Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#3026 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,674 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

S you think everyone's bills should go up another $2 a month for those channels?

They belong in a premium tier so those that want them can have them and pay for them themselves, IMHO. Makes no sense to force these channels at the rates they want on everyone. Overall rates are high enough without needing to pile on.

Ibooks.. mispoke a bit. On Dish it is either available for $7/month as an a la carte` pick, or included in the $10/month BB@Home which is similar to the HD Extra Pack that D* has.

And that is the way that D* should offer it imo.

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#3027 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

Its not a premium on Dish its part of the HD package. Should be the same with Directv.

Epix if it is added needs to be in the hd extra pak like hdnet movies.
Mike
Directv user since 96 :)

#3028 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Epix is a plus channel for me, mostly movies, HBO is a epic fail ever since they started doing so many series.

I stopped watching AMC years ago when they started putting 2 tons of commercials in 1 ton rated movie.

I have no interest in paying for HBO, Cinemax, SHowtime, or Starz and have not done so for many years.

Epix also shows allot more variety. They show many older movies that you dont see on the other movie channels. I use to like the channel when i was on Dish and they seemed to show more variety. Its no extra on Dish i think Directv should not charge extra either.

#3029 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

Ibooks.. mispoke a bit. On Dish it is either available for $7/month as an a la carte` pick, or included in the $10/month BB@Home which is similar to the HD Extra Pack that D* has.

And that is the way that D* should offer it imo.

Must have changed because we got EPIX and didnt get some extra pack.

#3030 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,687 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

Epix also shows allot more variety. They show many older movies that you dont see on the other movie channels. I use to like the channel when i was on Dish and they seemed to show more variety. Its no extra on Dish i think Directv should not charge extra either.

So DIRECTV should not charge for something that Viacom wants $500 million a year for? Really?

I can see maybe putting it in the extra pack, but then I'd expect the extra pack price to increase a little bit. It wouldn't need to increase a lot, because simply having more people sub to the pack would help pay for the channel, but I'd bet a 1 to 3 dollar increase if they did that.

I doubt its coming though, I think viacom wants a flat rate for it and DIRECTV is never going to go that route.

#3031 OFFLINE   Odys

Odys

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

Epix is a plus channel for me, mostly movies, HBO is a epic fail ever since they started doing so many series.

I stopped watching AMC years ago when they started putting 2 tons of commercials in 1 ton rated movie.

I have no interest in paying for HBO, Cinemax, SHowtime, or Starz and have not done so for many years.

Then you are missing some of the best tv in many years. Movies can be found anywhere, the series on HBO, Showtime and AMC are far more worth the price than mere movies.

#3032 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

You must be talking about Epix Drive In or Epix 3. Epix and Epix 2 pretty much concentrate on more recent blockbusters (last 20 years with a big emphasis on newer movies). I have them on Fios. No assurance that even if DirecTV adds Epix they will do all four.

However, as I said before, Epix has a huge library of older movies (lots of them B flicks) available streaming or On Demand. Pretty sure that is what they populate Drive In with.

I still say it is more like HBO/Cinemax than like TCM or Fox Movie Channel, which are truly basic.

Epix is a premium on fios as well. $10 a month or in their top level package. Just like HBO, etc., on DirecTV.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3033 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,433 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Must have changed because we got EPIX and didnt get some extra pack.

Currently one EPIX channel is available in AT250 (Epix Drive-In) and the others are available either a la carte for $7 or as part of Blockbuster@Home for $10 (the better deal being Blockbuster@Home as the extra $3 provides several other channels).

It is a decent package. If DirecTV decides to offer the channels it could provide a boost to their HD Extra package or as an a la carte. It takes up the same space on the satellites regardless of how many people can view it, so providing it it as many subscribers as possible at a decent price makes sense.

#3034 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

So DIRECTV should not charge for something that Viacom wants $500 million a year for? Really?

I can see maybe putting it in the extra pack, but then I'd expect the extra pack price to increase a little bit. It wouldn't need to increase a lot, because simply having more people sub to the pack would help pay for the channel, but I'd bet a 1 to 3 dollar increase if they did that.

I doubt its coming though, I think viacom wants a flat rate for it and DIRECTV is never going to go that route.

A flat rate is what Viacom asked for. In the final deal, they could have made it an option with a flat rate or an option with a per sub rate. Nothing has reported that yet.

As for the HD pack increasing, just stop offering repeated 3 month free access and that will take care of it. ;)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#3035 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

My point was I'm, not paying for series when I can get ones that I like on the networks, USA, SciFi, TNT etc. As it is between the free movie channels, and non pay channel serials there is more content than I have time to watch. Why Pay more.

Whee Warehouse 13 next Monday!
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#3036 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

My point was I'm, not paying for series when I can get ones that I like on the networks, USA, SciFi, TNT etc. As it is between the free movie channels, and non pay channel serials there is more content than I have time to watch. Why Pay more.

Because some of the series blow away other ones and they are all commercial free.

Game of Thrones is one of the best endeavors ever taken on by an American TV channel, for example. If it were on USA, SyFy, TNT, etc., it would be butchered and probably not even done (heck, it wasn't).

