Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#2581 OFFLINE   darkpowrjd

darkpowrjd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

So good, now that we know you know nothing about me:

A.) it's not all moral value, I block all kids channels period because my sons attitude changes drastically when let watch them. Thus, we dont let him watch tv much. FYI, I have all the religion channels blocked too. So go figure that one out.
B.) I brought it up because the person I was responding to said Directv was holding us all hostage. I made a point to say no they weren't holding me anything and why.
C.) I don't care about it being a rough world. I know it is. But that still doesn't give you any right to act like the TV police of my house. It is my job to raise my child as I see fit. Not yours. If I had Fuse or if MTV played videos of current music that he would hear on the radio I wouldn't have them blocked. But I do not want the reality shows on for him to freely flip through channels and watch as he pleases if I or his mom happen to be another room doing something. Like in my case, earning my degree taking a class or working.
D.) Do I think the complaints over that SB Halftime show were over the top? Yes. But did parents and all have a right to voice a complaint it happened without being dismissed as self righteous people sheltering their children from the "real world?" yes, they did. What I to this day don't get about that is why the FCC fined local affiliates for something broadcasted by the networks. What? They shouldn't air the Suoerbowl for fear something could happen? Yeah that'd go over real well.

A) I wonder why you even HAVE DirecTV, then, if you block that many channels. I would simply not watch them. Every time I watch Fox News, I look around for the closest knife (can't handle that many blatant lies reported as "news"), but it's not blocked at all. Maybe you're confusing blocking with not putting them on a favorites list. There are guide options that have it only list your favorite channels in the guide. The others aren't blocked (you can still watch them if you punch in the right channel number), but they just don't appear unless you tell DTV to list them.

B) And you could've made that point without saying that you blocked them? You could've just said that you didn't watch them. You made that addition there, so you brought the code blocking into this, assuming, like I said above, you're not confusing "blocking" with "not favoriting".

C) I say rough world because look what you have going on right now. Kids being exposed to news about homophobia/sexism/racism of the worst kind, people acting like idiots in town halls to their politicians bitching about things they know nothing about, hospitality being a thing of the complete past, stuff like that. Hell, I've seen parents with kid hand in hand while spewing every single profanity they could dish out. Now, are you going to block news shows? Do you have Fox News and MSNBC blocked? I don't know. As I've said before, that's your right to do that if you want. However, don't think for a second that I, someone who have as much of a right as you do to respond to anything you, I, or anyone else posts on this site, won't respond to if it something is excessive. It doesn't mean I'm trying to parent your kid or anything LIKE that. It's my right to respond to something you post, and if you post something like that, especially if it has something to do with what we're talking about (which it did), then you should expect someone to possibly respond to the stuff you post, pro or con. Again, no reason to get all defensive about this. I'm not doing anything that you shouldn't have expected anyone to do. I just pointed out that your blocking that many things was excessive and you went on a long rant about how I somehow tried to parent your kid.

D) They've had six or so years to get over it already. The PTC STILL cites that incident as their sticking point, and the press STILL cites it as the FCC's reason to be all up in faces. Why is it that after six years, we're STILL not over that?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2582 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,658 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

Oh, well, it's a try......

Money for Nothing~~~ Dire Straits

<I want my MTV> Chorus and intro for 1:45

Now look at them yo-yo's that's the way you do it
You play the guitar on the MTV
That ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Money for nothin' and chicks for free
Now that ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Lemme tell ya them guys ain't dumb
Maybe get a blister on your little finger
Maybe get a blister on your thumb

We gotta install microwave ovens
Custom kitchen deliveries
We gotta move these refrigerators
We gotta move these color TV's

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#2583 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

I like FNC, it's a valued Directv channel :)
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#2584 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Here's why I don't believe them. What purpose would Directv have to NOT work out a deal with them? It is in the company's best interest to get them back on with a fair deal. There's something in this they are not telling us. Whether its they'd move a significant number of their channels to a higher package if they'd carry EPIX. But not taking it they want all their stuff to remain where it was. It just really sounds like something is missing here.

