Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#2881 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

It really makes me wonder how much different this would have been, say, 5 years when Twitter didn't exist. There was no easy way to customers to interact with either company, no real easy way for the companies to bash each other, and the public wasn't fed up to the minute lies. I would have to believe that a deal would have come about a lot easier.

Back in 2004 when Dish went through this, there was no Twitter and Facebook was brand new. That dispute had the channels off the air for all of 2 days.

Seems like social media really blew things out of proportion this time. Hopefully a lesson was learned by both companies.

Or it is bringing pressure to get settled. Two way street. Customers are voicing their frustration either way.

Twitter played no appreciable role in the directv / versus dispute.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2882 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

Or it is bringing pressure to get settled. Two way street. Customers are voicing their frustration either way.

Twitter played no appreciable role in the directv / versus dispute.

Twitter however played in the role of bs artist e.g. Swanni :grin:

#2883 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

Twitter however played in the role of bs artist e.g. Swanni :grin:

Okay. I give.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2884 OFFLINE   android.cphone

android.cphone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

Its time viacom comes forward and makes up to direct tv i am about to send viacom to bed without dinner.

#2885 OFFLINE   android.cphone

android.cphone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

And to reply to viacoms suggestion that i switch providers...
1.i like direct tv.
2.i am under contract till jan 2013
3. My credit has gone down hill since i got direct tv so dish would likely require a $200-$300 deposit.
4. My cable company here sucks.

So if anyone from viacom sees this ill say the following... quit wasting time trying to get me to switch providers and get to work on a solution to the mess u started.

#2886 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,642 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

The perfect example of what is wrong with DIRECTV (and many more companies) they do ask the entire customer base if they want this new channel, they just decide on their own and prove they do not care what the customer wants.

Welcome to DBSTalk!
Polling the entire customer base is not possible; should we each vote on 400 channels?
Regardless, it doesn't prove they don't care about what we want.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#2887 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

Polling the entire customer base is not possible.

Would be quite easy. Insert a questionnaire in the paper bills, and attach it to the email of the paperless customers.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#2888 OFFLINE   android.cphone

android.cphone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

Would be quite easy. Insert a questionnaire in the paper bills, and attach it to the email of the paperless customers.

And how many people would really take the time to answer it and send it back out?

#2889 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,642 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

And how many people would really take the time to answer it and send it back out?

4,390 out of 20,000,000+.
Then no one would tabulate it.
Then, without some basis for cost of each channel, the survey is meaningless.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#2890 OFFLINE   android.cphone

android.cphone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:59 PM

4,390 out of 20,000,000+.
Then no one would tabulate it.
Then, without some basis for cost of each channel, the survey is meaningless.

Surveys just do not work ..

#2891 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

It really makes me wonder how much different this would have been, say, 5 years when Twitter didn't exist. There was no easy way to customers to interact with either company, no real easy way for the companies to bash each other, and the public wasn't fed up to the minute lies. I would have to believe that a deal would have come about a lot easier.

Back in 2004 when Dish went through this, there was no Twitter and Facebook was brand new. That dispute had the channels off the air for all of 2 days.

Seems like social media really blew things out of proportion this time. Hopefully a lesson was learned by both companies.

They'd just do it all on commercials over the radio and tv ads and newspaper ads, just like they are doing now too.

#2892 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:12 AM

CNBC just reported that Viacom and Directv have settled and all the channels are coming back.

More details:

In addition to the channels' return, DIRECTV customers will also gain the ability to see Viacom programming on tablets, laptops, handhelds and other personal devices via the DIRECTV Everywhere platform. Carriage of the EPIX movie channel is not required as part of the new agreement.

"We are very pleased to be able to restore the channels to our customers and thank them for their unprecedented patience and support," said Derek Chang, executive vice president of Content Strategy and Development for DIRECTV. "It's unfortunate that Viacom took the channels away from customers to try to gain leverage, but in the end, it's clear our customers recognized that tactic for what it was."

.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#2893 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:21 AM

im glad the dispute is over. i hope we get more viacom channels in HD though. im kinda bummed about epix. i hope they add it as pay package like hbo & others.

Xtra + HD Extra Pack
SiriusXM subscriber

#2894 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:22 AM

CNBC just reported that Viacom and Directv have settled and all the channels are coming back.

And In Other News, DirecTV subscribers can expect a billing increase soon...
BAN the FCC!

#2895 OFFLINE   rvernier

rvernier

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:40 AM

In addition to the channels' return, DIRECTV customers will also gain the ability to see Viacom programming on tablets, laptops, handhelds and other personal devices via the DIRECTV Everywhere platform. Carriage of the EPIX movie channel is not required as part of the new agreement.

"We are very pleased to be able to restore the channels to our customers and thank them for their unprecedented patience and support," said Derek Chang, executive vice president of Content Strategy and Development for DIRECTV. "It's unfortunate that Viacom took the channels away from customers to try to gain leverage, but in the end, it's clear our customers recognized that tactic for what it was."

Good news!!

#2896 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

They are all back up. Spike was running those much missed infomercials a moment ago.

#2897 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:50 AM

DTV Facebook:

The channels are already back! Plus as a result of our new deal you will soon enjoy the freedom to see all your favorite Viacom shows on tablets, handhelds, laptops and other media devices through our DIRECTV Everywhere platform.

I like that part. I use my ipad DTV app all the time
TV Vizio VF551XVT
Remote Logitech Harmony 900
Service DirecTV Choice Xtra Classic
Receivers HR-34/700

#2898 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:52 AM

so are we getting EPIX?

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
SAYING NO TO CABLE .. PRICELESS
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

#2899 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:52 AM

I also noticed that the "ala carte" thing didn't pan out :-\
TV Vizio VF551XVT
Remote Logitech Harmony 900
Service DirecTV Choice Xtra Classic
Receivers HR-34/700

#2900 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:57 AM

DIRECTV and Viacom Reach Agreement for Return of Viacom's 17 Channels Including Extensive New Digital Rights for DIRECTV Customers

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DIRECTV has reached a new long-term agreement with Viacom to restore 17 channels (including Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV, BET, Spike, CMT, TV Land and ten other channels) that Viacom had taken away from DIRECTV customers on July 10. Viacom has returned all affected networks.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

Chang added, "The attention surrounding this unnecessary and ill-advised blackout by Viacom has accomplished one key thing: it serves notice to all media companies that bullying TV providers and their customers with blackouts won't get them a better deal. It's high time programmers ended these anti-consumer blackouts once and for all and prove our industry is about enabling people to connect to their favorite programs rather than denying them access."

The dispute helped generate significant public support from hundreds of thousands of customers and also, surprisingly enough, many high-profile DIRECTV competitors. The 850 small and independently owned local cable systems that make up the American Cable Association joined the anti-blackout chorus, as did Cox Communications, Time Warner Cable and Mediacom.

http://investor.dire...eleaseID=693651

Protected By... spam firewall...And...