Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#2041 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

It comes down to them getting to a deal they can both live with. I don't think any programing they have would put enough pressure on Directv or Viacom to get it done by itself.

Thanks for the quick responses....

So what will be the thing that tips the scales to get this deal done ?

Is there a big event coming up or something of the sorts ?

Similar to the UFC on VS. that helped get that deal done.

Maybe if Dana White had the UFC on MTV or if teen mom was sponsored by them...we could get this done :)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2042 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for the quick responses....

So what will be the thing that tips the scales to get this deal done ?

Is there a big event coming up or something of the sorts ?

Similar to the UFC on VS. that helped get that deal done.

Maybe if Dana White had the UFC on MTV or if teen mom was sponsored by them...we could get this done :)

You think the UFC got the vs deal done? I think it may have had more to do with vs. Not being able to afford to not have all those viewers for the NHL playoffs. I seriously doubt UFC had anything at all to do with it.

The key is viacom has nothing like that at all to put more pressure on the situation.

#2043 OFFLINE   richzilla

richzilla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

You think the UFC got the vs deal done? I think it may have had more to do with vs. Not being able to afford to not have all those viewers for the NHL playoffs. I seriously doubt UFC had anything at all to do with it.

The key is viacom has nothing like that at all to put more pressure on the situation.

That could be with the NHL...the timing with the UFC deal being signed is what made me reference that situation....you do get my key point....what is that high profile programming that will put pressure on to get the deal done....The birth of Snookie's baby is months away ;)

#2044 OFFLINE   onan38

onan38

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Well i finally called in today.Directv has a voice prompt when you call the 1-800 number about the viacom dispute. I called to make sure i was out of commitment.Got a very nice csr. She thanked me for being a customer since 1994 and told me my commitment was up 4 years ago after my HD upgrade. I did not mention the viacom dispute and she went into detail on what was going on and that directv would get it resolved a quickly as possible and sent me a email on the Directv promise website,and told me about the free encore channels. I have the choice extra classic package she gave me $10 off for 12 months,free HD for 12 months and $10 more off my bill for 2 months. She thanked me for being a long term Directv customer and to call anytime i had any issues or questions. People can bash Directv but for me they are the best service/company that i deal with.

#2045 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

That could be with the NHL...the timing with the UFC deal being signed is what made me reference that situation....you do get my key point....what is that high profile programming that will put pressure on to get the deal done....The birth of Snookie's baby is months away ;)

Dam Right it was the NHL I was thinking about makeing video where I get the phone book and start calling sports bars asking if they had VS.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#2046 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

Dam Right it was the NHL I was thinking about makeing video where I get the phone book and start calling sports bars asking if they had VS.

I'm betting UFC ratings are higher than the lowly NHL. Did anyone even watch the Cup finals? http://sports.yahoo....48694--nhl.html
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#2047 OFFLINE   willis3

willis3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

I have thought about calling but haven't, I already have a couple of discounts and
free HD for 2 years.. but I am getting alot of questions from the wife about when Snooki will be back lol... should I call?

#2048 OFFLINE   onan38

onan38

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

I have thought about calling but haven't, I already have a couple of discounts and
free HD for 2 years.. but I am getting alot of questions from the wife about when Snooki will be back lol... should I call?

I would call the worse they can say is no.

#2049 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

Still not missing TVLand. My wife neither, explained the situation and she - who watches TVLand more than I do - said to "eff" viacom, she has plenty of other channels to watch. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2050 OFFLINE   mystro

mystro

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

I'll have to check exactly how it's measuring..this Panasonic has quite a detailed menu regarding picture quality plus considering what we payed for the set we had a Professional calibration tech come in..it actually was quite accurate out of the box but did need some adjusting considering our room plus I guess the tech needed to justify his bill and his fancy equipment :) There was certainly a better picture coming in from the direct broadcast OTA as measured.

#2051 OFFLINE   Bradman

Bradman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

I know you understand, but some folks think broadcast is uncompressed.

Also, many stations are compressing(lowering bit-rate) the HD signal to add sub-channels.
The CBS affiliate in my area even down-rezzes the network feed to 720p to accommodate their CW broadcast.