I'm wondering if Direct is maybe using this smaller fish to sharpen their claws for some looming "higher-demand" networks. They are probably gathering some pretty good data on how far they can go and which "talking-points" play well and which ones not so well in this new social media battleground.

Ever seen a video of a killer whale "practicing" on a seal?
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#2585 OFFLINE   Taltizer

Taltizer

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Atleast Viacom's trying to make a deal and post updates wheres Directv at?. In hiding.

#2586 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,293 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

Atleast Viacom's trying to make a deal and post updates wheres Directv at?. In hiding.

Hahahahaha.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2587 OFFLINE   darkpowrjd

darkpowrjd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

I like FNC, it's a valued Directv channel :)

I like MSNBC for the same reason. Agreed to disagree with political views here.

I'm wondering if Direct is maybe using this smaller fish to sharpen their claws for some looming "higher-demand" networks. They are probably gathering some pretty good data on how far they can go and which "talking-points" play well and which ones not so well in this new social media battleground.

Ever seen a video of a killer whale "practicing" on a seal?

Not quite sure if it's a smart move for either side. Runs the risk of people getting tired of the back and forth and just not bother with either company. This is why they need to just shut up and get some deal done.

#2588 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,658 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

Aside from being inaccurate and unfair, I agree with you.:nono:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#2589 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

A) I wonder why you even HAVE DirecTV, then, if you block that many channels. I would simply not watch them. Every time I watch Fox News, I look around for the closest knife (can't handle that many blatant lies reported as "news"), but it's not blocked at all. Maybe you're confusing blocking with not putting them on a favorites list. There are guide options that have it only list your favorite channels in the guide. The others aren't blocked (you can still watch them if you punch in the right channel number), but they just don't appear unless you tell DTV to list them.

B) And you could've made that point without saying that you blocked them? You could've just said that you didn't watch them. You made that addition there, so you brought the code blocking into this, assuming, like I said above, you're not confusing "blocking" with "not favoriting".

C) I say rough world because look what you have going on right now. Kids being exposed to news about homophobia/sexism/racism of the worst kind, people acting like idiots in town halls to their politicians bitching about things they know nothing about, hospitality being a thing of the complete past, stuff like that. Hell, I've seen parents with kid hand in hand while spewing every single profanity they could dish out. Now, are you going to block news shows? Do you have Fox News and MSNBC blocked? I don't know. As I've said before, that's your right to do that if you want. However, don't think for a second that I, someone who have as much of a right as you do to respond to anything you, I, or anyone else posts on this site, won't respond to if it something is excessive. It doesn't mean I'm trying to parent your kid or anything LIKE that. It's my right to respond to something you post, and if you post something like that, especially if it has something to do with what we're talking about (which it did), then you should expect someone to possibly respond to the stuff you post, pro or con. Again, no reason to get all defensive about this. I'm not doing anything that you shouldn't have expected anyone to do. I just pointed out that your blocking that many things was excessive and you went on a long rant about how I somehow tried to parent your kid.

D) They've had six or so years to get over it already. The PTC STILL cites that incident as their sticking point, and the press STILL cites it as the FCC's reason to be all up in faces. Why is it that after six years, we're STILL not over that?

A.) sports, I sub to MLB, NHL, and NFL ST. The Internet versions aren't nearly as good plus the local teams are blacked out. Again, if you choose not to watch it and keep them unblocked that's fine. You don't see me here trying to show you up do you? Most people don't block them. I don't care. I do. Yes I'll get defensive because it's absolutely none of your concern. "So, you'd be happy paying the same amount without those channels" would have been a question to ask. That is relevant to this discussion. Not telling me what I do in my home is excessive when it has absolutely none of your business whatsoever.

B.) whatever, they are blocked by parental control. I know what it is. I am not someone who needs to have a judge declare me incapable of handling any new technology and make it illegal for me to do so like my wifes parents.

C.) I don't engage in news media bashing. Thats for the ideological blowhards to do. During the times MSNBC and FNC do news coverage, which is during the day when everyones at work I've seen by and large the same stories reported the same way (excluding all the obligatory party cheerleaders takes on the issues) as I do on CBS which is who I usually watch for news. I do not have FNC or MSNBC blocked. Although if I could block certain shows I'd block the prime time lineup of both. I am also not engaging in your social and political conversation. What you refer to as one thing may not be how I or many others do. It doesn't matter what you think is excessive. You don't pay my bill and no I shouldn't expect it. What I watch or don't watch in my house is my business, not yours.

