Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Watching recorded shows without active sat signal

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jgmiller31

jgmiller31

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

So here's deal, we're getting a new roof so that means our dish has to come down for about 4-5 days. Since it's the middle of summer it's not a huge issue plus it's the All Star break so I won't miss any MLB. I currently have a lot of shows recorded on our various DVR's, will I be able to watch those recorded shows without an active sat signal?

Thanks

John

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

I believe you can, as long as you dont reboot the DVR or lose power. I havent tried it with the current software though. You might just try disconnecting the satellite cable from the back and see what happens before you actually lose the dish.

You could also just set the dish up temporarily on a tripod/pipe in the yard, if you have line of site.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Martinrrrr

Martinrrrr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

You should be able to w/o any problems. I've watched recorded shows during heavy rain periods when the signal is out. Your are running off of the hard drive.
HR24-200

#4 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

I thought DIRECTV required a live sat signal within about 48 hours and if not detected, would prevent playback?

I think the idea to set up a temporary location is the best idea if you can swing it though...

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

You do need a periodic valid sat signal to retain authorization, but people have reported going anywhere from a day or two up to a month or two without a sat signal and still being able to view recordings. I would expect for the 4 to 5 day period you should be okay. However, you will probably need to have the dish realigned once it is put back up. Don't count on the roofing crew to put the dish back up properly.

#6 OFFLINE   jgmiller31

jgmiller31

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

Thanks, yeah the roofing crew already said they wouldn't put it back which is fine with me. I just need to figure out the timing to call DTV to have them send someone out for a reinstall.

#7 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:26 AM

I haven't had a sat signal for over 4 months (major house renovation) and can still watch my recordings. You'll have no problems.

#8 OFFLINE   Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

It seems like several people have had different outcomes with this. For me, I was able to watch channels except for the local ones that I recorded via AM-21. Those would give me a "not authorized" message.

#9 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

My understanding is that if you lose power to the DVR, it will not go past the satellite error message if it can't find a signal. Heed the warning up thread to keep the DVR on UPS if you are disconnecting the satellite!

#10 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

My understanding is that if you lose power to the DVR, it will not go past the satellite error message if it can't find a signal. Heed the warning up thread to keep the DVR on UPS if you are disconnecting the satellite!

You're right, it doesn't go past the error message. But then you press the List button. Voilà, your recordings are ready for viewing.

#11 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

You're right, it doesn't go past the error message. But then you press the List button. Voilà, your recordings are ready for viewing.

Very cool. Information the OP may need to know!

#12 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

I remember in "the good old days" you could watch recordings for months and months without a satellite signal but the current software doesn't allow that anymore. The big question is HOW LONG you can actually view recordings.

I think it varies depending on the model of the receiver. And I also think it makes a big difference if the receiver is powered down AFTER it loses the satellite signal. It may just think there is a temporary outage if it's not powered down, but if it IS powered down, it KNOWS there is no satellite signal for a different reason.

Maybe having an internet connection (but no satellite signal) makes a difference too, since the receiver can then verify that it is on an active account and what channels it should be authorized for.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

I just shut down one of my 24-500s and removed the sat coax. After it booted up and couldn't find the signals, I hit the List button and got nothing but a "bong".

Damn thing seemed like nothing would bring up the playlist and I was intending to bring it with me to the beach next week. Then, I thought about the Playlist on the Menu and that worked. Got on the Playlist and played a couple programs successfully. First time I've ever used the Playlist on the Menu.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

I recently moved and was without a satellite signal for like 5 days. I had to reboot my dvr several times between moving it from the old apartment to the new one and trying to decide where to put my entertainment unit at and i was still able to watch all my recordings.

#15 OFFLINE   johnsonsm4

johnsonsm4

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

I just moved to a new house that I am leasing that will not allow the satellite dish.  I hooked everything up and started a playback using the menu button but then the receiver rebooted.  It has done this more than once.  Is there a way to stop that automatic rebooting process?

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,345 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

perhaps connect LNBF ?

#17 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 728 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

I just moved to a new house that I am leasing that will not allow the satellite dish.  I hooked everything up and started a playback using the menu button but then the receiver rebooted.  It has done this more than once.  Is there a way to stop that automatic rebooting process?

There is not. It used to reboot without a satellite signal every 12 hours or so but now it's every 10 minutes or less. This will be corrected in a future software update, but right now no, without hooking up a satellite signal it will keep rebooting.

Edited by JBv, 15 May 2013 - 02:13 PM.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#18 OFFLINE   FYRPLG

FYRPLG

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

Just tried it on a HR20-700 that has been deactivated for a couple of wks.  Cant get past message "receiver id problem.call cust svc"

Unit has been plugged into sat and power during this time.

Called cust svc. Answer no you cannot watch recordings

Was going watch previous recordings, but!!!

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,512 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

Just tried it on a HR20-700 that has been deactivated for a couple of wks.  Cant get past message "receiver id problem.call cust svc"

Unit has been plugged into sat and power during this time.

Called cust svc. Answer no you cannot watch recordings

Was going watch previous recordings, but!!!

Yes, the receiver needs to be active on your account in order to watch those recordings.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,512 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

This will be corrected in a future software update, but right now no,

Perhaps this is "intentional"

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall