Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#2961 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

http://www.businessw...ending-blackout

Viacom Inc. will get more than $600 million a year from DirecTV in programming fees under their new seven-year agreement, up at least 20 percent from the previous terms, a person with direct knowledge of the matter said.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2962 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,594 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

Can I call it or what?

http://www.satellite...tml#post2918349

Bragging, from a Dodger fan, at this juncture, is unseemly.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#2963 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 916 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

CBS Corp in the fall (CBS o&o's, SHO, TMC, FLIX, , CBS Sports Net)

DirecTV faces another programming negotiation in coming months: Its deal with CBS Corp. (CBS) is up for renewal in the fall, according to a person familiar with the matter.

http://online.wsj.co...middleHeadlines

Lets see how a channel pull (let that of a premium) sits with those that pay extra for them ontop of the basic fee and try to pass it off to me that you have my back in the negotiations..

I can just see the headlines..
"DIRECTV HAS BEEN FORCED TO TAKE DOWN SHOWTIME & The Movie Channel"RING---------------RING
Thank you for calling directv...
in a few words please state why you're calling
Customer service

Good morning thank you for calling Directv, I see you're a long time customer of ours how may I help you??

"surely you dont expect me to pay my premium fee for Showtime or TMC this month since you're not fkn offering it huh?"

" absloutely sir, here is your credit"

thanks for nothing...click...

---------Bottom Line

A premium channel should NEVER be in fear of being pulled..while extra money is being paid on it by us...remember us?? you know...your subscribers??

#2964 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

Lets see how a channel pull (let that of a premium) sits with those that pay extra for them ontop of the basic fee and try to pass it off to me that you have my back in the negotiations..

I can just see the headlines..
"DIRECTV HAS BEEN FORCED TO TAKE DOWN SHOWTIME & The Movie Channel"RING---------------RING
Thank you for calling directv...
in a few words please state why you're calling
Customer service

Good morning thank you for calling Directv, I see you're a long time customer of ours how may I help you??

"surely you dont expect me to pay my premium fee for Showtime or TMC this month since you're not fkn offering it huh?"

" absloutely sir, here is your credit"

thanks for nothing...click...

---------Bottom Line

A premium channel should NEVER be in fear of being pulled..while extra money is being paid on it by us...remember us?? you know...your subscribers??

I sorta agree but you are forgetting that a lot of folks get their premiums not a la carte but bundled. What do you do with those in your scenario. Sure. For a la carte, you just pass the price on cause it is the price.

Plus what happens if it is part of a package or one side wants it to be like Epix?

I think you trivialized the issue.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2965 OFFLINE   Odys

Odys

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

we have no idea the terms. For all we know the terms are what they were before. I tend to believe Directv stood its ground. If it caves then the next provider won't back down when it wants another 30% and then before long our 100 bill will be $130 this year. My guess is Viacom needed Directv more than the other way around.

According to Bloomberg (via Engadget):

As expected, Bloomberg reports "people with direct knowledge" claim the new agreement is another seven year contract priced at more than $600 million per year, about 20 percent more than what Viacom was getting before. At least one analyst called it a win for both sides -- we'll see how subscribers fared if (when) there's a rate hike any time soon.

http://www.engadget....y-central-nick/

#2966 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 916 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

I sorta agree but you are forgetting that a lot of folks get their premiums not a la carte but bundled. What do you do with those in your scenario. Sure. For a la carte, you just pass the price on cause it is the price.

Plus what happens if it is part of a package or one side wants it to be like Epix?

I think you trivialized the issue.

then hows this...i'll be more to the point...
1st here is my copy & paste

to all my fellow D* subscribers...that pay for the premium services..MYSELF included...

...are you cool with an alleged PREMIUM channel pull??? do you feel at ease that DirecTV has my back to fight injustice on price increases by CBS..on stuff on your a la carte premium offering that you're paying extra on????

#2967 OFFLINE   mrphil

mrphil

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Between now and when this latest agreement nears expiration, perhaps they can agree on how many Viacom channels/'networks' D* actually carries!:lol:

From Viacom's blog: "All 26 Viacom networks, including Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV, BET, CMT, Logo, Spike, TV Land, MTV2, VH1, VH1 Classic, Palladia, Nick Jr., Nicktoons, TeenNick, Tr3s and Centric, will return to DIRECTV’s channel lineup immediately."

and DirectvPromise: "DIRECTV has reached a new long-term agreement with Viacom to restore 17 channels (including Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV, BET, Spike, CMT, TV Land and ten other channels) that Viacom had taken away from DIRECTV customers on July 10. Viacom has returned all affected networks."

#2968 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

then hows this...i'll be more to the point...
1st here is my copy & paste

to all my fellow D* subscribers...that pay for the premium services..MYSELF included...

...are you cool with an alleged PREMIUM channel pull??? do you feel at ease that DirecTV has my back to fight injustice on price increases by CBS..on stuff on your a la carte premium offering that you're paying extra on????

You missed my point. I do not pay a la carte for Showtime and neither do a lot of other people.

Extra Innings, Sunday Ticket, yes. Showtime, HBO, cinemax, encore, starz, no.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#2969 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,594 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:53 AM

Viacom double counting channels that are both SD and HD??
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#2970 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

Viacom double counting channels that are both SD and HD??

The water was cold when directv counted!

