Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21 vs HR20 and HR22

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dsexton

dsexton

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

Does the HR21 offer any advantage over either the HR20 or HR22? I took advantage of the offer for long time customers to get a free HD DVR, with the thought of replacing one of my olders ones. I am inclined to keep the HR20 because of the OTA and because the HR22 is way slower. From what I have read of the 21 it seems some people have had issues with its slowness too.

Of course the picture when you open the offer on the web site shows a nice new HR24 which is all I was really interested in getting. I think I will just call them and tell them I don't want the 21 and if they don't have a 24 I will just return it. It would replace an H25 which I have in conjunction with an HR34. I know I will have to buy another DECA to use the HR21 unless I decommission one of my existing HRs. I don't think it is worth it for old technology.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

HR21 is an HR22 with a smaller hard drive. If you dont like the HR22, you will not like the HR21.
HR24 is my favorite box, speed wise. Solid box (right now anyway).

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,155 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:26 AM

I don't want the 21 and if they don't have a 24 I will just return it.

No matter what the CSR says, promises, swears, guarantees or whatever they cannot guarantee you will receive an HR24. For orders, HR21-HR24 are the luck of the draw.

If you want an HR24, you have to purchase it from a dealer to be assured you will get one.

#4 OFFLINE   ghontz1

ghontz1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

I just upgraded to a free DVR. Tuesday. The installer gave me an HR21-200. I asked him why I'm getting such an outdated DVR, he said that was all he had on his truck and that was the only one they could get from Directv. I also wanted VOD but was told since I didn't have a wireless router he couldn't install cinema kit. One thing he did do was install SWM. so now I'm able to use my H25-700. I guess since it was free (I also have protection plan) I shouldn't complain.

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

The HR20 was a solid DVR. I have 3 of them. I also have a 21. The 21, 22, and 23 seemed to be dumbed-down versions of the 20. They seem to be functionally pretty similar, other than the OTA option, which mostly becomes a moot point the minute that your locals are available over spot beam, which happened years ago for most of us. But it appears that cost-cutting in those models (21, 22, 23) was the order of the day.

The advantage of the 24? A faster CPU. The advantage of a 21 over a 20? Youth.

The later the build date on your DVR, the longer it will survive (the shelf-life clock started earlier on the 20, for instance, than on later models), or at least the odds dictate that probability. Not so much the HDD, which is regularly swapped out when the units are refurbed (and all but the 24 and up are probably refurbs by now). But what is not swapped out is the power supply and the motherboard. Motherboards can last forever, but the power supply definitely has a shelf life that makes the difference between owning (leasing, really) a 21, 22, 23 somewhat of an increasing advantage over the 20, which may be nearly 6 years old by now.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   ghontz1

ghontz1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Right now the only problem I'm having with the HR21 is the video blocking out about every 15 to 30 minuets on air or or on a recording.Both my H24 And my H25 never does this.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...