Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

Personally, I have a nasty solution to this.

Step 1: Drop all Viacom channels from the base packages then lower the cost of said packages by whatever amount it used to cost to keep them.

Step 2: Make Viacom a premium channel service like HBO, Showtime, Etc. then let them raise the price. See how many subscribers they get then.

Just my $0.02 :evilgrin:

Doubt it will happen though. :rolleyes:

If the former happened with every testy renegotiation the networks fees would be far less than what they are because everyone would see what it costs them up to now and would know they wanted even more of an increase.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 769 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

Yes. I can afford it.

You see, I work hard and don't waste all my time racking up 11,000 posts on a silly web site.

Please do not speak in a derogatory manner about those who have spent their time here to help others. You dropped in to whine about losing a couple of precious channels and have stomped your feet and said you're about to move on.

Go right ahead, sir.

Oh, by the way, the next time you enter someone's home for the first time, you might consider not pissing on the floor.

Edited by mnassour, 10 July 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#283 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,506 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

He probably wouldnt care if his bill was 5,000 dollars, just as long as he gets 1000 channels he is ok :grin:

That's the vibe I'm getting from him too. Some sort of "I'm rich so screw you guys" mentality.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#284 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 769 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

The greed is getting so bad with cable and satellite providers and packagers, it will eventually lead the way for cheaper alternatives for people to get their programing.

I'm on board with that. Now, what are they? No slam intended, but the program companies hold all the cards, er, programs.

#285 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

MTV SD is 1 channel. MTV HD is 1 channel. The REAL fun one is Nickelodeon. Nick SD is 1 channel. Nick HD is one channel. Nick at Nite SD is 1 channel. Nick at Nite HD is 1 channel. So they basically call 1 actual channel 4 channels lol

Yeah, I didn't realize I was seven pages behind when I posted that!

Yikes!

#286 OFFLINE   Starchild

Starchild

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

I'm alright with whatever directv decides. There wil be an agreement between the two companies that they will both say they has made them the winning party.

And hopefully we will see additional HD out of this new carriage agreement such as TV Land HD for an example.
Directv since 1996
HD since 2001

#287 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,940 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

I'm alright with whatever directv decides. There wil be an agreement between the two companies that they will both say they has made them the winning party.

And hopefully we will see additional HD out of this new carriage agreement such as TV Land HD for an example.

I'm NOT all right if Directv caves and our bill skyrockets.

#288 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

+1, and EPIX possibly as well.

#289 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

This thread and the Viacom page at Facebook is full of "I'm leaving Directv if these channels are dropped!" I always laugh at these comments.

First, any TV provider should fight for the lowest possible carriage fees. If I started a cable/satellite/FIOS TV provider today and decided that I would offer every channel available no matter what the cost, what would the monthly charge be to the customer? $500? $1000? Who would pay that?

Second, this is not an isolated Directv issue. No current TV provider is immune to contract disputes and channels being dropped because of them.

If this Viacom/Directv dispute lasts longer than even one week, this might be the final straw and the government might step in. They didn't care about the Directv/Versus dispute or the Dish/MSG dispute, but this drop will include some very popular channels.

Had the FCC not allowed all these mergers, network creations under the same banner, and regulated this kind of crap years ago we might not be here. They don't do things like regulate this, but the one monopolistic merger they should have allowed without a problem, Sirius and XM, they drug their feet on for so long the company almost went belly up over it.

#290 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,076 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

Hey I have an Idea, How about Directv just makes less profit. OH no we couldn't have that could we.

DIRECTV :Since 5/13/2012
HR34-700 / HR24-500 / HR23-700 / H25-100 / D12-200 /   Roku HD

Living Room       Master bedroom     Bedroom  2         Bedroom 3    Office/Bedroom 4      bedroom 5
Slimline 5  / SWiM 16 with CCK / MRV / 15/2 Mbps Blue ridge cable Internet
Premier / MLB EI /  HD Extra /  Protection Plan

#291 OFFLINE   tftc22

tftc22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

That works for me. Additional suggestions welcome.

