Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#2621 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

this is going to drag on at least another 7-10 days.
and if another provider does not meet my needs I dump them too.
I hold no loyalty to a company, I owe them nothing.

if I get through to them we'll see, I will be sending some equipment back no matter what.

It think we are nearly there too. Small history lesson - Battle of New Orleans (the biggest battle of the war if 1812) was fought AFTER peace had already been agreed too.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2622 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Delaware is actually one of (if not the) most popular states in which to incorporate (or , in D*'s case, to organize as an LLC) - a lot of corporations and LLCs incorporate and organize there.

It is also the most desired state to file chapter 11 in.....

#2623 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Thy actually have done surveys. It's been brought up here, that our most wanted channel was BBC America, but that it wasn't the most requested on customer surveys. We are a skewed demographic.

I so wish there was a statement released that said "We know our customers don't want BBC America in HD." I'd be LOLing so hard as this site had a collective meltdown.

#2624 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,074 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

That's how I'm seeing it too. But at $500m over 5 years. They need less than 600k subscribers @ 15.99/month. With a 20M install base I have to believe they can grab that. Hell they probably have 600k premier customers alone who would get it.

But if they put it in premier (which includes everything but the big sports packages and the sort of free hd pack) they get nothing from it.

They probably don't want to be in a position to offer it as premium on top of premier.

Anyway, I don't think they believe in the channel or it would be on. It started out pretty bad but it really ha improved with movies like the Marvel heroes movies at its center. If it continues to improve, it could be a good investment. If it does not, maybe not.

But there is also digital rights for Epix. Epix has a huge library of movies available to stream. A lot of it is absolute dreck (non cult cult movies from the 60s and 50s) but it is rather extensive.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2625 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,074 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

I so wish there was a statement released that said "We know our customers don't want BBC America in HD." I'd be LOLing so hard as this site had a collective meltdown.

Don't they pretty much say that every month it is not on. I don't expect it soon. Hope I am wrong but...
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#2626 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 980 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

Wrong their Genius, ALL CAPS on ALL words is shouting, ALL CAPS on specific words is emphasizing.

Irony?
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#2627 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,074 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

1st off this is not DirectV forum and 2nd it is only fanboys forum and 3rd there are more CUSTOMERS than the few and exectutives Directv listens too, We pay for the service, therefore IT IS OUR HOUSE not DirecTV's

Actually, it isn't yours or mine. We are guests here.

#2628 OFFLINE   darkpowrjd

darkpowrjd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

I never heard of epix until a few weeks ago when someone called asking about it. That's 1 out of several thousand and it was only for a ufc fight. It's hard enough pushing premiums ppl have heard of. I don't forsee Viacom putting the marketing money neccesary out to result in sales and dtv isn't gonna pay for a channel Noone is asking for.

No one asked for it because no one heard of the channel.

How can you ask for something when you don't know it's there? It's sort of like what Dish did with AMC to try to say that no one noticed that it moved before they dropped the channel. They DID noticed it, but because they weren't made aware of where it went to, they couldn't find it, and Dish knew that people will get tired of looking (or get all lazy) and not look for it at all. Then Dish has the final reason they need to drop the channel (and there is speculation that the situation between Dish and AMC is about Dish having an ax to grind about something personal).

Not completely the same, but until recently, for instance, I've never even HEARD of Epix, and I'm pretty curious myself. If I knew about it sooner, I could make a judgment one way or another. But since I didn't, and I'm just now hearing about the channel, I'm now wondering what it is, and what's stopping DTV from adding it if it's not just about the money. The latter is a question I think DTV should be obligated to answer for us, because according to Viacom, they have refused any way to get the Epix thing to work.

I'm thinking there's something ELSE about Epix that DTV doesn't like other than the price tag. If so, then shame on you, DTV, for making this another G4 thing.

#2629 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

Don't they pretty much say that every month it is not on. I don't expect it soon. Hope I am wrong but...

Sort of. People are often suggesting it will be the next one added. If they actually came out and pretty much said that they would never add it, there would be a lot of "interesting" posts.

#2630 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

I understand what you are saying, we're arguing semantics. . I'm just saying it can also interpreted another way. That they aren't refusing epix just refusing it at $500mm.

