Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#2661 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

this is going to drag on at least another 7-10 days.
and if another provider does not meet my needs I dump them too.
I hold no loyalty to a company, I owe them nothing.

if I get through to them we'll see, I will be sending some equipment back no matter what.

I'll take a wager on that. 48 hours, tops. Tipping point today. Deal was basically done, Viacom went public with the Epix stuff, DTV called BS. Viacom is getting absolutely obliterated in the ratings right now. OBLITERATED and it is costing them dearly.

48 hours.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2662 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

Interesting article. Once people learn this is just endless game with these distributors, they will learn to stop changing companies just to get channels.

Reuters article how people are for once starting to blame the content providers, not the distributors.

PAY TV Distributors no longer seen as the bad guys

http://in.reuters.co...E8IIEFD20120718

#2663 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

This EPIX battle PROVES thast DIRECTV does not give a dang about what the CUSTOMER WANTS.

You have out of touch executives telling us what channels we will get, they never send out electronic surveys and/or paper ones with ALL NATIONAL CHANNELS they do not carry and ask the CUSTOMER (WHO PAYS THEIR SALARY) WHAT CHANNELS WE WANT and then add some of them yearly.

I belive if you are A NATIONWIDE provider of video service you MUST CARRY EVERY AVAILABLE NATIONAL CABLE CHANNEL.

You wouldn't stay in business very long. Don't you think there is a reason that NO NATIONAL PROVIDER HAS IT ALL? Cost my friend. Cost. If there was a true a la carte model, you would be right, but their isn't because the content providers don't want that.

#2664 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

The little ones are already forgetting viacom.

http://www.nytimes.c...rogramming.html

Oh the joy of competition. Of course we have a bunch of media conglomorates in America.

#2665 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

I suspect the offer they wanted to get was the one with the extra incentives in it they cheapened the price of what we have, but in return they needed to pay 500 million for Epix. I suspect every deal without that station had the current stations costing a lot more than that offer did.

That is what I am hearing, though DTV isn't denying that either. DTV agreed in principle to a rate (you can assume below that 30% number) to put the 17 channels (not 26 - Viacom BS there) back on the air. Viacom wants Epix included because very few majors carry Epix and they need the distribution.

Most likely Viacom wants a flat fee, like $100 million per year for a total of $500 million. The problem with those deals for distributors is the onus of the risk is entirely on them. A per subscriber model is much more preferable because then they only pay if people give a darn about the content. In a flat fee situation, DTV writes a check whether anyone buys it or not. That's not good business, though those deals do happen from time to time. I'd bet if Viacom got that number down to $25 million per year DTV would do it, but that is just a guess.

#2666 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

I wish I was as optimistic as you are, but I think it will probably be next week at the earliest. I think, if Viacom is telling anything true, the talks probably did break down so to speak. I had seen one article in the last 24 hours state they went back to the drawing board. I think certain issues are keeping them far enough apart that Viacom isn't desperate enough to make a deal yet. If they were, it would have happened by now and not more arguing back and fourth about who is telling the truth.

I'll take a wager on that. 48 hours, tops. Tipping point today. Deal was basically done, Viacom went public with the Epix stuff, DTV called BS. Viacom is getting absolutely obliterated in the ratings right now. OBLITERATED and it is costing them dearly.

48 hours.

#2667 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

It sounds more like the setup that they have probably for NFL Sunday Ticket, which is why in the past it had cost those who purchased the package so much to get it.

DTV pays HBO based on the number of subs that sign up for HBO. The risk, therefore, is shared by HBO and DTV. So to answer your question, you aren't right or close. :D

What Viacom is likely asking for is a big check for $500 million and then tells DTV to do whatever they want with the programming, but all the risk is on DTV to find a way to get the money back. DTV would be stupid to sign up for that, then again Viacom is the same outfit saying 17 = 26 so I wouldn't put anything past them.

#2668 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

I could live with that, but I think would kind of be fun to try out for a trial run to see what it was like.

