Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Watching recorded shows without active sat signal

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

My understanding is that if you lose power to the DVR, it will not go past the satellite error message if it can't find a signal. Heed the warning up thread to keep the DVR on UPS if you are disconnecting the satellite!

Unless they have changed it in the last 3-4 week, that is not the case.

Test it out yourself. Simply disconnect the RG6 and reboot. It will error out (Communication Problem with Satellite - 775). Will continue to try and reboot if you leave it there long enough. But hit menu (you will see 775 cabling problem in PIG). Press startup menu and move to Playlist. It will allow you to play programs off the hard drive.

It will not try a reboot loop when you are in the Startup Menu.

Agree that UPS is best, but it wasn't an issue in late April. UPS would also prevent any Whole Home Authorization issues upon reboot with no signal.

EDIT: I just tried this again with a HR20 and the above comments are correct - at least with a HR20. Have not attempted with a Genie.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 19 May 2013 - 07:42 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 60 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:46 PM

Has anyone tried this lately?  And, I can see how this would work during an evening watching TV - i.e., unplug the cable and then watch from the menu > playlist, but what happens, say, overnight?  Does the machine need to be unplugged from the power so it will reboot from scratch at the next startup?  Or just powered off as usual, then back on the next day?

#23 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,985 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:46 PM

Your best bet is to see what happens with your setup. Different units have different operations when it comes to that, and software versions can cause more variation. What is certain is that if you de-activate while connected to the sat., you'll not see anything after a power down and re-power. So, once you see what happens overnight, you'll get some info, but no one can say that it'll last for months, weeks, days or a few hours. A crap shoot you might say!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#24 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 591 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

Has anyone tried this lately?  And, I can see how this would work during an evening watching TV - i.e., unplug the cable and then watch from the menu > playlist, but what happens, say, overnight?  Does the machine need to be unplugged from the power so it will reboot from scratch at the next startup?  Or just powered off as usual, then back on the next day?

I recently added an HR44-500 (September 2013).  My plan was to keep one HR21-700 attached to the SWM 8 and disconnect the other but keep it active until we watched all the recorded shows.  I was able to watch shows on the disconnected HR21 for about 3 days, then it would not let me watch anything.  I tried all the above suggestions to get it to allow me to watch the recordings with no success.  I finally had to re-attach the coax to the second HR21 after running sat setup and telling it to use only one tuner to be able to watch the recorded shows.  The second HR21 never lost power and a reboot was not performed. 

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD 0x093d
DirecTV since 1997

#25 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,928 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

I recently added an HR44-500 (September 2013).  My plan was to keep one HR21-700 attached to the SWM 8 and disconnect the other but keep it active until we watched all the recorded shows.  I was able to watch shows on the disconnected HR21 for about 3 days, then it would not let me watch anything.  I tried all the above suggestions to get it to allow me to watch the recordings with no success.  I finally had to re-attach the coax to the second HR21 after running sat setup and telling it to use only one tuner to be able to watch the recorded shows.  The second HR21 never lost power and a reboot was not performed. 

Wondering what was preventing you from watching.  any error messages? Perhaps, a 722 OSD?...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#26 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 591 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:36 AM

Wondering what was preventing you from watching.  any error messages? Perhaps, a 722 OSD?...

I got a message that indicated I could not watch recorded shows without a satellite signal.  I don't remember exactly what the message said, but everything I tried would not get around it.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD 0x093d
DirecTV since 1997

Protected By... spam firewall...And...