Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recording/playback annoyances

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

My setup is in signature below....

1. I've downloaded several HBO episodes of Game of Thrones. My Hopper prematurely terminates playback. It's at the very tail end of the program, and usually occurs during the "inside the episode" portion of the download.

2. I have timers set up to record Wilfred and Louie on FX back-to-back. Both timers are set to start one minute early and one minute late. The Hopper doesn't seem to have the intelligence to handle the overlap correctly. My DirecTV DVR would open a new file for the second recording, and the content would overlap with the end of the first recording. The Hopper doesn't do this. It simply ignores the one minute extension on the first program. A lot of times, the first program is victim to problem number one above. Playback terminates before the end of the program.
DISH subscriber since March 2012
1000.2 HD dish antenna with Solo Node
Living room: XiP813 Hopper (S238) to Visio XVT553SV via HDMI; connected to 100Base-TX LAN
Home theatre: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, then to Panasonic TC-P65VT50 via HDMI
Bedroom: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Sony KDL-26M3000 via HDMI
Internet access: Comcast 10Mb/s; Dynamic IP; NAT on Linksys E3200 router

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

Dish receivers never added extra time before and after if recordings are from the same channel. One work around is to set one time on the channel's high channel slot and the next at the mapped down location.

#3 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

If you have back-to-back timers set with extended times, you are causing conflicts since the timers overlap. If you have back-to-back timers, you don't need the extended times. garys has a good suggestion to counteract this issue. If you have further questions, please let me know.. Thanks.

My setup is in signature below....

1. I've downloaded several HBO episodes of Game of Thrones. My Hopper prematurely terminates playback. It's at the very tail end of the program, and usually occurs during the "inside the episode" portion of the download.

2. I have timers set up to record Wilfred and Louie on FX back-to-back. Both timers are set to start one minute early and one minute late. The Hopper doesn't seem to have the intelligence to handle the overlap correctly. My DirecTV DVR would open a new file for the second recording, and the content would overlap with the end of the first recording. The Hopper doesn't do this. It simply ignores the one minute extension on the first program. A lot of times, the first program is victim to problem number one above. Playback terminates before the end of the program.

#4 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

Still doesn't explain why playback prematurely stops...

The extended time is setup as a DVR default. Any suggestion to a workaround is a cop out, IMO, and the DVR should do the right thing.
DISH subscriber since March 2012
1000.2 HD dish antenna with Solo Node
Living room: XiP813 Hopper (S238) to Visio XVT553SV via HDMI; connected to 100Base-TX LAN
Home theatre: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, then to Panasonic TC-P65VT50 via HDMI
Bedroom: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Sony KDL-26M3000 via HDMI
Internet access: Comcast 10Mb/s; Dynamic IP; NAT on Linksys E3200 router

#5 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

Still doesn't explain why playback prematurely stops...

The extended time is setup as a DVR default. Any suggestion to a workaround is a cop out, IMO, and the DVR should do the right thing.

I'm going to have to agree with that 100%. I understand that lags are inherent in satellite broadcasts, but the system needs to be programmed to compensate for them so that playback will be correct and seamless for the customer.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

Protected By... spam firewall...And...