Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#2601 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

I don't think that's completely accurate. Based on their own FB post, the EPIX was part of the proposal. They say that "accepted the proposal for those channels" but in the same breath, say that "however, part of the proposal was EPIX".

So I think they are really exagerating their "acceptance".

They didn't say they wouldn't carry epix either. They said they don't want to pay half a bil for it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2602 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

spent 30 min on hold tonight, called to cancel, will try tomorrow.
damn sure isn't worth waiting on phone to do...same time not worth paying for d* when channels I want are not there.

Maybe you should hold on a day or two more unless you like portraying your avatar.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2603 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Package (tier) placement, HD, Music channels not currently carried which actually play music... Just to name a few. I am sure DirecTv is resisting adding any more basic channels, and I am sure Viacom is pushing to have all their channels carried.

Maybe but nothing I've seen or heard actually says that. So far, I've only heard restoration of the existing channels plus Epix. My information may not be complete. So take it for what it is.

Of course, tier placement is money.

I'd be shocked if the whole kielbasa wasn't on the table at some point in negotiations.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#2604 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

Thy said they agreed to all material terms which included a more than fair increase. That's another way of saying - we agreed to oh them why they asked for for basic channels r in their revised proposal.

They "agreed" to the part of the proposal that would restore the dropped channels. They did not agree to the part about EPIX, so they never actually agreed on anything.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#2605 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

Maybe you should hold on a day or two more unless you like portraying your avatar.

been a week.
the only reason I got d* to begin with was for comedy central.
so I don't feel like like paying, however feel free to paypal me if you want me to continue paying for it.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#2606 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

They didn't say they wouldn't carry epix either. They said they don't want to pay half a bil for it.

I think Viacom is trying to get a flat fee no matter how many subs. Directv wants them to be a premium. Either is fine but then the money becomes the sticking point. Half a bil for a basic channel is a lot of cash. High fees that go into a separate bucket (a la HBO) is a different animal.

It sounds to me that neither company wants to gamble on the long term sales of Epix.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#2607 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

spent 30 min on hold tonight, called to cancel, will try tomorrow.
damn sure isn't worth waiting on phone to do...same time not worth paying for d* when channels I want are not there.

Suspend your account. You will stop paying for DirecTV.

Otherwise, wouldn't you feel foolish if you canceled tomorrow and they settled on Friday?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#2608 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

been a week.
the only reason I got d* to begin with was for comedy central.
so I don't feel like like paying, however feel free to paypal me if you want me to continue paying for it.

I'm just telling you that the end may be in sight. You can change providers all you want. That is your choice. But who says the one you go to doesn't get into a pissing match with Viacom next month while they are back with directv.

Or what Carl said while I was typing. :)

#2609 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

Suspend your account. You will stop paying for DirecTV.

Otherwise, wouldn't you feel foolish if you canceled tomorrow and they settled on Friday?

been considering it long before this anyways.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#2610 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

been considering it long before this anyways.

Okay then. I wish you well.

#2611 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

While DIRECTV is registered in the US (Delaware of all places), a goodly chunk of its revenues (and some of its employees) are homed in Central and South America.

Whats so unusual about incorporating in Delaware? I think it would be more unusual to not be.

#2612 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

I'm just telling you that the end may be in sight. You can change providers all you want. That is your choice. But who says the one you go to doesn't get into a pissing match with Viacom next month while they are back with directv.

this is going to drag on at least another 7-10 days.
and if another provider does not meet my needs I dump them too.
I hold no loyalty to a company, I owe them nothing.

if I get through to them we'll see, I will be sending some equipment back no matter what.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#2613 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

This EPIX battle PROVES thast DIRECTV does not give a dang about what the CUSTOMER WANTS.

You have out of touch executives telling us what channels we will get, they never send out electronic surveys and/or paper ones with ALL NATIONAL CHANNELS they do not carry and ask the CUSTOMER (WHO PAYS THEIR SALARY) WHAT CHANNELS WE WANT and then add some of them yearly.

I belive if you are A NATIONWIDE provider of video service you MUST CARRY EVERY AVAILABLE NATIONAL CABLE CHANNEL.

Thats wonderful you believe that. Go start your own service and do so and see how that works out for you. And your few customers based on the size of that initial bill will I'm sure love their yearly price hikes as well since you would, you know, carry every channel nationwide.

Actually while I do not know this for sure I would suspect Directv would add it if it's a premium service and there'd be no issue. Again, nothing concrete on that, just assuming they would do so.

#2614 OFFLINE   darkpowrjd

darkpowrjd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

A.) sports, I sub to MLB, NHL, and NFL ST. The Internet versions aren't nearly as good plus the local teams are blacked out. Again, if you choose not to watch it and keep them unblocked that's fine. You don't see me here trying to show you up do you? Most people don't block them. I don't care. I do. Yes I'll get defensive because it's absolutely none of your concern. "So, you'd be happy paying the same amount without those channels" would have been a question to ask. That is relevant to this discussion. Not telling me what I do in my home is excessive when it has absolutely none of your business whatsoever.

B.) whatever, they are blocked by parental control. I know what it is. I am not someone who needs to have a judge declare me incapable of handling any new technology and make it illegal for me to do so like my wifes parents.

