Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NHL 2012-2013 Thread / NHL Center Ice / All NHL topics

• Please log in to reply
601 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

The biggest issue seems to be the revenue sharing arrangement. The top 10 teams are keeping the bottom 10 afloat. What needs to happen is contraction and do away with at least 6 teams that can't compete. One year of Revenue Sharing, could probably pay for buying out 4 teams and they could move two, to more stable markets. Of course the NHLPA doesn't want that. They just want to rape the large market teams, to keep the Florida's, Nashville's, Phoenix's, etc. afloat. It's a horrible business model.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:43 PM

i'll say nashville is starting to hold its own
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#83 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:59 AM

i'll say nashville is starting to hold its own

the contract they matched for weber might hurt them.

Directv Premier Sport Packages  NFL ST, MLB EI, NHL CI, NBA LP,

Comcast Triple Play TV ( cheapest tv package for CSN Philly and TCN)

#84 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:00 AM

The biggest issue seems to be the revenue sharing arrangement. The top 10 teams are keeping the bottom 10 afloat. What needs to happen is contraction and do away with at least 6 teams that can't compete. One year of Revenue Sharing, could probably pay for buying out 4 teams and they could move two, to more stable markets. Of course the NHLPA doesn't want that. They just want to rape the large market teams, to keep the Florida's, Nashville's, Phoenix's, etc. afloat. It's a horrible business model.

They should get out of the south.

Phoenix, Florida, for certain move them.

#85 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,482 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

They should get out of the south.

Phoenix, Florida, for certain move them.

Look how many northern and Canadian teams have gone under or moved in the past. Last year Florida had better attendance than 8 other teams, many in the north. Tampa Bay outdrew the Rangers, so I don't see it as a north/south issue.

Maybe the real answer would be to lower the salary cap, to spread out the good players, though out the league. Also a little less greed from the owners and players could make tickets more reasonable and draw more to the games.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#86 OFFLINE   tenpins

tenpins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

Not sure I agree with your assumption of Canadian teams failing. In economic terms the Canadian $ was equal to about .65 cents on the dollar. As a kid in the late '60s it was great to ask for change of a dollar, I received $1.25 back. Never quite understood this as a 10 year old. Teams like Minnesota & Winnipeg had greedy owners who sold the teams for big bucks. In Colorado's case, I think we stole the franchise from Quebec City.

#87 OFFLINE   tenpins

tenpins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

Lower the Salary cap? IMHO it's the Owners who can't get out of their own way. Craig Leipold (Minn) pleads financial hardship then signs Suter & Parise both for 13 yrs @ $98 Mil each. In the owners original proposal they proposed a 5 year max contract, since then a handful of new contracts have been signed for 6 and 7 years. So confusing the owners are.
To compare and contrast the proposed 2012/ 2013 cap is $70.2/ $54.2 Million and 2011/2012 cap was $64.3/ $48.3 Million. To think in 2006/ 2007 the cap was $50.3 Million. I believe that both sides have benefited from the support of the fans and finally a TV deal where the NHL actually gets paid decent dollars. Again if both sides don't come to an agreement, the proposed cap of 2012/ 2013 will probably come in lower and Craig Leipold will claim hardship as his 2 signee's will equal 50% of his new payroll. Justice, I guess. I'd assume that more than a few teams will be over the new cap limit. Detroit actually might be sitting pretty under a new cap.
One item that hasn’t been discussed is realignment. Winnipeg needs to be moved from the Southeast Division and Detroit or an unknown team moved to the East. The owners & fans in the West would hate to see the Wings moved. Detroit has great support in the west and owners like Stan Kroenke love the revenue $’s that flows in. The Phoenix situation is disappointing (for the fans/ players) that the NHL hasn’t made a decision. This will also impact realignment.
BTW your Employer has decided to reduce your salary by 15%. Not sure how that makes one feel. Personally, it would suck for me. Most of us live paycheck to paycheck and our spending rises to the level of income.
One final thought, ticket prices, cable/ satellite bills, concession prices and the price of gas will never be lowered if a lower salary cap is adopted. Just my 2 cents, sorry for the rant.

#88 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,347 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

Last year Florida had better attendance than 8 other teams, many in the north. Tampa Bay outdrew the Rangers, so I don't see it as a north/south issue.

Tampa did outdraw total home attendance over the Rangers by a very small 277 people. But to make it a better comparison, the Ranger's had 100% capacity all season while Tampa only averaged 96.2% of their capacity.

Link: http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

#89 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,347 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

One item that hasn’t been discussed is realignment. Winnipeg needs to be moved from the Southeast Division and Detroit or an unknown team moved to the East. The owners & fans in the West would hate to see the Wings moved. Detroit has great support in the west and owners like Stan Kroenke love the revenue $’s that flows in. The Phoenix situation is disappointing (for the fans/ players) that the NHL hasn’t made a decision. This will also impact realignment.