#2052 OFFLINE   DLP2008

DLP2008

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

I watch Comedy central from time to time, but this isn't going to kill me nor the other people that watch the 5 receivers in my house. Really impressed with the way D is handling it's customer concerns with it though. I called this week for something totally unrelated and mentioned it to the csr as an aside. Even though I'm still in commitment for another year and they totally didn't have to, I was given $10 off x 12mo and my hbo will be free on this bill. Kudos to D*.

#2053 OFFLINE   richall01

richall01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

They say it's a "all or nothing deal" is it that DirecTV does not want to carry all the Viacom channels or does Viacom want to add G4 back into the deal?
Don't forget WHO owns Viacom; Comcast. Is there way to get back at DirecTV for not getting Sunday Ticket. Make DirecTV Sub's pay for there lost?

#2054 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

They say it's a "all or nothing deal" is it that DirecTV does not want to carry all the Viacom channels or does Viacom want to add G4 back into the deal?
Don't forget WHO owns Viacom; Comcast. Is there way to get back at DirecTV for not getting Sunday Ticket. Make DirecTV Sub's pay for there lost?

Viacom wants EPIX on directv
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#2055 OFFLINE   richzilla

richzilla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

I would love to have G4 back...I miss that channel.

#2056 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

Nothing you said is inheritently wrong... I fully agree with the first and third paragraph, but I have to ask, how are you coming by the second sentence in your third paragraph?

Are you counting local channels?!
Non-English channels?
Obscure shopping channels?

I ask, because doing a glance of DirecTV's program guide set to ALL channels, I counted around 30 channels without HD feeds, and that was including the religious channels (some of whom I discounted due to HD feeds)... and that may even be on the high end after omitting the three categories mentioned above due to the fact that some of the religious channels may have an HD feed that I'm not aware of.

~Alan

I don't like using Wiki because I find it very bias, but that's all I have at my fingertips right now. Yes, I was talking all channels, but that does include "mainstream" as well as others. At this point, still more SD channels than HD. Eventually there will be a HD equivalent for all the SD and beyond that some day there will be no more SD channels, but for now there are still more SD channels available than HD. See below

http://en.wikipedia....vision_networks
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#2057 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,186 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

Heard the Viacom commercial several times today. Those buggers don't give up, and the commercial is so misleading, promoting that everyone should call DirecTV to demand their channels back. Yeah right, why don't you add to the commercial what the $ increase will be, and provide some objective justification for the increase related to ratings per channel and not based on the past. Think I've heard the commercial a dozen times so far.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#2058 OFFLINE   compaddict

compaddict

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

How about Viacom charge extra and lose the commercials? It bugs me that I pay DTV for watching TV riddled with commercials. Remember when AMC was commercial free? I hate paying twice!
I really do love the access to cable channels and don't mind the commercials. That being said, I think Viacom should pay DTV for the transport and distribution of their content.

#2059 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,970 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

I don't like using Wiki because I find it very bias, but that's all I have at my fingertips right now. Yes, I was talking all channels, but that does include "mainstream" as well as others. At this point, still more SD channels than HD. Eventually there will be a HD equivalent for all the SD and beyond that some day there will be no more SD channels, but for now there are still more SD channels available than HD. See below

http://en.wikipedia....vision_networks

Yeah... the other problem with Wiki is that it's CAN be full of errors. I noticed several channels that said there was NO HD feed, yet there is.

I noticed that several of the religious channels that I counted last night due to not knowing their status has HD listed on that page. Of course, given the other errors on that page, goodness knows whether or not the information is correct...

I personally do not feel that a bunch of obscure channels' SD-only status is really all that indicative of a negative HD status. In fact, I think it's incredibly optimistic that so many of the recognizable names have HD feeds, and so small of an amount still exists without one. I credit DirecTV for being a big part of spurring this on.

That being said, I felt you stated your point well enough with the rest of your statements in your earlier post that it doesn't really matter.

~Alan

#2060 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,970 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

I think you're getting Viacom mixed up with Universal...

~Alan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...