Oh, sure, after all we're talking about a carefully worded PR post on facebook, not any kind of legal contract waiting for signatures.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#2631 OFFLINE   dxtrfn80

dxtrfn80

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

I guess people will miss the new SpongeBob episodes on Saturday night. First new SpongeBob episodes since the blackout. Fred 3 Movie the following Saturday. (first full day of the Olympics and the Michael Phelps Show) 1 Big Time Rush episode missed and 2 more the next 2 Mondays. No iCarly's or Victorious' missed yet and none scheduled for the next few weeks. iCarly is ending in November.

At least Nick will repeat these shows over and over again.

#2632 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

It's hard enough pushing premiums ppl have heard of.

Exactly the reason I suspect Comcast is dropping several of the more specialized premiums in their channel realignment posted a page or so back.

The landscape is changing. More and more people are getting their movies from streaming and PPV, and get their "old" movies (not currently being streamed) from the free movie channels. Since you dont need the specialized premiums to get the "acclaimed" series' shown by each network, Comcast chose to drop them for more channels they can attract customers with.

Our system is already this way. Many basic channels DirecTv doesnt carry, and those movies...they are probably available on VOD.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#2633 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,074 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

How can you ask for something when you don't know it's there? It's sort of like what Dish did with AMC to try to say that no one noticed that it moved before they dropped the channel. They DID noticed it, but because they weren't made aware of where it went to, they couldn't find it, and Dish knew that people will get tired of looking (or get all lazy) and not look for it at all. Then Dish has the final reason they need to drop the channel (and there is speculation that the situation between Dish and AMC is about Dish having an ax to grind about something personal).

Not completely the same, but until recently, for instance, I've never even HEARD of Epix, and I'm pretty curious myself. If I knew about it sooner, I could make a judgment one way or another. But since I didn't, and I'm just now hearing about the channel, I'm now wondering what it is, and what's stopping DTV from adding it if it's not just about the money. The latter is a question I think DTV should be obligated to answer for us, because according to Viacom, they have refused any way to get the Epix thing to work.

I'm thinking there's something ELSE about Epix that DTV doesn't like other than the price tag. If so, then shame on you, DTV, for making this another G4 thing.

Not sure what you are reading but Epix is probably coming to directv. Viacom did not say directv refused it. They said they made three offers but left the details in the dust. The one without Epix probably had an outrageous increase, etc.

#2634 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,074 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

Sort of. People are often suggesting it will be the next one added. If they actually came out and pretty much said that they would never add it, there would be a lot of "interesting" posts.

I will say it is probably not coming soon. My data may be out of date but it is/was true.

#2635 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,074 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Exactly the reason I suspect Comcast is dropping several of the more specialized premiums in their channel realignment posted a page or so back.

The landscape is changing. More and more people are getting their movies from streaming and PPV, and get their "old" movies (not currently being streamed) from the free movie channels. Since you dont need the specialized premiums to get the "acclaimed" series' shown by each network, Comcast chose to drop them for more channels they can attract customers with.

Our system is already this way. Many basic channels DirecTv doesnt carry, and those movies...they are probably available on VOD.

Somehow I doubt that all the movies that are on the 24 premiums comcast is dropping are on VOD.

I think it is a mistake personally. What does Comcast now have? Fewest premiums. Bad out of town sports. They are going to build their business on 1970s cable principles except in HD?

#2636 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

I will say it is probably not coming soon. My data may be out of date but it is/was true.

No, I'm talking about the "what's next" opinions people post in the anticipation threads, not anything official from any source.

#2637 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

maybe it's like EPIX as got to be in choice and there is no choice about it if you want Viacom.

also can be about HD slots they want MTV2 HD, Logo HD, TV Land HD, TeenNick HD, Centric HD, EPIX HD, EPIX 2 HD, EPIX 3 HD, EPIX Drive-In HD.

Also there are SD Dtv does not have like MTV Hits, MTV Jams, mtvU
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#2638 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

Somehow I doubt that all the movies that are on the 24 premiums comcast is dropping are on VOD.

I think it is a mistake personally. What does Comcast now have? Fewest premiums. Bad out of town sports. They are going to build their business on 1970s cable principles except in HD?

Showtime 2 as non movie stuff as well.

likely it's away to F* over cable card uses want HBO VOD rent our box at $8-$9 /mo.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#2639 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Per everybodys favorite whipping boy Swanni on twitter, Directv has removed the mention of Viacom on the on screen guide.

#2640 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

Per everybodys favorite whipping boy Swanni on twitter, Directv has removed the mention of Viacom on the on screen guide.

They have. Mix channels sporadically work as well.

spam firewall