Realignment hasn't been part of the CBA in the past. I don't think the League wants it to be either. Since the schedule for this season is already done (and lets hope we get a season), I don't think realignment will be discussed until after the CBA is signed.

Detroit has typically been a good draw when on the road. As a Wings fan living in FL, I certainly want them to move east. And I hate the argument it is good for the teams west to host Detroit; it isn't Detroit's job to fill those seats.

Phoenix: I agree with the league that you do everything you can not to move a team. It is bad for the fans, the city, the players and the league. But I think we've passed the point of "doing everything." Find a suitable owner and city with fan support and move the team.

#90 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

the contract they matched for weber might hurt them.

agreed i was surprised to see them match the offer sheet tbh
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#91 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

Look how many northern and Canadian teams have gone under or moved in the past. Last year Florida had better attendance than 8 other teams, many in the north. Tampa Bay outdrew the Rangers, so I don't see it as a north/south issue.

Maybe the real answer would be to lower the salary cap, to spread out the good players, though out the league. Also a little less greed from the owners and players could make tickets more reasonable and draw more to the games.

In Florida's case, it's what they charge to get into a game. You can get 4 tickets, 4 Hot Dogs, 4 Soda's, for $99.00. You can't even get into a game, in Toronto, for one person, at $99.00. The issue is income, not ticket sales. The top 10 markets cannot sustain having much higher ticket prices, so they can be outbid by the bottom teams for talent, using revenue sharing money.

#92 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:16 AM

Leipold read the tea leaves and figured that he could stock his team, for the next 10 year, with high end talent before the next CBA was signed. Philadelphia also tried to steal Weber, the same way. Once these players were signed to long term contracts, the next CBA would not matter. Since the CBA is renegotiated about every 6 years, they'd be guaranteed having these players under contract for the next two CBA sessions.

#93 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:19 AM

agreed i was surprised to see them match the offer sheet tbh

If they hadn't matched the offer sheet, they might as well have moved the franchise. It would have sent an awful message to the fanbase, after losing Suter.

#94 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

NHL board of governers meet today. no offical meeting is announced, but NHL PA does have people in NYC, ready and waiting for the NHL to say lets talk.

so will see what the NHL is doing.

Personally I think they needed the whole weekend, to digest the counter proposal that the feher presented on friday.

I think will have more talks this week.

I just hope they can announce a deal next week.

Even if it goes past sept 15, camp opens sept 21.

#95 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

i'm ok with missing a couple weeks ok camp as most guys are already skating but i hope a deal gets done soon

#96 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:41 AM

the 2 Fehr's met with gary and daly this AM privately, afterwards the 1pm meeting has been cancelled.

Not sure why, or what is going to be scheduled rest of week.

Now guys, I will be traveling to Pittsburgh today, so I won't be on till tomorrow sometime in between 5-8pm.

#97 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

ok, guys thanks to the magical world called WIFI on my amtrak train, I have about 6 hrs to kill before i get to pittsburgh, an amazingly im getting a full connection wirelessly on a train the times have changed. im looking at farms, cows, and green outside the window and im able to chat online. lol

So I will try and get some news on the NHL labor crap.

Gary bettman is scheduled to hold a vote with the board of governers sept 13, the vote for a lockout by the owners is expected. Unless by the powers of greyskull we get a miracle a lockout is looking like a reality.

#98 OFFLINE   tenpins

tenpins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

No recent news from either side. I checked out TSN.ca and Sportsnet.ca and they had nothing new. Even the local hockey scribes have been quiet as well. The only news is that the AV's named Gabriel Landeskog team captain, Strange. Last year Joe Sacco didn't name a captain until after the first month. I hope that the NHLPA stays strong unlike 2004/ 2005.

#99 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

tenn, I have some news, sitting on an amtrak train for 6 hrs, i been farting around online, trying to find something, i have it.

Recess is over. NHL and NHLPA talks resume behind the scenes, reports Peter Adler edmonton journal

http://blogs.edmonto....s-peter-adler/

The Post has learned the NHL proposals feature a “management rights” clause under which the league would assume unilateral power over issues including realignment, scheduling and playoff format. ny post reports

http://www.nypost.co....SreD3qc9g7GazJ

so will see, i also read some where they rev splits are now at 50 a piece, will see how true that is.

in my honest opnion i think the players are going to cave in.

#100 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,347 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

i also read some where they rev splits are now at 50 a piece, will see how true that is.

50-50 of what? It shouldn't be 50-50 of all revenues.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...