Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

If these channels are pulled, even for a day, I am dropping Directv. We are a Nick household.

Directv already pissed me off, with the Sunbeam television dispute earlier this year. (We lost our FOX station for a week, during NFL playoffs, and lost Idol.)
I did not appreciate being used as 'leverage'.

I will not stand for it again.

(And also annoyed that Directv has made zero effort to add Disney Junior to the lineup.)

Are you under a contract? You'll be a large fee if you are. Also, whether you go to Dish Network, cable, or some other company, this will come up with them as well. Dish just dropped AMC, WE, some others. Our local cable company just dropped our local ABC. There's no way you're going to be immune from this unless you completely cut the cable and go with OTA/streaming.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#262 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

If these channels are pulled, even for a day, I am dropping Directv. We are a Nick household.

Directv already pissed me off, with the Sunbeam television dispute earlier this year. (We lost our FOX station for a week, during NFL playoffs, and lost Idol.)

(And also annoyed that Directv has made zero effort to add Disney Junior to the lineup.)

You DO realize that each provider goes through this at one time or another? Cable, Dish, Direct, UVerse, it doesn't matter. I wouldn't pretend to tell you what to watch. And I certainly make my own decision on a provider based on what channels are available. But don't think you're getting away from this kind of nonsense by switching providers.

My personal prediction is that if they don't get a deal done by tonight, the channels will be pulled by Viacom and will be off for about a week. That's not enough time to get another provider in, learn the equipment, and get back to where you were with DirecTV.

#263 OFFLINE   rlj1010

rlj1010

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

Are you under a contract? You'll be a large fee if you are. Also, whether you go to Dish Network, cable, or some other company, this will come up with them as well. Dish just dropped AMC, WE, some others. Our local cable company just dropped our local ABC. There's no way you're going to be immune from this unless you completely cut the cable and go with OTA/streaming.

I am not under contract. And I don't mind switching to yet another provider if and when this happens again elsewhere. I want the CONTENT, and don't give a rat's *** who's providing it. While I'd prefer not to, if I have to jump around between providers endlessly, so be it.

#264 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

I am not under contract. And I don't mind switching to yet another provider if and when this happens yet again elsewhere. I want the CONTENT, and don't give a rat's *** who's providing it.

If you switch to Dish, you WILL be under a contract. What will you do next year when they drop one of your favorite channels? Don't know if cable has contracts if your area (Time Warner doesn't here), but more than likely, PQ is going to suffer, and you'll probably have to use their sub par equipment.

#265 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

Do you know who starts these disputes? I'll give you a hint:

Directv isn't pulling channels in order to pay LESS money to the providers than they are already getting. To add to that.. do you think it does Directv any favors to 'leverage' negotiations by dropping channels?

Think about it for just a second..
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#266 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

And the cost doesn't matter at all? If the programmers had they're way, we'd be paying $300-$400 a month BEFORE Directv added in any of their fees. Directv is trying to prevent this from happening.

#267 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

I am not under contract. And I don't mind switching to yet another provider if and when this happens again elsewhere. I want the CONTENT, and don't give a rat's *** who's providing it. While I'd prefer not to, if I have to jump around between providers endlessly, so be it.

My question is what are your providers in your area, and what is their track record in these because as another poster said, " it happens to everyone". Welcome to 2012 tv in which disputes rule, and costs go ape you know what.

#268 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

This thread and the Viacom page at Facebook is full of "I'm leaving Directv if these channels are dropped!" I always laugh at these comments.

First, any TV provider should fight for the lowest possible carriage fees. If I started a cable/satellite/FIOS TV provider today and decided that I would offer every channel available no matter what the cost, what would the monthly charge be to the customer? $500? $1000? Who would pay that?

Second, this is not an isolated Directv issue. No current TV provider is immune to contract disputes and channels being dropped because of them.