Besides, you do not get TNT, USA, Syfy, etc., free. You pay for them. Same with Warehouse 13 (a pretty damned good show but still not in the class of GoT).

Now if you said "ABC, NBC, Fox, CBS, PBS, CW, etc., you have an argument about paying.

#3037 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

maybe epix is not the channel im thinking of then. There were 2 that were allot of classic movies 90s and before. Not B movies but blockbusters from 70s and 80s and such. I thought it was epix but maybe im wrong.

#3038 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

maybe epix is not the channel im thinking of then. There were 2 that were allot of classic movies 90s and before. Not B movies but blockbusters from 70s and 80s and such. I thought it was epix but maybe im wrong.

Was it in HD? Could have been one of the Plex channels.

Directv is supposed to get them soon.

#3039 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

thats it. It was retroplex. I did watch epix too but it was retro plex im thinking of that showed lots of movies from 80s and 70s and such.
That would be great to see on Directv

#3040 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

Didn't miss Viacom one bit!

#3041 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

Didn't miss Viacom one bit!

That's cause it is not gone. :)

#3042 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

thats it. It was retroplex. I did watch epix too but it was retro plex im thinking of that showed lots of movies from 80s and 70s and such.
That would be great to see on Directv

They announced an agreement with starz for it but when and if any hd, we don't know.

Glad we could figure that out.

#3043 OFFLINE   actah

actah

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

Now we can move on to a bigger problem...
How to get DirectTV feed delivered over the internet?(or to Canadian wannabe subscribers)

#3044 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

The horse is dead. Stop with the beating.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#3045 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,556 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Now we can move on to a bigger problem...
How to get DirectTV feed delivered over the internet?(or to Canadian wannabe subscribers)

<moderator mode> Talk to the Canadian government (they are the ones limiting service. Anything else is not to be discussed here at DBStalk.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3046 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

Where's my Farnsworth! :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3047 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

I took the 'delivered over the internet' comment to mean streaming a la Viacom channels (for example). Do you mean that's not to be talked about in another thread where it would probably belong?

#3048 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

I took the 'delivered over the internet' comment to mean streaming a la Viacom channels (for example). Do you mean that's not to be talked about in another thread where it would probably belong?

Generally speaking, streaming content is geographically restricted due to the fact that a TV station has to pay the producer of the program a certain amount of money to be allowed to broadcast the program, who in turn restricts the deal to the United States only, because they can sell the same program to a Canadian broadcaster for a good deal of money as well.

If the broadcaster would allow streaming to Canada, there is less incentive for a Canadian broadcaster to actually buy the TV series in question. It becomes even more interesting when we include Europe in the equation. Many American produced TV shows are popular in a variety of European countries. They sell the same series to a TV station in e.g. 20 countries for good money, and again if streaming was allowed, they may not have sold the series.

In essence, without explicit consent of the producer of the material, it isn't allowed to stream the content to outside the country's border. The same is true for Canadian programming. For instance, the only way I can see "Canadian Pickers" (obviously the Canadian variant of the American one) is to download it through illegal channels, as the producer of this content does not stream it, nor sell it to an American television station.

The grey area in all this is the border area, where CABLE systems often carry some Canadian TV stations. (I know this to be the case in Michigan for instance, e.g. in Port Huron)

In any case since the viewing of a geographically protected broadcast can only be done via illegal ways, it has been the decision of this board not to allow discussion on how this can be achieved. (And understandably so, they are a respected board and don't want to get in trouble with neither DBS carriers nor TV stations).

In short, the discussion on how to receive American streamed television or DBS type services OUTSIDE the United States, should be discussed on boards that are.... lets say more affiliated with the darker side of the internet. Streaming within the United States, from Viacom to U.S. subscribers, can be discussed freely.

However, this thread is specifically about the now ended dispute. As such, it might be better to start your own thread about this.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3049 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

<moderator mode> Talk to the Canadian government (they are the ones limiting service. Anything else is not to be discussed here at DBStalk.

Peace,
Tom

Actually, I believe it is the producers of content that decide this.... as they want to sell their wares to Canadian television stations as well, they explicitly demand that streaming websites are geographically limited.

For the same reason BBC iPlayer is not available outside of the UK for instance, although they have opened up special versions for Ireland, Australia, and some other places I think. It's all about producers who hold the rights, not so much about governments doing anything about it.

I am the Stig.

#3050 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,556 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

Actually, I believe it is the producers of content that decide this.... as they want to sell their wares to Canadian television stations as well, they explicitly demand that streaming websites are geographically limited.

For the same reason BBC iPlayer is not available outside of the UK for instance, although they have opened up special versions for Ireland, Australia, and some other places I think. It's all about producers who hold the rights, not so much about governments doing anything about it.

While you are correct that content producers "could" have a say--the Canadian FCC prohibits wholesale importing of US (and likely others) content into Canada. So the content producers don't have a direct choice in the matter.

Thus, the FCC has reciprocated and prohibits wholesale importing of Canadian channels into the US.

While I understand the theory of Canada wanting to keep Canada as Canada and avoid being the 51st state of the US, I'm not sure this approach is really useful.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...