Just to be sure, you know you don't have to call them to do a reauthorization, you can do it yourself, right?

#11 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:31 AM

Probably because everyone now calls "retentions" (actually the word is "retension" :)).

:confused:

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,749 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

Funny, I had no idea that "retension" isn't a word, at least according to Merriam-Webster. I use to retension Travan tapes.

#13 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

Yea, I typo'd a letter. :sure: I meant to say: it's RETENTION department not RETENTIONS. At least that's what it was when I was there (at Vonage not DirecTV) many years ago.

#14 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:53 AM

Retentions is similar to Daylight Savings Time
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#15 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

Funny, I had no idea that "retension" isn't a word, at least according to Merriam-Webster. I use to retension Travan tapes.

Actually retension might be the accurate descriptor here, as in "regarding tensions between the customer and Directv" or "re:tensions"

#16 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

Actually retension might be the accurate descriptor here, as in "regarding tensions between the customer and Directv" or "re:tensions"

Sounds like in some cases they're "extending tensions between the customer and DirecTV," a.k.a. "extensions." :D
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#17 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 890 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

Just to be sure, you know you don't have to call them to do a reauthorization, you can do it yourself, right?

The issue seemed to be the CSR never competed the activation.

#18 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

I noticed the same thing, I was calling into make a few changes and said "cancel" because it seems the retention CSRs really know what they are talking about. The 1st call (to add Showtime) went OK to start, but the CSR Forgot to authorize my recievers. So I called back got a 2nd CSR explained what happened and she authorized them. Then I asked about RZC as I have had it free for the last 2 years on my account. She informed me I must be mistaken because DirecTV has never offered it as a stand alone product. Shen went on and on how I have them confused with comcast etc. After told me I was wrong and never had RZC I just said "I am not going to argue what service I know I have had, I'll deal with it a later time..." and left it at that. I was rather frustrated by the whole situation.

I began to think the same thing as the OP, DirecTV no longer routes you to a rentention CSR when you say "cancel," I didn't even have the option to say "cancel" twice.

you're right - I actually only said CANCEL once. I hate dealing with the level 1's - they screw things up too much.

And for all the smart asses who posted a bunch of crap that contributed nothing to this thread - get a life.
  • Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

#19 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

so you asked if they were retention? I'd assume they wouldn't advertise the fact, even if they were.

Yes, I asked. They said "no" and then transferred me to retention.
  • Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

spam firewall