D.) Isn't Brent Bozelle part of the PTC or was part of them? He's one of the ideologues I can't stand. He claims to report media bias then when he puts this info on his website he totally spins it to make everyone look liberal. I can watch the same story he does and see it as an honest question, to him it's veiled agenda.

#2590 OFFLINE   s.g925

s.g925

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

This EPIX battle PROVES thast DIRECTV does not give a dang about what the CUSTOMER WANTS.

You have out of touch executives telling us what channels we will get, they never send out electronic surveys and/or paper ones with ALL NATIONAL CHANNELS they do not carry and ask the CUSTOMER (WHO PAYS THEIR SALARY) WHAT CHANNELS WE WANT and then add some of them yearly.

I belive if you are A NATIONWIDE provider of video service you MUST CARRY EVERY AVAILABLE NATIONAL CABLE CHANNEL.

#2591 OFFLINE   noahproblem

noahproblem

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

While DIRECTV is registered in the US (Delaware of all places),

Delaware is actually one of (if not the) most popular states in which to incorporate (or , in D*'s case, to organize as an LLC) - a lot of corporations and LLCs incorporate and organize there.

#2592 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

What else besides cost would you expect them to bargain over? Jellybeans?
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#2593 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,293 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

This EPIX battle PROVES thast DIRECTV does not give a dang about what the CUSTOMER WANTS.

You have out of touch executives telling us what channels we will get, they never send out electronic surveys and/or paper ones with ALL NATIONAL CHANNELS they do not carry and ask the CUSTOMER (WHO PAYS THEIR SALARY) WHAT CHANNELS WE WANT and then add some of them yearly.

I belive if you are A NATIONWIDE provider of video service you MUST CARRY EVERY AVAILABLE NATIONAL CABLE CHANNEL.

Friend, let me introduce you to C Band cause that is the only place you can get it all.

Now let the grown ups continue their chat.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#2594 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

What else besides cost would you expect them to bargain over? Jellybeans?

Package (tier) placement, HD, Music channels not currently carried which actually play music... Just to name a few. I am sure DirecTv is resisting adding any more basic channels, and I am sure Viacom is pushing to have all their channels carried.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#2595 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,293 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Package (tier) placement, HD, Music channels not currently carried which actually play music... Just to name a few. I am sure DirecTv is resisting adding any more basic channels, and I am sure Viacom is pushing to have all their channels carried.

Maybe but nothing I've seen or heard actually says that. So far, I've only heard restoration of the existing channels plus Epix. My information may not be complete. So take it for what it is.

Of course, tier placement is money.

#2596 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

Yeah, right... :rolleyes:

Nice first post. Welcome to the forum. Do you always walk into a room shouting?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#2597 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

Calm down buddy. Remember when your stepping in someones house, you dont piss on their floor.

#2598 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

You have to notice that they didn't say "We agreed to pay Viacom what they asked for", they said "more than fair". I'm sure that is how they see it.

I imagine Viacom responded to the lower offer with "OK, we'll take you lower increase offer but in return, you have to carry EPIX".

Taking what either side says as "truth" is just plain silly.

Thy said they agreed to all material terms which included a more than fair increase. That's another way of saying - we agreed to oh them why they asked for for basic channels r in their revised proposal.

#2599 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

spent 30 min on hold tonight, called to cancel, will try tomorrow.
damn sure isn't worth waiting on phone to do...same time not worth paying for d* when channels I want are not there.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#2600 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

It could backfire but I think it was healthy that they called Viacom on the recent lies.

Viacom seems to react to some of those stuff. They put shows back on line after being called on it. Maybe this is what they understand?

But also, it is not "about Epix" except in how Epix is to be paid for and presented. They did have a disagreement on fees. The bulk has now been settled.

I agree. They didn't say we won't buy epix. They said they don't want to pay 500mm for it. Last haggling point is epix fees.

spam firewall