Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#3001 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

Is epix commercial free movie channels like starz and hbo?

Yes, yet another group of movie channels.

http://en.wikipedia....pix_(TV_channel)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3002 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

Epix is a plus channel for me, mostly movies, HBO is a epic fail ever since they started doing so many series.

I stopped watching AMC years ago when they started putting 2 tons of commercials in 1 ton rated movie.

I have no interest in paying for HBO, Cinemax, SHowtime, or Starz and have not done so for many years.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#3003 OFFLINE   captaink5217

captaink5217

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

I would pay for that if it was offered as another premium, I pay for all the other premium movie packages already, so what the heck throw in another.
Genie HR34-700
H24-200
C31-700

#3004 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,686 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

I saw one article where it stated DirecTV had the option to add them later this year, then I saw where Swanni said it was not part of the deal. But, over the years, we have all learned that Swanni information is not always the most reliable source.

As far as I am concerned they could have left all 26 off the air and given us Epix. :rolleyes:

As I posted elsewhere the only channel Viacom offers that I occasionally watch is Palladia. The rest do not fulfill my viewing habits. But there is a target audience for those twenty six Viacom channels, hence their return to DirecTV. The Epix channels would be more icing on the cake for movie buffs. I'll repeat what I posted before about Swanni. He's a lot like Dr. Phil. The two of them know everything there is to know about absolutely nothing.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3005 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,568 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Epix is a plus channel for me, mostly movies, HBO is a epic fail ever since they started doing so many series.

I stopped watching AMC years ago when they started putting 2 tons of commercials in 1 ton rated movie.

I have no interest in paying for HBO, Cinemax, SHowtime, or Starz and have not done so for many years.

A bit different here. HBO, for me, is saved by the original series. Game of Thrones is magnificent. What hurts HBO for me is their lack of respect for OAR. Starz is very good for that, so I like them.

I did give up on AMC (the series they have do not entice me at all and the movies are hacked up). Sad, cause, it used to be up there with TCM.

The price I pay for all the premiums as a Premier customer is not all that bad considering that I like them for different reasons and watch them all to some extent.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3006 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

Well, this is cool. Viacom channels are back, many of us got "free stuff" from D* and we might even be able to get Epix soon!

#3007 OFFLINE   mrphil

mrphil

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

I'll repeat what I posted before about Swanni. He's a lot like Dr. Phil. The two of them know everything there is to know about absolutely nothing.

!rolling

#3008 ONLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Googling around, it looks like Epix makes a little less than $3 on average per sub (per month).

$500mm would have put it at about $2/sub a month for DTV.
HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#3009 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

Bragging, from a Dodger fan, * * * * , is unseemly.....

Fixed that for you.
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

#3010 OFFLINE   Taltizer

Taltizer

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

My 5 friends an relatives got calls from Directv today begging them to come back to Directv now that the Viacom deal was settled so they were offered free equipment upgrades i think HR34's and Whole Home and 3 free months of all programming to get them back before there dish network installs and a bunch of other free programming so i guess they did get something good out of leaving directv over the Viacom dispute if Directv's going to offer all of this I cant blame people to take it to come back.If I didnt have to wait for a month before I could have left and they offered it all to me I would take the deal to stay a little longer to.

#3011 OFFLINE   Taltizer

Taltizer

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

My 5 friends an relatives got calls from Directv today begging them to come back to Directv now that the Viacom deal was settled so they were offered free equipment upgrades i think HR34's and Whole Home and 3 free months of all programming to get them back before there dish network installs and a bunch of other free programming so i guess they did get something good out of leaving directv over the Viacom dispute if Directv's going to offer all of this I cant blame people to take it to come back.If I didnt have to wait for a month before I could have left and they offered it all to me I would take the deal to stay a little longer to.

The all programming is the Premiere and HD Extra Pack and i think was some sports stuff to but cant remember what that was ST or something.

#3012 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,150 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

Between now and when this latest agreement nears expiration, perhaps they can agree on how many Viacom channels/'networks' D* actually carries!:lol:

From Viacom's blog: "All 26 Viacom networks, including Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV, BET, CMT, Logo, Spike, TV Land, MTV2, VH1, VH1 Classic, Palladia, Nick Jr., Nicktoons, TeenNick, Tr3s and Centric, will return to DIRECTV’s channel lineup immediately."

and DirectvPromise: "DIRECTV has reached a new long-term agreement with Viacom to restore 17 channels (including Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV, BET, Spike, CMT, TV Land and ten other channels) that Viacom had taken away from DIRECTV customers on July 10. Viacom has returned all affected networks."

The funny part Is it's really 26 CHANNELS and 17 NETWORKS.

#3013 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,568 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

Googling around, it looks like Epix makes a little less than $3 on average per sub (per month).

$500mm would have put it at about $2/sub a month for DTV.

Fun with numbers.

The $3 you got per sub. Assuming that is to Epix and not subscriber cost (Fios charges $10 a month), that number would be skewed if you were talking about a premium channel. For $500 mil, if you got 2 million to sub, then you are talking over $20 per sub per month. Plus DirecTV's profit would make it a $25-$30 channel!

As for the $2/sub. That is a lot if it were basic. You are talking ESPN money!
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3014 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

Can I call it or what?

Hey Dodger King...I don't recognize that site!!! :D :D :D

Hope all is well...

#3015 OFFLINE   revolg

revolg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

A deal will be made very soon :)

Did I lie to anyone :) just know who u know here.

#3016 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

OK all... I think this thread has served its purpose. If you have any compelling reason to post here, please do but otherwise I would be fine with this thread fading into the past.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3017 OFFLINE   jblaze50

jblaze50

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Wow , we get the Viacom channels back. So what you missed the past week plus , will be shown again and again and again. That's the problem with these mergers of channels , they show the same programming over and over again. I could of cared less if these crap channels came back , but those who like them , good news for you. But this is why our bills go up every year. Now Viacom can pay snooki and jwow for there new show. I am glad the TCM went HD though.

#3018 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

OK all... I think this thread has served its purpose. If you have any compelling reason to post here, please do but otherwise I would be fine with this thread fading into the past.

sounds good!

#3019 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 927 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:39 PM

The funny part Is it's really 26 CHANNELS and 17 NETWORKS.

What bull**** that was! To make a claim of SD and HD separately to extend the numbers by 9. And I read a few reports sticking to the number 26. Garbage.

Edited by APB101, 21 July 2012 - 04:48 AM.

#3020 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

I also noticed that the "ala carte" thing didn't pan out :-\

This....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...