Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will Hopper on a 500+ dish w/2nd dish input work?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   l'Aucherie

l'Aucherie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

I would like to set up a Hopper on a Dish 500+ for 110/118.7/119 with second dish using a DPP LNB for 72.7 (obstruction problems with 129). This would normally be done using a DPP44 switch. It looks to me that in addition to the DPP44, you need to connect a solo note between the switch and the Hopper. Is this correct? Also, given that 72.7 carries many of the SD channels available on 110/119 (and maybe even a few of the HD) will this mess up the channel guide? Thanks in advance for replies.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,739 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

I would like to set up a Hopper on a Dish 500+ for 110/118.7/119 with second dish using a DPP LNB for 72.7 (obstruction problems with 129). This would normally be done using a DPP44 switch. It looks to me that in addition to the DPP44, you need to connect a solo note between the switch and the Hopper. Is this correct? Also, given that 72.7 carries many of the SD channels available on 110/119 (and maybe even a few of the HD) will this mess up the channel guide? Thanks in advance for replies.

The node can be fed off of the DPP44 ... Hoppers are only fed from a node so you will need one regardless of how the node is fed.

The channel conflicts may or may not be a problem. There are HD channels on 110 and 119 that are also on 72.7 as well as the SD channels on 72.7 that are also on 110 and 119. I don't believe anyone has been able to prove a preference in the receiver for one set over the other ... it seems random. It isn't an issue as long as all satellites in your system are received strongly.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Just technical: using DPP outputs (from LNBF or DPP44/33) would allow h2k use only two tuners from three.

#4 OFFLINE   l'Aucherie

l'Aucherie

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

The node can be fed off of the DPP44 ... Hoppers are only fed from a node so you will need one regardless of how the node is fed.

The channel conflicts may or may not be a problem. There are HD channels on 110 and 119 that are also on 72.7 as well as the SD channels on 72.7 that are also on 110 and 119. I don't believe anyone has been able to prove a preference in the receiver for one set over the other ... it seems random. It isn't an issue as long as all satellites in your system are received strongly.

Do you know if these conflicts would show up as the channels being listed multiple times?

Just technical: using DPP outputs (from LNBF or DPP44/33) would allow h2k use only two tuners from three.

Why only 2 tuners which implies that only a 1000.4 dish with the solo node will give you full hopper functionality? If this is the case, would a 1000 western arc dish with no signal to the 129 LNB and a 72.7 dish with a DPP LNB hooked to the 4th sat input work. The 1000.4 LNB assembly would be connected to the Hopper via a solo node only (i.e no DPP44).

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

I mean without Solo node. Just direct cable to h2k. Three h2k's tuners need DPX signaling (three ranges over one cable) what only Solo (or Duo) could provide.
The 1000.4 LNB assembly has internal DPP switch. And Solo need two cables from DPP source.

#6 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

If you already have a DPP44 switch there's no harm in using it as you described, two DPP inputs from the switch to the solo node, one DPX line to Hopper. If you don't have the switch, consider the (relatively) new DPP500+ integrated LNB/switch:
Posted Image
500+ INT
Use the LNBF in port for the 72.7 wing dish, two cables to solo node will somewhat reduce clutter and potential failure points. Good luck!
Edit:
As far as full functionality, I don't believe 72.7 will have spot beam coverage for your HD local channels as 129 does. This would mean no PTAT if I am correct.

#7 OFFLINE   l'Aucherie

l'Aucherie

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Thanks WireNut for the suggestions, particularly your caution on my locals (which come from 110 (SD) and 61.5 (HD)). It looks like I will have to rethink which dishes and wing dishes I will have to use. Regardless, the advice given me in this thread has made me understand how the solo node works with and without a DPP44 which is appreciated.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,739 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

Do you know if these conflicts would show up as the channels being listed multiple times?

Each SD channel would show up once, each HD channel would show up once. You would not be able to select which SD or HD channel (which satellite source) shows up in your guide.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...