C.) I don't engage in news media bashing. Thats for the ideological blowhards to do. During the times MSNBC and FNC do news coverage, which is during the day when everyones at work I've seen by and large the same stories reported the same way (excluding all the obligatory party cheerleaders takes on the issues) as I do on CBS which is who I usually watch for news. I do not have FNC or MSNBC blocked. Although if I could block certain shows I'd block the prime time lineup of both. I am also not engaging in your social and political conversation. What you refer to as one thing may not be how I or many others do. It doesn't matter what you think is excessive. You don't pay my bill and no I shouldn't expect it. What I watch or don't watch in my house is my business, not yours.

D.) Isn't Brent Bozelle part of the PTC or was part of them? He's one of the ideologues I can't stand. He claims to report media bias then when he puts this info on his website he totally spins it to make everyone look liberal. I can watch the same story he does and see it as an honest question, to him it's veiled agenda.

I'm not going to try to separate any of this because, in all of this, you're, again, assuming I said anything about how to parent your kid in the first damn place, which is not, I repeat, NOT, what I'm doing here. I'm saying that I thought it was a bit excessive, but I, again, STRESS THIS, that it is within your right to block whatever the hell you want. If you want to block the entire channel lineup for whatever reason you may have, then do so (I might laugh my ass off if you did that, but more power to you).

But don't come on here, post that you've DONE so, then don't expect anyone to come on here, SEE IT, and not respond to it regardless of what they had to say. I'm not sure what in this you're refusing to grasp, but this is a simple concept. I hope you're reading your own posts and realize how utterly ridiculous you sound accusing me of doing something I'm not doing. If I wanted to really tell you how to parent your kid, then I'd find out where you lived and come over there myself and change what you blocked and didn't. But I'm not. You turned "it's excessive" and "I'd find worse things in the rough world" to me putting a gun to your head telling you to change completely without the chance to defend your decisions. I'm a little lost of where you're connecting those two dots.

In other words, you're taking what I'm saying WAY too personally. If I insulted you in any way, then I apologize for the way it came out, but I'm not going to sit here and apologize for the opinion that I thought so many blocked channels are an excessive use of the option, and it's something that I myself would not do because I meant it. You can take it however you want, but bottom line is that I brought it up because you did. Nothing more.

#2615 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

This EPIX battle PROVES thast DIRECTV does not give a dang about what the CUSTOMER WANTS.

You have out of touch executives telling us what channels we will get, they never send out electronic surveys and/or paper ones with ALL NATIONAL CHANNELS they do not carry and ask the CUSTOMER (WHO PAYS THEIR SALARY) WHAT CHANNELS WE WANT and then add some of them yearly.

I belive if you are A NATIONWIDE provider of video service you MUST CARRY EVERY AVAILABLE NATIONAL CABLE CHANNEL.

Thy actually have done surveys. It's been brought up here, that our most wanted channel was BBC America, but that it wasn't the most requested on customer surveys. We are a skewed demographic.

A provider is under no obligation to carry everything. Even for a must carry local channel, there are enough exceptions and requirements that it isn't as required as it sounds.

If DirecTV were actually legally required to carry a channel, Viacom could give any price and DirecTV would have to pay it, and have Mike White get on Jon Stewart's desk singing "You're the Tops."

#2616 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

They "agreed" to the part of the proposal that would restore the dropped channels. They did not agree to the part about EPIX, so they never actually agreed on anything.

I understand what you are saying, we're arguing semantics. . I'm just saying it can also interpreted another way. That they aren't refusing epix just refusing it at $500mm.

#2617 OFFLINE   s.g925

s.g925

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

Yeah, right... :rolleyes:

Nice first post. Welcome to the forum. Do you always walk into a room shouting?

Wrong their Genius, ALL CAPS on ALL words is shouting, ALL CAPS on specific words is emphasizing.

#2618 OFFLINE   s.g925

s.g925

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

Calm down buddy. Remember when your stepping in someones house, you dont piss on their floor.

1st off this is not DirectV forum and 2nd it is only fanboys forum and 3rd there are more CUSTOMERS than the few and exectutives Directv listens too, We pay for the service, therefore IT IS OUR HOUSE not DirecTV's

#2619 OFFLINE   atlrep

atlrep

• Registered
  • 9 posts

I never heard of epix until a few weeks ago when someone called asking about it. That's 1 out of several thousand and it was only for a ufc fight. It's hard enough pushing premiums ppl have heard of. I don't forsee Viacom putting the marketing money neccesary out to result in sales and dtv isn't gonna pay for a channel Noone is asking for.

#2620 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

I think Viacom is trying to get a flat fee no matter how many subs. Directv wants them to be a premium. Either is fine but then the money becomes the sticking point. Half a bil for a basic channel is a lot of cash. High fees that go into a separate bucket (a la HBO) is a different animal.

It sounds to me that neither company wants to gamble on the long term sales of Epix.

That's how I'm seeing it too. But at $500m over 5 years. They need less than 600k subscribers @ 15.99/month. With a 20M install base I have to believe they can grab that. Hell they probably have 600k premier customers alone who would get it.

spam firewall