Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#2941 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

Tr3s and Centric? I didn't even know they existed...or what they are!

Centric IMO is basically viacoms version of BET

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2942 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

So all in all I missed the following:

1 Episode of Tosh.0
1 Episode of Workaholics
2 Episodes of Futurama

And guess what? They are all on again within the next couple of days. Just as I thought, I missed nothing. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2943 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

It's actually BET 2 basically (I think it used to be BET something, but I don't remember. BET IS a Viacom channel.

#2944 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

I think there should be some petition to show Directv that we subscribers would like to pay more to receive Epix as long as it's all the channels and not just one or two....Don't let it be like Cinemax in the past when they offered just three channels at full price. Do you think this would be a good idea or no?

If you mean stand alone premium, fine. Part of a base package, no.

#2945 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,194 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

1 Episode of Tosh.0
1 Episode of Workaholics
2 Episodes of Futurama

And guess what? They are all on again within the next couple of days. Just as I thought, I missed nothing. :)

I don't see a repeat for the first Futurama episode missed, Zapp Dingbat.

#2946 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

I wonder how many of the people who left DirecTV because Viacom was dark actually got their new service installed before the dispute was settled. This was much adu about missing 17 channels for 10 days.

Talked to my brother-in-law a few days ago,(Dish Installer) he said that became VERY busy.:lol:

I'll have to talk to him again this weekend and see if they slowed down....

Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#2947 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Great! So when can we expect details on how much our base packages are going up? :(
DirecTV Customer Since 2007

#2948 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

It's painfully obvious that DirecTV considers itself the winner in this one. That does NOT mean our bills won't be going up. But it does mean that Direct basically got the terms it was going for:

1. no required carriage of Epix
2. Viacom content to go
3. a long-term contract

The two statements seem to bear this out. Viacom basically said we're pleased to be back, while DirecTV strutted around, as borne out in the statements quoted above.

(from: http://www.deadline....-nets-restored/ )

Game-set-match: DirecTV, or so it seems this morning.

Y'know....it's kind of funny....all this time Charlie Ergen has been posturing about how he is trying to keep costs down and protect the consumer. But when a really big time dispute blew up, it was DirecTV that dug in its heels and apparently really put a hurt on Viacom.

I think Viacom put a lot of the hurt on themselves with the way they acted.

#2949 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

I don't see a repeat for the first Futurama episode missed, Zapp Dingbat.

Yeah, I thought I did. I got that via Torrent anyways. :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2950 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

Great! So when can we expect details on how much our base packages are going up? :(

The usual $5/mo in February.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2951 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

Well, at least i'll have spike back in time for HorsepowerTv :)

Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#2952 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,394 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

Y'know....it's kind of funny....all this time Charlie Ergen has been posturing about how he is trying to keep costs down and protect the consumer. But when a really big time dispute blew up, it was DirecTV that dug in its heels and apparently really put a hurt on Viacom.

I'm sorry but that just is out of whack. Ergen has often taken down channels in these disputes, to the point that many here have made very negative comments about how often it occurs.

So to call it 'posturing' is just so much baloney!

And frankly Viacom was its own worst enemy in all this. They displayed a childish and very negative approach to negotiations, which in the end bit them in the butt. That gave D* the high ground.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#2953 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

Ergen has often taken down channels in these disputes, to the point that many here have made very negative comments about how often it occurs.

Doesn't it seem to you, though, that when he does, there's a personal edge to it? While the DTV-Viacom dispute seemed heightened, at least with their public statements, you never got the impression that it was anything else but business and that a deal would be struck, sooner or later. Contrast that with DISH's childish take-the-ball-and-never-come-back approach surrounding AMC channels.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#2954 OFFLINE   bjoe

bjoe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

CBS Corp in the fall (CBS o&o's, SHO, TMC, FLIX, , CBS Sports Net)

DirecTV faces another programming negotiation in coming months: Its deal with CBS Corp. (CBS) is up for renewal in the fall, according to a person familiar with the matter.

http://online.wsj.co...middleHeadlines

#2955 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

Doesn't it seem to you, though, that when he does, there's a personal edge to it? While the DTV-Viacom dispute seemed heightened, at least with their public statements, you never got the impression that it was anything else but business and that a deal would be struck, sooner or later. Contrast that with DISH's childish take-the-ball-and-never-come-back approach surrounding AMC channels.

Everything Charlie does is personal.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2956 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,394 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

In general, no I don't believe it is that way. The current AMC dispute is certainly exascerbated by the lawsuit, but that hasn't been the case for most of the disputes.

Actually when AMC came on in HD with Dish it surprised many as they knew there was no love lost between them and Dish.

In the back of my mind, I keep thinking that D* was helped in their handling of the Viacom issue by the fact that Dish has just taken AMC off without huge subscriber loss. Which kind of sent the signal that maybe this was the time for the distributor/content provider battle lines to be set.

We all knew it was coming at some point in time.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#2957 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

we have no idea the terms. For all we know the terms are what they were before. I tend to believe Directv stood its ground. If it caves then the next provider won't back down when it wants another 30% and then before long our 100 bill will be $130 this year. My guess is Viacom needed Directv more than the other way around.

#2958 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

And here I thought BET was Viacom's version of BET ;)

Both Centric and BET are owned by Viacom, and both target African-American audiences. Centric originally was BET on Jazz and showcased jazz music-related programming. Now is is a general interest channel geared towards an older African-American audience than BET is.

#2959 OFFLINE   bflora

bflora

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

1 Episode of Tosh.0
1 Episode of Workaholics
2 Episodes of Futurama

Actually last week's new Futurama "Zapp Dingbat" is not found in doing a search of upcoming episodes. Last night's new episode, "The Butterjunk Effect" is on tonight at 8:58 and repeated several times in the search.

#2960 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

Well, at least i'll have spike back in time for HorsepowerTv :)

2nd. And Tosh on Tuesday.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...