Assuming Viacom counts SD and HD as different:

DirecTV |Viacom
1 |2 BET
1 |1 Centric
1 |2 CMT
1 |2 Comedy Central
1 |1 Logo
1 |2 MTV
1 |1 MTV2
1 |1 MTV t3es
1 |3 Nick, NickW
0 |1 Nick at Nite (evening programming on Nick) ?
1 |1 Nick Jr
1 |1 Nick Toons
1 |1 Palladia
1 |2 Spike
1 |1 Teen Nick
1 |1 TV Land
1 |2 VH1
1 |1 VH1 Classic
17 |26 Total

I don't think Viacom is counting Nick at Nite separately. What's missing from the list is MTV India (channel 2006). To summarize, the difference between the two channel counts is that Viacom is also including 7 HD channels, a west coast feed, and an international channel to get to a total of 26.

#292 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,506 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

Had the FCC not allowed all these mergers, network creations under the same banner, and regulated this kind of crap years ago we might not be here.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! This man sees the whole forest.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#293 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,666 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

Personally, I have a nasty solution to this.

Step 1: Drop all Viacom channels from the base packages then lower the cost of said packages by whatever amount it used to cost to keep them.

Step 2: Make Viacom a premium channel service like HBO, Showtime, Etc. then let them raise the price. See how many subscribers they get then.

Just my $0.02 :evilgrin:

Doubt it will happen though. :rolleyes:

Exactly my sentiments.

#294 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

The greed is getting so bad with cable and satellite providers and packagers, it will eventually lead the way for cheaper alternatives for people to get their programing.

I just saw where our local cable company TWC, dropped the local ABC network station today.

I posted a link earlier that Brighthouse (whom Time Warner does all the negotiating for) in Orlando is about to drop the NBC affiliate over in Orlando.

#295 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 769 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

Hey I have an Idea, How about Directv just makes less profit. OH no we couldn't have that could we.

Well, hell, like I told someone over on Viacom's Facebook page earlier, I'm going to raise your mortgage by 30% tomorrow. Say, you don't need any extra income to cover that, do you?

:shrug:

#296 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! This man sees the whole forest.

Them allowing Comcast to own the NBC Universal stations is a disastrous renegotiation waiting to happen when it's time. That one could get very nasty.

#297 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

There's a reason that you're probably not the CEO/CFO (or even the night manager) anywhere.. Just a wild guess ;) :lol:
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#298 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

Lets see.. Viacom has increased its distribution by allowing streaming of its programs via the Internet, and that takes value away from the channels for dtv to carry. It has less and less new programing on several of its channels....

And yet they want more and more money from DIRECTV for something that has lost value to DIRECTV.

It sounds like mike is saying that DIRECTV would like to drop a few of the channels to lower costs.

I also have a feeling that $1 billion is over the life of the contract, probably several years.

Both will spin.

I just wonder at what point does DIRECTV say, here's the final offer, or we replace you with other channels and there won't bee enough space to bring your channels back no matter what. That's something that would put a lot more pressure on Viacom IMHO. (although i doubt they could event find enough channels to add at reasonable prices to actually fill up all their bandwidth.)

#299 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

Please do not speak in a derogatory manner about those who have spent their time here to help others. You dropped in to whine about losing a couple of precious channels and have stomped your feet and said you're about to move on.

Go right ahead, sir.

Oh, by the way, the next time you enter someone's home for the first time, you might consider not pissing on the floor.

Damn good post.

#300 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 639 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

Since John Stewart and Stephen Colbert in hiatus this week, I will not get too excited. But, with that programming available on the Internet I will find the shows somehow.
Don't tell D* and other carriers, but with TVs now capable of direct internet connections, the carriers will eventually go the way of the dinosaur.

spam firewall