Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

No. People are voicing their opinion on this matter ("Drop em!"), and their reasoning behind it ("I don't watch em!"). The motivation is to show support of DirecTV's argument that they need to fight to keep costs down.

You're free to disagree and weigh in on the matter, but it is not fair to call people who don't share your viewpoint "stupid and selfish".

+1, I mean we can all address this issue civilly and without bashing one another. Personally, this dispute has been the most controversial because of the fact that their was no notice on this, and it kind of reminds me of Dish's dispute in 2004 with these guys. With that said, lets see what happens between now and Midnight tonight et, or pt as I dont know when will they pull the plug.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

I think it's midnight local time.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#183 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

We're already getting TCM in a few days.

I should have mention that I get the Spanish package and don't get those two plus a few others. Espndeportes would be nice in HD.

#184 OFFLINE   RawisTheGameHhH

RawisTheGameHhH

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

smart move Viacom; take your programming away from 20 million people; that sounds like a great plan
CHOICE XTRA™ + HD DVR — Locals Included; HD-HMC - HR34-100; HD - H21-100

#185 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 945 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

… That puts Directv, Dish, Uverse,Fios, and everyone else in the position of either raising rates above 5% each year just to stay even with programming costs, don't raise the rates that high and continue to shrink margins ( resulting in less infrastructure expansion, new technologies, etc) or getting the programmers to charge a reasonable rate.

Sounds like more cable-television providers, and not just DirecTV, need to take this tactic of saying a big "*F* you" to the companies and their programming owners. Viacom, and other owners, need the providers.

I'm with DirecTV on this. Perhaps how AMC Networks and Dish Network dealt with each other is the way to go between Viacom and DirecTV. Those channels will be back on Dish Network just as the ones will be (whether or not a loss, for even a sec, will be had) on DirecTV.

#186 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

No. People are voicing their opinion on this matter ("Drop em!"), and their reasoning behind it ("I don't watch em!"). The motivation is to show support of DirecTV's argument that they need to fight to keep costs down.

You're free to disagree and weigh in on the matter, but it is not fair to call people who don't share your viewpoint "stupid and selfish".

It's one thing to say that since you don't watch a channel, you would be okay if the channel(s) was/were dropped, but just because one person doesn't care about a channel doesn't mean that others don't, so I don't think it's a very fair thing to say that they SHOULD drop them.

There are multiple channels on DirecTV that I don't like, and be just fine if they were dropped, but I realize others like those channels, and they may not like mine.

For instance, my #1 want in HD is CW HD-DNS, and I'd personally accept the possibility of DirecTV dropping the ESPNs in HD in order to add them, but I suspect most people would have a problem with that! ;)

Great American Country is under Scripps, which owns Home & Garden Television, DIY Network, Food Network, Cooking Channel, and Travel Channel.

I know... :)

~Alan

Edited by Alan Gordon, 10 July 2012 - 11:43 AM.
changed my wording...

#187 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

I am in the same boat as Alan. I mean I dont watch the BS shopping channels, and some other channels, but I understand the others that watch them. We all have different tastes, and we need to realize that one persons interests are not the same as others. With my viewing habits, I probably watch a few channels religiously, and some I watch on a casual yet frequent basis.

#188 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

smart move Viacom; take your programming away from 20 million people; that sounds like a great plan

Viacom knows that they will be suffering a lot less than DirecTv will. There is no way DirecTv can keep the Nick channels off for very long before customers start switching to other providers.

#189 OFFLINE   lola521

lola521

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

I picked this choice of Directtv because it includes all the channels I watch. (Except the Tennis Channel.) As for the rest of the channels, they come with the package along with Viacom channels all the many many info commercial stations and the many many religious stations I don't watch. There's a lot about the TV lineups I can complain about other then this one.

It never seems to get better. I had cable for many years and they kept raising the bill and dropping channels to a tier I didn't have and finally I switched to satellite.

It won't take much more for me to drop TV altogether. I already pay too much for it as it is. I really don't want to do it anymore.

Edited by lola521, 10 July 2012 - 11:50 AM.

#190 OFFLINE   jeffmacguy

jeffmacguy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

Don't forget, V'com makes more money on its advertising than its carriage fees. Their advertisers will be quite unhappy if they lose all those eyeballs. Seems to me like V has more to lose than d*... just saying.
_______
HR24 (New 7/28/2010) - Sony 46" LCD / HDMI
HR21-700 - Visio 26" LCD / HDMI
HR21-100 - Insignia 32" LCD / HDMI
HR21-700 - SONY 32" CRT / component (boat anchor)
HR20-100 - (NO TV, but available through MRV)
DirecTivo Phillips DSR7000
HR10-250
Slimline 5
(2) Zinwell-8 Multiswitch

#191 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

lola - streaming over the internet is your friend.

DirecTV - did you hire Charlie?

Wow - this never would have happened in the Hughes days....

#192 OFFLINE   Snickering Hound

Snickering Hound

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

Viacom knows that they will be suffering a lot less than DirecTv will. There is no way DirecTv can keep the Nick channels off for very long before customers start switching to other providers.

Actually that's part of Viacom's problem.

Your kid really likes Sponge Bob? He can fire up the Roku or the Blu-ray player and watch it over Netflix. He probably already is.

Comedy Centrals Colbert and Daily Show are available on Hulu. Of course much of their audience already knows that and has switched over and watches it when it's convenient for them.

#193 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

Don't forget, V'com makes more money on its advertising than its carriage fees. Their advertisers will be quite unhappy if they lose all those eyeballs. Seems to me like V has more to lose than d*... just saying.

Totally agree.

#194 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

Posted Image
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#195 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

Wow - this never would have happened in the Hughes days....

Possibly not... I remember when I started to switch to Dish Network years ago... partially because ABC Family was threatening to pull.

However, the main reason is because the channel groups have been more aggressive with price increases compared to the way they were back then.

~Alan

#196 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 855 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

I am also sick on people who say drop them as I don't watch them. Well how about we drop the programming YOU watch and see how YOU like it!

Why does buy bill have to be so high, to pay the CRAP that you watch? Same with you paying for the CRAP that I watch, LOL!

THIS is why everyone needs to pull their head out of their backsides and offer Ala carte programming. I know people that HATE sports, but they bills are much higher to support ESPN and what not.

So, please keep yoru "drop them as I don't care" crap to yourself!

And lease don't go there with the parenting stuff and what not about TV. How many of you here have NO LIFE and watch nothing BUT TV with 10 DVRs and what not? Please don't be judgmental.

#197 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 855 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

I should have mention that I get the Spanish package and don't get those two plus a few others. Espndeportes would be nice in HD.

That should ONLY be on a Spanish package, not regular programming, sorry! :mad:

#198 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 855 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

The sad part is, the programing will stay and our bill WILL go up.

#199 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 779 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

I have a feeling all these dirty laundry contract negotiations and programming blackouts are going to come back to haunt the programmers. Some politico looking to get his name in the press is bound to take this on and bring a la carte to fruition one and for all...
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#200 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

I am not so sure. Customers might start switching, but not for a few weeks..... They will have to find out what their options are, whether there is a contract to buy out, and many customers rather wait a few weeks to see how things play out.

I'd be surprised if they lost more than a few thousand customers before August 1st. If there still is no contract by then, chances are a lot higher customers will switch.

Although many customers don't understand the carriage disputes, I do believe they do understand that every carrier has them. Fleeing to another carrier isn't going to make that go away. TWC had the same dispute with Viacom in January 2010 and took the channels away for about a week. (or the other way around, the feeds were pulled). Other carriers will have these kinds of disputes as well.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...