Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#3041 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,701 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

Didn't miss Viacom one bit!

That's cause it is not gone. :)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3042 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,701 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

thats it. It was retroplex. I did watch epix too but it was retro plex im thinking of that showed lots of movies from 80s and 70s and such.
That would be great to see on Directv

They announced an agreement with starz for it but when and if any hd, we don't know.

Glad we could figure that out.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3043 OFFLINE   actah

actah

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

Now we can move on to a bigger problem...
How to get DirectTV feed delivered over the internet?(or to Canadian wannabe subscribers)

#3044 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

The horse is dead. Stop with the beating.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#3045 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Now we can move on to a bigger problem...
How to get DirectTV feed delivered over the internet?(or to Canadian wannabe subscribers)

<moderator mode> Talk to the Canadian government (they are the ones limiting service. Anything else is not to be discussed here at DBStalk.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3046 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

Whee Warehouse 13 next Monday!

Where's my Farnsworth! :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3047 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

I took the 'delivered over the internet' comment to mean streaming a la Viacom channels (for example). Do you mean that's not to be talked about in another thread where it would probably belong?

#3048 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

I took the 'delivered over the internet' comment to mean streaming a la Viacom channels (for example). Do you mean that's not to be talked about in another thread where it would probably belong?

Generally speaking, streaming content is geographically restricted due to the fact that a TV station has to pay the producer of the program a certain amount of money to be allowed to broadcast the program, who in turn restricts the deal to the United States only, because they can sell the same program to a Canadian broadcaster for a good deal of money as well.

If the broadcaster would allow streaming to Canada, there is less incentive for a Canadian broadcaster to actually buy the TV series in question. It becomes even more interesting when we include Europe in the equation. Many American produced TV shows are popular in a variety of European countries. They sell the same series to a TV station in e.g. 20 countries for good money, and again if streaming was allowed, they may not have sold the series.

In essence, without explicit consent of the producer of the material, it isn't allowed to stream the content to outside the country's border. The same is true for Canadian programming. For instance, the only way I can see "Canadian Pickers" (obviously the Canadian variant of the American one) is to download it through illegal channels, as the producer of this content does not stream it, nor sell it to an American television station.

The grey area in all this is the border area, where CABLE systems often carry some Canadian TV stations. (I know this to be the case in Michigan for instance, e.g. in Port Huron)

In any case since the viewing of a geographically protected broadcast can only be done via illegal ways, it has been the decision of this board not to allow discussion on how this can be achieved. (And understandably so, they are a respected board and don't want to get in trouble with neither DBS carriers nor TV stations).

In short, the discussion on how to receive American streamed television or DBS type services OUTSIDE the United States, should be discussed on boards that are.... lets say more affiliated with the darker side of the internet. Streaming within the United States, from Viacom to U.S. subscribers, can be discussed freely.

However, this thread is specifically about the now ended dispute. As such, it might be better to start your own thread about this.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3049 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

<moderator mode> Talk to the Canadian government (they are the ones limiting service. Anything else is not to be discussed here at DBStalk.

Peace,
Tom

Actually, I believe it is the producers of content that decide this.... as they want to sell their wares to Canadian television stations as well, they explicitly demand that streaming websites are geographically limited.

For the same reason BBC iPlayer is not available outside of the UK for instance, although they have opened up special versions for Ireland, Australia, and some other places I think. It's all about producers who hold the rights, not so much about governments doing anything about it.

I am the Stig.

#3050 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

Actually, I believe it is the producers of content that decide this.... as they want to sell their wares to Canadian television stations as well, they explicitly demand that streaming websites are geographically limited.

For the same reason BBC iPlayer is not available outside of the UK for instance, although they have opened up special versions for Ireland, Australia, and some other places I think. It's all about producers who hold the rights, not so much about governments doing anything about it.

While you are correct that content producers "could" have a say--the Canadian FCC prohibits wholesale importing of US (and likely others) content into Canada. So the content producers don't have a direct choice in the matter.

Thus, the FCC has reciprocated and prohibits wholesale importing of Canadian channels into the US.