No more Viacom channels ever again.

#2669 OFFLINE   The_Geyser

The_Geyser

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

I don't miss these channels at all!

#2670 OFFLINE   darkpowrjd

darkpowrjd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

48 hours.

I don't know. Viacom DID get DTV to admit that Epix was the issue (it was DTV that brought Epix up first, not Viacom), one way or another. Now everyone on the Facebook page is commenting about the channel itself as it relates to this ordeal. I think people are going to be willing to at least have a trial of the channel to see if it's actually worth it. I would agree that DTV should at least let us see the channel to and let us make up our own minds on it. It wouldn't be practical or fair for them to refuse to add it period without seeing it first. Not understanding how people are saying "we don't want it" without seeing what it is first or what they show on it. I'm hoping, again, that this doesn't become DTV saying "we don't care for the channel, so don't include it or we don't deal" like they did with G4.

Honestly, too, I'm beginning to think this might've not been the first time Viacom has tried to get Epix up there with no avail. If so, and this keeps going, I'm going to think that public opinion might go in Viacom's favor. Though the greedy ******* thing will stay, people could see DTV's stubbornness to add a channel even when people might be willing to let them come to a middle ground compromise about the price of it work against them. Remember that others might see that DTV is unwilling to compromise and is too hard nosed, and might not even bother to negotiate with them. DTV is in a tough boat, too, if this keeps going.

I wouldn't mind having Spike TV back so I can see how "improved" TNA is, myself. And I'm willing to try out Epix if they do add it. I don't want DTV to force us to either have the channel or to go without. Do the ala carte thing like the Sony Movie Channel package thing (don't know the name of it) where, if you want it, you can pay an extra, say, $5/month to have it, and if you don't want to, then you don't have to and can pay the same thing you do now. Viacom gets paid what they want, but then DTV can turn around and make a profit out of those that want Epix (assuming they can). Everyone wins.

But yeah, I think momentum switch to Viacom a bit because now the Epix thing is out in the open, enough for people to be curious about it.

#2671 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

I suspect the offer they wanted to get was the one with the extra incentives in it they cheapened the price of what we have, but in return they needed to pay 500 million for Epix. I suspect every deal without that station had the current stations costing a lot more than that offer did.

I am sure.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2672 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

As long as they are not losing a lot of subscribers, the momentum will be in Directv's hands. Advertisers and ratings on Viacom's channels are putting pressure on them to get it done faster than the dropping of Directv is by a few.

I don't know. Viacom DID get DTV to admit that Epix was the issue (it was DTV that brought Epix up first, not Viacom), one way or another. Now everyone on the Facebook page is commenting about the channel itself as it relates to this ordeal. I think people are going to be willing to at least have a trial of the channel to see if it's actually worth it. I would agree that DTV should at least let us see the channel to and let us make up our own minds on it. It wouldn't be practical or fair for them to refuse to add it period without seeing it first. Not understanding how people are saying "we don't want it" without seeing what it is first or what they show on it. I'm hoping, again, that this doesn't become DTV saying "we don't care for the channel, so don't include it or we don't deal" like they did with G4.

Honestly, too, I'm beginning to think this might've not been the first time Viacom has tried to get Epix up there with no avail. If so, and this keeps going, I'm going to think that public opinion might go in Viacom's favor. Though the greedy ******* thing will stay, people could see DTV's stubbornness to add a channel even when people might be willing to let them come to a middle ground compromise about the price of it work against them. Remember that others might see that DTV is unwilling to compromise and is too hard nosed, and might not even bother to negotiate with them. DTV is in a tough boat, too, if this keeps going.

I wouldn't mind having Spike TV back so I can see how "improved" TNA is, myself. And I'm willing to try out Epix if they do add it. I don't want DTV to force us to either have the channel or to go without. Do the ala carte thing like the Sony Movie Channel package thing (don't know the name of it) where, if you want it, you can pay an extra, say, $5/month to have it, and if you don't want to, then you don't have to and can pay the same thing you do now. Viacom gets paid what they want, but then DTV can turn around and make a profit out of those that want Epix (assuming they can). Everyone wins.