#2971 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 916 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

You missed my point. I do not pay a la carte for Showtime and neither do a lot of other people.

Extra Innings, Sunday Ticket, yes. Showtime, HBO, cinemax, encore, starz, no.

what about those that do? I had that for years with time warner only HBO & Cinemax...not tmc, not sho, not starz, not encore.

im supposed to politically stand by and feel good about a channel pull? and unlike a basic channel..a $$premium channel..and I'm cool with that cause said provider is looking out for me??..HAH!!

#2972 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

According to Bloomberg (via Engadget):

As expected, Bloomberg reports "people with direct knowledge" claim the new agreement is another seven year contract priced at more than $600 million per year, about 20 percent more than what Viacom was getting before. At least one analyst called it a win for both sides -- we'll see how subscribers fared if (when) there's a rate hike any time soon.

http://www.engadget....y-central-nick/

What i don't see noticed anywhere is.... outside of Epix, will DirecTV be required to carry the few Viacom channels that they currently are not carrying, such as MTV Jams or VH1 Classic?

$600 million per year by the way.... is $30 per year per customer, or $2.50 a month per customer.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2973 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

what about those that do? I had that for years with time warner only HBO & Cinemax...not tmc, not sho, not starz, not encore.

im supposed to politically stand by and feel good about a channel pull? and unlike a basic channel..a $$premium channel..and I'm cool with that cause said provider is looking out for me..HAH!!

Now you expect them to pull a channel for some but not for others? It would get pulled. You don't get charged. That's it. Just like when the NHL was closed down. Folks who bought NHL Center Ice didn't get charged.

I would hope that the premiums are dealt with differently but it could happen. If the contract is bundled (say Showtime with the CBS contracts or Epix with MTV) it could be part of a larger thing.

Heck, one of the Viacom channels was a semi-premium. Palladia. It got pulled.

All I am saying is think through all the implications not just one. These things are more complex than one thread of thought.

#2974 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

What i don't see noticed anywhere is.... outside of Epix, will DirecTV be required to carry the few Viacom channels that they currently are not carrying, such as MTV Jams or VH1 Classic?

$600 million per year by the way.... is $30 per year per customer, or $2.50 a month per customer.

I think you mean other channels. We already have vh1 classic.

#2975 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

im supposed to politically stand by and feel good about a channel pull? and unlike a basic channel..a $$premium channel..and I'm cool with that cause said provider is looking out for me??..HAH!!

No worries, the contracts for premium channels are a whole different beast. Unlike regular channels, there is a direct client-to-television-provider exchange of money, DirecTV is just acting as the middle man and taking a cut. Sure, there are negotiations, contracts, etc, etc but it is a whole different animal, negotiation-wise.

I see CBS pulling all their normal channels during a dispute, but Showtime will probably stay on the air.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2976 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 916 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

Now you expect them to pull a channel for some but not for others? It would get pulled. You don't get charged. That's it. Just like when the NHL was closed down. Folks who bought NHL Center Ice didn't get charged.

I would hope that the premiums are dealt with differently but it could happen. If the contract is bundled (say Showtime with the CBS contracts or Epix with MTV) it could be part of a larger thing.

Heck, one of the Viacom channels was a semi-premium. Palladia. It got pulled.

All I am saying is think through all the implications not just one. These things are more complex than one thread of thought.

I understand about the no charge kind of thing with NHL Center Ice during the strike..
D* would be commiting PR suicide billing for SHO/TMC & such should an impasse with CBS happen.

But the point I was making is that its a premium that we pay extra for, it shouldnt have the same complications and bickerings as a basic channel.

#2977 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

No worries, the contracts for premium channels are a whole different beast. Unlike regular channels, there is a direct client-to-television-provider exchange of money, DirecTV is just acting as the middle man and taking a cut. Sure, there are negotiations, contracts, etc, etc but it is a whole different animal, negotiation-wise.

I see CBS pulling all their normal channels during a dispute, but Showtime will probably stay on the air.

I agree. I think we were talking hypothetically.

Although an unreasonable demand could cause a premium to go dark. What if they want to be put on a different tier? What if they want to charge a flat fee like Viacom wanted for Epix that is too high? What if they want more of a cut for bundled customers?

I don't see it happening with Showtime as the real and only issue with CBS will be the O&O network affiliates.

#2978 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

I would like to see it added. They do run some good movies that are no liner on the existing premiums. Even If it's a la carte I'd be interested.

I'm a big fan of EPIX! Hopefully DTV will get it.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#2979 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 916 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

its a shame we didnt get epix...

#2980 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

I understand about the no charge kind of thing with NHL Center Ice during the strike..
D* would be commiting PR suicide billing for SHO/TMC & such should an impasse with CBS happen.

But the point I was making is that its a premium that we pay extra for, it shouldnt have the same complications and bickerings as a basic channel.

But it can. In fact while the Viacom dispute was not all about Epix, the last day or so was exactly about a premium channel. You are focusing only on the price of the single channel a la carte.

But I'll give you another reason why that could be an issue, too. Say CBS wants to increase the price by 50% yet all the other major players already have a contract in place. So, directv or whoever would have to raise the price while dish and the rest are advertising Showtime for cheap. How does that work for dirctv's benefit? Or yours?

I doubt most of this would happen but you are making flat statements that don't hold up.

spam firewall