Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help me understand the dependencies between Hopper/Joeys and internet connection

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Xyzzy.dude

Xyzzy.dude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

I have 1 hopper and 3 Joeys.

In the last few days I've been having problems with my internet connection. I've also noticed that when the internet connection goes down, the hopper and joeys seem to lose their connection. Every time I've had an internet problem, I have to reset the hopper before the Joeys can connect to it.

This confuses me because I thought they were connected through MOCA over my coax, not over my home ethernet/wireless network. I thought the internet was just used to push on -demand content. What else is it used for?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

It is used to get an IP address. Once the router has an error, all connected devices, including your receivers, will also have an error.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,769 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:59 PM

Are your Js has Ethernet cables ?

#4 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:52 AM

I'm assuming you're H/J are connected with a HIC - this makes them run the MOCA IP scheme with your routers DHCP configuration. If you were to disconnect the HIC and connect the Hopper with a direct ethernet cable or wifi this would prevent the Joeys from crashing due to a invalid IP everytime your router does, since they would effectively be two separate networks then.

#5 OFFLINE   How/Rad

How/Rad

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

the broadband connection is only for on demand content, your 2 problem are not connected the hoppers and joeys don't need a internet connection at all to work live tv or dvred content

#6 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

Confirm that you have only one connection to your broadband network.

#7 OFFLINE   Xyzzy.dude

Xyzzy.dude

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I checked the connection setup menu and confirmed that the Joeys are only connected through MOCA, and the only broadband connection is the hopper's wireless connection.

Despite that I've noticed that the Joeys and my home network are in the same subnet (192.168.2.0/24) which makes me think Hopper is trying to bridge them all to my home network?

#8 OFFLINE   Xyzzy.dude

Xyzzy.dude

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

I'm assuming you're H/J are connected with a HIC - this makes them run the MOCA IP scheme with your routers DHCP configuration. If you were to disconnect the HIC and connect the Hopper with a direct ethernet cable or wifi this would prevent the Joeys from crashing due to a invalid IP everytime your router does, since they would effectively be two separate networks then.

This sounds like my problem but I don't understand everything you said. What is HIC? My Hopper is connected to my broadband through wireless. The Joeys are connected to the hopper using MOCA over my home coax and don't show any other connection in their setup screens. All are in the same subnet however, as if the Hopper is bridging the Joeys onto my home network?

#9 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

This sounds like my problem but I don't understand everything you said. What is HIC? My Hopper is connected to my broadband through wireless. The Joeys are connected to the hopper using MOCA over my home coax and don't show any other connection in their setup screens. All are in the same subnet however, as if the Hopper is bridging the Joeys onto my home network?

Your Hopper will bridge the MOCA Network (Joey's) to the Hopper's Internet connection. One Internet connection will feed the entire Hopper/Joey environment.

When you have Internet issues can you explain the exact symptoms? What features don't work?
Equipment: 2 Hopper, 1 Joey [soon to be 2 Joeys]

#10 OFFLINE   depoteet

depoteet

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

I do not have a HIC. I have a wired internet connection to my Hopper. I do not have access to Home Media on my Joeys. Originally I understood that I would need an HIC or internet connections directly to the Hopper and the Joeys if I wanted to get internet services on the Joeys.

My installer said I didn't need either, only a connection at the Hopper, as a software change would allow the Joeys to use that connection.

I would like to access Home Media from my Joeys. What do I need?

Thanks

#11 OFFLINE   strikes2k

strikes2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

I do not have a HIC. I have a wired internet connection to my Hopper. I do not have access to Home Media on my Joeys. Originally I understood that I would need an HIC or internet connections directly to the Hopper and the Joeys if I wanted to get internet services on the Joeys.

My installer said I didn't need either, only a connection at the Hopper, as a software change would allow the Joeys to use that connection.

I would like to access Home Media from my Joeys. What do I need?

Thanks

Check if bridging is enabled on the Hopper:

Yellow Hot Key
Select Network
Select Broadband
Select MoCA from drop down
Blue Hot Key twice.

If bridging is enabled it should bridge your home network to the Joeys.

spam firewall