But yeah, I think momentum switch to Viacom a bit because now the Epix thing is out in the open, enough for people to be curious about it.

#2673 OFFLINE   onan38

onan38

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

Epix schedule.

http://www.epixhd.co...annel/schedule/

#2674 OFFLINE   darkpowrjd

darkpowrjd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

As long as they are not losing a lot of subscribers, the momentum will be in Directv's hands. Advertisers and ratings on Viacom's channels are putting pressure on them to get it done faster than the dropping of Directv is by a few.

I was only thinking about public opinion, and what they might want DTV to do (stand firm or give Viacom what they want to have).

#2675 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

I think the only thing public opinion is doing is helping keep the topic important to both companies, where as versus kind of got left alone for awhile tell comcast and directv decided to deal again.

I was only thinking about public opinion, and what they might want DTV to do (stand firm or give Viacom what they want to have).

#2676 OFFLINE   darkpowrjd

darkpowrjd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Epix schedule.

http://www.epixhd.co...annel/schedule/

There's a few ones I'm interested in. I know of one of those movies, Super 8, that was filmed in a city right near where I live, and was one I was wanting to see. Noticed that they are airing a Lewis Black special, as well (I remember the name as he was a regular guest on Keith Olbermann's shows while KO was still employed).

Not TOO bad of showings. Might be a bit on the older side, but still...

#2677 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

That is why it kind of reminds me of a Cinemax/ Encore type of channel because of the older content mixed with some newer content.

There's a few ones I'm interested in. I know of one of those movies, Super 8, that was filmed in a city right near where I live, and was one I was wanting to see. Noticed that they are airing a Lewis Black special, as well (I remember the name as he was a regular guest on Keith Olbermann's shows while KO was still employed).

Not TOO bad of showings. Might be a bit on the older side, but still...

#2678 OFFLINE   darkpowrjd

darkpowrjd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

I think the only thing public opinion is doing is helping keep the topic important to both companies, where as versus kind of got left alone for awhile tell comcast and directv decided to deal again.

It might be that way with G4, as well, especially now that Comcast is joined with NBC, and even moreso that NBC, which also broadcasts the Olympics, could have leverage to get something going to get G4 back on DirecTV (they could have something on G4 about it, or put some events on the channel like they do with USA or MSNBC, and Telemundo, to the point where DTV has no choice but to consider readding it).

In a way, I think if Viacom owned some TV stations, they would have a LOT more leverage, and DTV could have a much more sense of urgency because local TV would be affected (like if Viacom and CBS would still be joined, stations like KDKA would be gone from DTV, a MAJOR blow). Them not having that luxury hurts them.

#2679 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

Very true, but for G4 to return they need new content besides the gamer material they have.

It might be that way with G4, as well, especially now that Comcast is joined with NBC, and even moreso that NBC, which also broadcasts the Olympics, could have leverage to get something going to get G4 back on DirecTV (they could have something on G4 about it, or put some events on the channel like they do with USA or MSNBC, and Telemundo, to the point where DTV has no choice but to consider readding it).

In a way, I think if Viacom owned some TV stations, they would have a LOT more leverage, and DTV could have a much more sense of urgency because local TV would be affected (like if Viacom and CBS would still be joined, stations like KDKA would be gone from DTV, a MAJOR blow). Them not having that luxury hurts them.

#2680 OFFLINE   darkpowrjd

darkpowrjd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

That is why it kind of reminds me of a Cinemax/ Encore type of channel because of the older content mixed with some newer content.

It wouldn't be something I'd spend my whole day tracking or watching, but I wouldn't mind having it. Has some good stuff on it. It does seem like what would happen if Starz and Encore combined (used those two because Starz and Encore are owned by the same people, I think). It does have some DAMN recent stuff that I didn't think premium channels would have yet.

spam firewall