If this Viacom/Directv dispute lasts longer than even one week, this might be the final straw and the government might step in. They didn't care about the Directv/Versus dispute or the Dish/MSG dispute, but this drop will include some very popular channels.

#269 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

This thread and the Viacom page at Facebook is full of "I'm leaving Directv if these channels are dropped!" I always laugh at these comments.

First, any TV provider should fight for the lowest possible carriage fees. If I started a cable/satellite/FIOS TV provider today and decided that I would offer every channel available no matter what the cost, what would the monthly charge be to the customer? $500? $1000? Who would pay that?

Second, this is not an isolated Directv issue. No current TV provider is immune to contract disputes and channels being dropped because of them.

If this Viacom/Directv dispute lasts longer than even one week, this might be the final straw and the government might step in. They didn't care about the Directv/Versus dispute or the Dish/MSG dispute, but this drop will include some very popular channels.

If the government gets involved, I am sure the politicians will use it as grand standing as they are bought and paid for by the media conglomorates.

#270 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

So you'd be fine with DirecTV giving Viacom what they want and raising our bills to make up for it? Yeah, you need to go to another provider alright.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#271 OFFLINE   rlj1010

rlj1010

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

I don't give a flying F who's responsible for these disputes.... The bottom line is, these things need to be negotiated behind the scenes well in advance, and not at the last second in this manner. If you want to stand behind Directv during this stalemate, go right ahead. I am not.

#272 OFFLINE   rlj1010

rlj1010

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

So you'd be fine with DirecTV giving Viacom what they want and raising our bills to make up for it? Yeah, you need to go to another provider alright.

Yes. I can afford it.

You see, I work hard and don't waste all my time racking up 11,000 posts on a silly web site.

#273 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

If you're upset about being used a leverage and you swtich companies then you're proving to the content providers that it works. Neither company wants to turn off the stations but it's the trump card the content providers can call. It starts costing the companies that distribute the content money from having to have extra staff, deal with customer's calling in, having customer's threaten to leave, having customer's actually leave, add subs go down due to people holding off ordering, and other cost factors.

I don't give a flying F who's responsible for these disputes.... The bottom line is, these things need to be negotiated behind the scenes well in advance, and not at the last second in this manner. If you want to stand behind Directv during this stalemate, go right ahead. I am not.

These have been being negotiated for a long time behind closed doors. It's already been reported that the official contract ended on 6/30 but had been extended. This only happens when both companies are happy with how things are going and feel that they are close to a deal. This last minute issue is for whatever reason Viacom feels they can do this to press whatever issue they're holding up.

My advice to you is if you switch companies I wouldn't get too comfortable with them because this is becoming the SOP of the big players. They're going to force channels to go dark to get their concessions. So good luck in whatever you choose.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#274 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Yes. I can afford it.

Lucky you Richie Rich... Enjoy your new provider.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#275 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts

So Directv should just accept ANY deal that is throw it's way? What if Viacom said it wanted $3 billion? Just take it and pass it on to us?

#276 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

So Directv should just accept ANY deal that is throw it's way? What if Viacom said it wanted $3 billion? Just take it and pass it on to us?

He's Richie Rich, he can afford it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#277 OFFLINE   tvropro

tvropro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

These last minute battles are getting old fast. In the past none of this went on. The negotiations were done and everything was resolved ahead of time. It's time both sides quit playing these childish games and resolve things without this display of I'm better than you crap just to make a point.

#278 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,463 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

The greed is getting so bad with cable and satellite providers and packagers, it will eventually lead the way for cheaper alternatives for people to get their programing.

I just saw where our local cable company TWC, dropped the local ABC network station today.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#279 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

Again.. do a little bit of research. Who decided to make sure that the channels get pulled? And who did that at the last minute as a 'negotiating tactic'. (Some would call it highway robbery)
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#280 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

He's Richie Rich, he can afford it.

He probably wouldnt care if his bill was 5,000 dollars, just as long as he gets 1000 channels he is ok :grin:

spam firewall