Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#2701 OFFLINE   Ken K

Ken K

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

I don't post a lot here, am not a lawyer, did not sleep at HI Express last night, but I have been with DTV since 1994 and do somewhat support what they are doing for us.

It seems to me that the introduction of the Epix issue into these negotiations could possibly be considered a violation of Antitrust Laws. Part of the Antitrust Laws deal with the illegal act of 'Tying'. Maybe someone with a legal background could weigh in on this.

I can't post a URL because I don't have 5 posts here, but one could use the Google and search for ANTITRUST + TYING to learn more if interested.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 1994

#2702 OFFLINE   captaink5217

captaink5217

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

If this continues too long, even though I just renewed my 2 yr commitment , I'll suspend the account for 6 months until tax return time and just pay the ETF with my tax return. My 9 yr old is really missing spongebob and she watches winx club too, she keeps saying how she wants cable back. In my area the poconos blue ridge cable is a really good service. DVR isn't as good but they have more channels in hd than d had.
Genie HR34-700
H24-200
C31-700

#2703 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

Sounds like they would carry EPIX in the same way they do other premiums or atleast in the same way they do the HD Extra pack.

Some interesting figures, Viacom are losing $14M a week as a result of the blackout. and that D*'s break-even point is a loss of 1.15million subscribers

http://www.hollywood...at-could-351691

#2704 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

How do I complain and to who? Two weeks without the new Futurama? This sucks. Work it out, stop making the consumer suffer. You know when my unemployment runs out in September, I'm dropping DirecTV as part of my austerity program, and after this, I won't miss them at all.

With all due respect, if I was unemployed, the last concern that I woud have would be going two weeks without Futurama.

#2705 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,533 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

How do I complain and to who? Two weeks without the new Futurama? This sucks. Work it out, stop making the consumer suffer. You know when my unemployment runs out in September, I'm dropping DirecTV as part of my austerity program, and after this, I won't miss them at all.

Viacom - They pulled the plug and they are the ones who want more money.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#2706 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

I think both sides are to blame money wise to some extent, but I agree the blame mainly rests on Viacom trying to force extra channels at a premium price in a non premium to tier on everyone.

Viacom - They pulled the plug and they are the ones who want more money.

#2707 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,533 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

If this continues too long, even though I just renewed my 2 yr commitment , I'll suspend the account for 6 months until tax return time and just pay the ETF with my tax return. My 9 yr old is really missing spongebob and she watches winx club too, she keeps saying how she wants cable back. In my area the poconos blue ridge cable is a really good service. DVR isn't as good but they have more channels in hd than d had.

Be careful - no providers are immune to this sort of thing. Hearst pulled the plug on the ABC affiliate here in Boston (channel 5) last week for Time Warner subs as an example.

It would be cheaper for you to sign up for Netflix DVD's and/or streaming for the next month or two until this is resolved to get your Spongebob fix.

Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

#2708 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

I believe both Amazon and Netflix still have free trials, so it would buy you some time in case they can make a deal soon.

Be careful - no providers are immune to this sort of thing. Hearst pulled the plug on the ABC affiliate here in Boston (channel 5) last week for Time Warner subs as an example.

It would be cheaper for you to sign up for Netflix DVD's and/or streaming for the next month or two until this is resolved to get your Spongebob fix.

#2709 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

When questioned, people who have posted saying they'd drop DirecTV over this decision really has a broader issue. With John in Cal, it's because he's unemployed and was going to drop DirecTV in a couple of months in any case. When I suggested David MacLeod suspend his account rather than drop DirecTV, giving them time to come to a settlement, he responded that he'd "been considering it long before this anyways."

I've yet to see a poster say he's going to drop DirecTV that (1) I believe (these two guys I believe, so that's not an issue here), and (2) is changing content providers truly because of this dispute. Churn is a fact of life with a service provider and I can chalk up these two cases up to churn.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#2710 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

There will be some that cancel/switch, but I think the numbers will be pretty low and offset between Dish and Direct a bit.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#2711 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

The only thing about that is this time they won't be replacing people as quick unless they didn't care about these stations in the first place.