While I understand the theory of Canada wanting to keep Canada as Canada and avoid being the 51st state of the US, I'm not sure this approach is really useful.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3051 OFFLINE   skaman74

skaman74

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:09 PM

While you are correct that content producers "could" have a say--the Canadian FCC prohibits wholesale importing of US (and likely others) content into Canada. So the content producers don't have a direct choice in the matter.

Thus, the FCC has reciprocated and prohibits wholesale importing of Canadian channels into the US.

While I understand the theory of Canada wanting to keep Canada as Canada and avoid being the 51st state of the US, I'm not sure this approach is really useful.

Peace,
Tom

Though all Canadian television channels just play american shows on a SD channel with the same 10 commercials on repeat. Except for Spike, A&E and the Buffalo and Seattle Big 4s the rest are all Canadian channels with american programing except for a couple Canadian shows...Trailer Park Boys.

Also Canadian FCC = CRTC

rolltide

#3052 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:31 AM

S you think everyone's bills should go up another $2 a month for those channels?

They belong in a premium tier so those that want them can have them and pay for them themselves, IMHO. Makes no sense to force these channels at the rates they want on everyone. Overall rates are high enough without needing to pile on.

I don't know, I have to pay for all the useless (to me) Viacom channels that everyone else seems to love.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#3053 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

I don't know, I have to pay for all the useless (to me) Viacom channels that everyone else seems to love.

Well, not everyone! :)

I'd gladly trade all the other Viacom stations for Epix.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3054 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

I hear you, but it's a lot easier to keep more from coming on than taking ones we have already had away. I say draw the line in the sand today. If its not a local of some sort, or replacing another channel, it needs to be put in its own tier or at least a new package, like the Hi Definition extra pack. Everyone starting a channel today is to late to get in on the ground floor as far as I am concerned.

#3055 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

Well, not everyone! :)

I'd gladly trade all the other Viacom stations for Epix.

We might have had Epix by now had they not screwed themselves within the industry.
DTV = Digital Television

#3056 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

We might have had Epix by now had they not screwed themselves within the industry.

If you're referring to the recent negotiations, yeah you could have that take.

But otherwise, Epix would be a good addition to the HD Extra Pack imo. D* had said much earlier they weren't interested in it (2009 I believe), and with what is going on with adding new HD channels, I don't really expect it any time soon.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3057 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

But otherwise, Epix would be a good addition to the HD Extra Pack imo. D* had said much earlier they weren't interested in it (2009 I believe), and with what is going on with adding new HD channels, I don't really expect it any time soon.

No, I'm referring to their Netflix deal.
DTV = Digital Television

#3058 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

I have the Epix app on my Ipod Touch in addition to HBO Go, Crackle, and Netflix apps. I use my Cox broadband account to authenticate it since Epix is on Cox even though I don't have the tv package the channel is in. In terms of offerings compared to Sony's Crackle service it sucks. The most entertaining stuff I saw was the two original documentaries by William Shatner on Star Trek fandom and the 1984 Tim Matheson movie The House of God.

My Crackle Queue:
Why it Crackles: Total Recall (2012)
Candy Stripers
Bats
The Unknown (crackle original tv series)
Used Cars
The Fifth Element
Marvel Anime: Ironman (tv series)
Jackie Chan Adventures (seasons 1-3; went to Netflix for seasons 4-5)
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters II
Kung Fu Hustle
NewsRadio (seasons 1-2)
Galaxy Express 999 (complete series)
Blood: The Last Vampire (live-action movie)
The Cable Guy
Angel of Death Movie
Wind Chill
And Now For Something Completely Different
Barney Miller (tv series)
Space Truckin' (crackle original tv series)
Balls Out: Gary The Tennis Coach
Sanford and Son (tv series)
You Don't Mess With The Zohan
Married with Children (tv series)

My Epix Queue:

Empty. The POS app won't add things to the queue no matter how many times you mash the Add button.

If Epix EVER does end up in the HD Extra Pack it will be the last channel I watch. HDMN, MGM, Sony, and Universal are still my fave channels in the pack.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...