Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#3021 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:59 AM

Well, at least i'll have spike back in time for HorsepowerTv :)

Just my thoughts exactly. Missed it last week. Wonder if most of the Powerblock shows will be new?
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3022 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 908 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:19 AM

Interesting article: http://www.deadline....-nets-restored/

Edited by APB101, 21 July 2012 - 06:48 AM.

#3023 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

Is epix commercial free movie channels like starz and hbo?

Yes.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#3024 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

Epix is and should be a premium.

Its not a premium on Dish its part of the HD package. Should be the same with Directv.

#3025 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

Its not a premium on Dish its part of the HD package. Should be the same with Directv.

S you think everyone's bills should go up another $2 a month for those channels?

They belong in a premium tier so those that want them can have them and pay for them themselves, IMHO. Makes no sense to force these channels at the rates they want on everyone. Overall rates are high enough without needing to pile on.

#3026 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

S you think everyone's bills should go up another $2 a month for those channels?

They belong in a premium tier so those that want them can have them and pay for them themselves, IMHO. Makes no sense to force these channels at the rates they want on everyone. Overall rates are high enough without needing to pile on.

Ibooks.. mispoke a bit. On Dish it is either available for $7/month as an a la carte` pick, or included in the $10/month BB@Home which is similar to the HD Extra Pack that D* has.

And that is the way that D* should offer it imo.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3027 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

Epix if it is added needs to be in the hd extra pak like hdnet movies.
Mike
Directv user since 96 :)

#3028 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Epix is a plus channel for me, mostly movies, HBO is a epic fail ever since they started doing so many series.

I stopped watching AMC years ago when they started putting 2 tons of commercials in 1 ton rated movie.

I have no interest in paying for HBO, Cinemax, SHowtime, or Starz and have not done so for many years.

Epix also shows allot more variety. They show many older movies that you dont see on the other movie channels. I use to like the channel when i was on Dish and they seemed to show more variety. Its no extra on Dish i think Directv should not charge extra either.

#3029 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

Ibooks.. mispoke a bit. On Dish it is either available for $7/month as an a la carte` pick, or included in the $10/month BB@Home which is similar to the HD Extra Pack that D* has.

And that is the way that D* should offer it imo.

Must have changed because we got EPIX and didnt get some extra pack.

#3030 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

Epix also shows allot more variety. They show many older movies that you dont see on the other movie channels. I use to like the channel when i was on Dish and they seemed to show more variety. Its no extra on Dish i think Directv should not charge extra either.

So DIRECTV should not charge for something that Viacom wants $500 million a year for? Really?

I can see maybe putting it in the extra pack, but then I'd expect the extra pack price to increase a little bit. It wouldn't need to increase a lot, because simply having more people sub to the pack would help pay for the channel, but I'd bet a 1 to 3 dollar increase if they did that.

I doubt its coming though, I think viacom wants a flat rate for it and DIRECTV is never going to go that route.

#3031 OFFLINE   Odys

Odys

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

Epix is a plus channel for me, mostly movies, HBO is a epic fail ever since they started doing so many series.

I stopped watching AMC years ago when they started putting 2 tons of commercials in 1 ton rated movie.

I have no interest in paying for HBO, Cinemax, SHowtime, or Starz and have not done so for many years.

Then you are missing some of the best tv in many years. Movies can be found anywhere, the series on HBO, Showtime and AMC are far more worth the price than mere movies.

#3032 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,277 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

You must be talking about Epix Drive In or Epix 3. Epix and Epix 2 pretty much concentrate on more recent blockbusters (last 20 years with a big emphasis on newer movies). I have them on Fios. No assurance that even if DirecTV adds Epix they will do all four.

However, as I said before, Epix has a huge library of older movies (lots of them B flicks) available streaming or On Demand. Pretty sure that is what they populate Drive In with.

I still say it is more like HBO/Cinemax than like TCM or Fox Movie Channel, which are truly basic.

Epix is a premium on fios as well. $10 a month or in their top level package. Just like HBO, etc., on DirecTV.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3033 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,336 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Must have changed because we got EPIX and didnt get some extra pack.

Currently one EPIX channel is available in AT250 (Epix Drive-In) and the others are available either a la carte for $7 or as part of Blockbuster@Home for $10 (the better deal being Blockbuster@Home as the extra $3 provides several other channels).

It is a decent package. If DirecTV decides to offer the channels it could provide a boost to their HD Extra package or as an a la carte. It takes up the same space on the satellites regardless of how many people can view it, so providing it it as many subscribers as possible at a decent price makes sense.

#3034 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,277 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

So DIRECTV should not charge for something that Viacom wants $500 million a year for? Really?

I can see maybe putting it in the extra pack, but then I'd expect the extra pack price to increase a little bit. It wouldn't need to increase a lot, because simply having more people sub to the pack would help pay for the channel, but I'd bet a 1 to 3 dollar increase if they did that.

I doubt its coming though, I think viacom wants a flat rate for it and DIRECTV is never going to go that route.

A flat rate is what Viacom asked for. In the final deal, they could have made it an option with a flat rate or an option with a per sub rate. Nothing has reported that yet.

As for the HD pack increasing, just stop offering repeated 3 month free access and that will take care of it. ;)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#3035 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

My point was I'm, not paying for series when I can get ones that I like on the networks, USA, SciFi, TNT etc. As it is between the free movie channels, and non pay channel serials there is more content than I have time to watch. Why Pay more.

Whee Warehouse 13 next Monday!
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#3036 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,277 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

My point was I'm, not paying for series when I can get ones that I like on the networks, USA, SciFi, TNT etc. As it is between the free movie channels, and non pay channel serials there is more content than I have time to watch. Why Pay more.

Whee Warehouse 13 next Monday!

Because some of the series blow away other ones and they are all commercial free.

Game of Thrones is one of the best endeavors ever taken on by an American TV channel, for example. If it were on USA, SyFy, TNT, etc., it would be butchered and probably not even done (heck, it wasn't).

Besides, you do not get TNT, USA, Syfy, etc., free. You pay for them. Same with Warehouse 13 (a pretty damned good show but still not in the class of GoT).

Now if you said "ABC, NBC, Fox, CBS, PBS, CW, etc., you have an argument about paying.

#3037 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

maybe epix is not the channel im thinking of then. There were 2 that were allot of classic movies 90s and before. Not B movies but blockbusters from 70s and 80s and such. I thought it was epix but maybe im wrong.

#3038 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,277 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

maybe epix is not the channel im thinking of then. There were 2 that were allot of classic movies 90s and before. Not B movies but blockbusters from 70s and 80s and such. I thought it was epix but maybe im wrong.

Was it in HD? Could have been one of the Plex channels.

Directv is supposed to get them soon.

#3039 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

thats it. It was retroplex. I did watch epix too but it was retro plex im thinking of that showed lots of movies from 80s and 70s and such.
That would be great to see on Directv

#3040 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

Didn't miss Viacom one bit!

spam firewall