When questioned, people who have posted saying they'd drop DirecTV over this decision really has a broader issue. With John in Cal, it's because he's unemployed and was going to drop DirecTV in a couple of months in any case. When I suggested David MacLeod suspend his account rather than drop DirecTV, giving them time to come to a settlement, he responded that he'd "been considering it long before this anyways."

I've yet to see a poster say he's going to drop DirecTV that (1) I believe (these two guys I believe, so that's not an issue here), and (2) is changing content providers truly because of this dispute. Churn is a fact of life with a service provider and I can chalk up these two cases up to churn.

#2712 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

There will be some that cancel/switch, but I think the numbers will be pretty low and offset between Dish and Direct a bit.

The question I am curious about is how has this affected signing up new customers to DirecTv?

I would think most of us current customers can live without these channels for a while, but I would be surprised if many people are signing up since this happened.

#2713 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

Alternative content providers will be the only winners here. I will get a Roku or an Apple TV if this continues past the Olympics.

As has been pointed out multiple times in this thread, cable companies and Dish Network all have the same situation going on as DirecTV has with Viacom. Other servide providers have fought/are fighting/will be fighting with different content providers other than Viacom but the same situation will come up again for anybody who switches. Instead, folks who turn to ways to get their television that didn't exist half a dozen years ago could experience less of a chance of future interruptions.

To me, this would be DirecTV's biggest reason to settle soon. As Paul Simon once sang, "keep the customer satisfied". Letting him wander could really bite them in the corporate butt down the road.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#2714 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,000 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

You mean another HD channel with no HD on it.

[Re: TCM]

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you please elaborate?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#2715 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

It is because most of the films on that channel, if not all were shot before they changed the aspect ratio to what it is today. As a result the films fill the screen in SD, but not HD.

[Re: TCM]

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you please elaborate?

#2716 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

It has to be affecting them unless they are signing up people who are joining for the sports and not channels that are centered towards teens and children exept TVland that is aimed at an older audience.

The question I am curious about is how has this affected signing up new customers to DirecTv?

I would think most of us current customers can live without these channels for a while, but I would be surprised if many people are signing up since this happened.

#2717 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,000 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

Kinda depends on whether they're AMC fans or not.... as well as possibly being in the majority who don't care for any of the Viacom offerings. But, yes, I am also sure there are some for whom that'd be an absolute barrier. Probably not many, but it'd take a sophisticated interviewing team to figure out how many.

#2718 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,533 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

Alternative content providers will be the only winners here. I will get a Roku or an Apple TV if this continues past the Olympics.

As has been pointed out multiple times in this thread, cable companies and Dish Network all have the same situation going on as DirecTV has with Viacom. Other servide providers have fought/are fighting/will be fighting with different content providers other than Viacom but the same situation will come up again for anybody who switches. Instead, folks who turn to ways to get their television that didn't exist half a dozen years ago could experience less of a chance of future interruptions.

To me, this would be DirecTV's biggest reason to settle soon. As Paul Simon once sang, "keep the customer satisfied". Letting him wander could really bite them in the corporate butt down the road.

I love my Roku!

#2719 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,000 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:11 AM

It is because most of the films on that channel, if not all were shot before they changed the aspect ratio to what it is today. As a result the films fill the screen in SD, but not HD.

Ah, thanks. But aspect ratio doesn't determine HD or not. [And, yes, there usually is a correlation!]

If they were shot on celluloid, they can be telecined into 1920 x 1080 or even higher. If they were true films, they were partially butchered cutting down to 4:3. If properly redone, not only do you get HD resolution, but a closer match to the original aspect ratio, often wider than our current 16:9.

#2720 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

Interesting, I did not know that.

Ah, thanks. But aspect ratio doesn't determine HD or not. [And, yes, there usually is a correlation!]

If they were shot on celluloid, they can be telecined into 1920 x 1080 or even higher. If they were true films, they were partially butchered cutting down to 4:3. If properly redone, not only do you get HD resolution, but a closer match to the original aspect ratio, often wider than our current 16:9.

spam firewall