Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,041 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

I'm on board with that. Now, what are they? No slam intended, but the program companies hold all the cards, er, programs.

I wonder if sat and cable companies actually have more or less profit% today vs say ten years ago. How about 20 years ago? And 30 years ago when cable was really just getting going?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

There's a good article about the dispute HERE
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#303 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,082 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

There's a reason that you're probably not the CEO/CFO (or even the night manager) anywhere.. Just a wild guess ;) :lol:

Shows what you know!
I unlike corprate America take losses all the time. We are called Small Business Owners.

Millionares don't know anything about declining profit. Why do you think they can lose business and still never take a loss.

They just drop or take what they need for themselves!
Or just get a free government bailout!

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#304 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

Since I (fortunately) don't have Brighthouse I didn't know this but apparently we in Tampa lost a local channel today. So, we lose an independent and Brighthouse in Orlando is set to drop NBC over there. Again, if you leave to go to another provider there is no telling how long it'll be before they are at odds with someone....especially if that provider is Time Warner or Brighthouse.

http://www.tampabay....ay-cable-system

#305 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

Shows what you know!
I unlike corprate America take losses all the time. We are called Small Business Owners.

Millionares don't know anything about declining profit. Why do you think they can lose business and still never take a loss.

Right, that's how the company stays in business. Dropping or taking what they need for themselves. And how about before you presume to decide they should take less profit how about you know where that profit goes, what the profit margin is, and if it bothers you that much....leave. Then they'll make less profit because they wont have your business anymore.

And I hate saying that to people, but if you are going to all side with the networks and say oh well, Directv should eat it all it really shows how much you know about business.

#306 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

The hyperbole is getting rediculous. This isn't going to make people's bills $500 - $1000 :rolleyes:. The elasticity of prices isn't that great. All cable/satellite companies need to keep their prices competitive, or they won't have any subscribers. Also, there is only so much the market will bear. They both know this. They word things in a way to get people on their side. $1 billion, ooooh big scary number.

It's all about whether directv gets to keep more of your money or has to pass more on to viacom (and others). It's not in anyone's best interest to just cave into the other's demands. They need to negotiate a fair deal. Both parties are playing YOU. Don't buy into their BS.

#307 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

until dish and directv band together and refuse these and future outrageous programming price increases it will only get worse

#308 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

Shows what you know!

Or just get a free government bailout!

Do you know the difference between owning a Business, and owning your Job?
PROFIT

#309 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

The hyperbole is getting rediculous. This isn't going to make people's bills $500 - $1000 :rolleyes:. The elasticity of prices isn't that great. All cable/satellite companies need to keep their prices competitive, or they won't have any subscribers. Also, there is only so much the market will bear. They both know this. They word things in a way to get people on their side. $1 billion, ooooh big scary number.

It's all about whether directv gets to keep more of your money or has to pass more on to viacom (and others). It's not in anyone's best interest to just cave into the other's demands. They need to negotiate a fair deal. Both parties are playing YOU. Don't buy into their BS.

They're all out to get you. Better stay inside.

#310 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

I wonder if sat and cable companies actually have more or less profit% today vs say ten years ago. How about 20 years ago? And 30 years ago when cable was really just getting going?

I do know that the price of programming has gone through the roof.

#311 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

until dish and directv band together and refuse these and future outrageous programming price increases it will only get worse

That's illegal, it's called collusion.

#312 OFFLINE   jmpfaff

jmpfaff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

I care about 2 of those "26" channels. And I can very easily live without them, especially if keeping those 2 leads to a big rate increase on the other 15...errr....24.

#313 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,082 posts

I found out some info I called Viacom and Directv and Honestly they are both at Fault. Directv pays Viacom less then any provider per subscriber, Viacom wants them to pay Fair value.

Well Directv claims a Billion dollar increase, But Viacom claims its only pennys, So How does Directv come up with its Billion dollar number? $1 increase per subscriber is only $20 million. So Directv is never going to convince me that Viacom want an addtional $5 per customer. Sorry don't buy it!

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

#314 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

They're all out to get you. Better stay inside.

What the hell are you talking about? Try making some sense.

#315 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

Had the FCC not allowed all these mergers, network creations under the same banner, and regulated this kind of crap years ago we might not be here. They don't do things like regulate this, but the one monopolistic merger they should have allowed without a problem, Sirius and XM, they drug their feet on for so long the company almost went belly up over it.

Al Franken is trying to fix that.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#316 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

I found out some info I called Viacom and Directv and Honestly they are both at Fault. Directv pays Viacom less then any provider per subscriber, Viacom wants them to pay Fair value.

Well Directv claims a Billion dollar increase, But Viacom claims its only pennys, So How does Directv come up with its Billion dollar number? $1 increase per subscriber is only $20 million. So Directv is never going to convince me that Viacom want an addtional $5 per customer. Sorry don't buy it!

They're probably talking about the whole value of the contract (over x years), not just the increase. $1 billion dollars is a scary big number, pennies is miniscule. Like I said, they are both playing games with the numbers.

#317 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

Do you know the difference between owning a Business, and owning your Job?
PROFIT

Yea I pay 11 employees every week. If I have to take a loss, thats what I do!. You take the good with the bad. You can't only take good.
My crew and myself work a lot harder and help more people for a low six figure per year number!

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#318 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

One upside to this for my household would be that if D* dropped the Viacom channels we could move to a lower tier programming package ("Murder She Wrote" on TVLand is watched by my wife - but that's about it).

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#319 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

They're probably talking about the whole value of the contract (over x years), not just the increase. $1 billion dollars is a scary big number, pennies is miniscule. Like I said, they are both playing games with the numbers.

OK say the contract is 10 years? Directv payed more then that for NFL ST in much less years. You understand my point. Directv is blurting out a Billion dollar number, OK give us a list of what you pay per subscriber for all the other networks , then we can compair.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#320 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Al Franken is trying to fix that.

I doubt he'd fix anything in a way I'd agree with. Seriously though I just read where some politician is upset about his constituents losing a channel. People might be interested if they didn't all stay quiet until it affects them.

spam firewall