Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV/Viacom Dispute?

• Please log in to reply
3057 replies to this topic

#321 OFFLINE   Snickering Hound

Snickering Hound

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

I found out some info I called Viacom and Directv and Honestly they are both at Fault. Directv pays Viacom less then any provider per subscriber, Viacom wants them to pay Fair value.

Well Directv claims a Billion dollar increase, But Viacom claims its only pennys, So How does Directv come up with its Billion dollar number? $1 increase per subscriber is only $20 million. So Directv is never going to convince me that Viacom want an addtional $5 per customer. Sorry don't buy it!

http://www.hollywood...k-rating-346861

And Viacoms stock was just downgraded thanks to under-performing programming. Shouldn't Directv be asking LESS to carry their programming instead of getting stuck with a 30% increase?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#322 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

If these channels are pulled, even for a day, I am dropping Directv. We are a Nick household.

Please report back TOMORROW which carrier you will go to. :D

It certainly looks like you will be without Nick tomorrow. Well, maybe now your kids will actually have to do something like.... reading. There's a scary thought. :D (And there are of course Disney channels for the time being)

I'm not seeing any news at the moment of them being close to signing anything... from their Twitter account they mentioned just a few minutes before this post that they are still negotiating.

It has been known to happen that a deal is reached at 11 PM with just an hour to go.... so we just don't know. But if indeed 1 day is too much, I'd seriously consider calling for an installation date of a new provider TODAY so you have your slot in with an installer, you can always call back and cancel if they make a deal.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#323 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

OK say the contract is 10 years? Directv payed more then that for NFL ST in much less years. You understand my point. Directv is blurting out a Billion dollar number, OK give us a list of what you pay per subscriber for all the other networks , then we can compair.

Neither party wants to open their books. I agree with the sentiment, but it's never going to happen.

Edited by Pepe Sylvia, 10 July 2012 - 04:38 PM.
typo

#324 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

That's illegal, it's called collusion.

Yea, I know. But if Viacom gets away with this one, then other providers will pile on.

#325 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Please report back TOMORROW which carrier you will go to. :D

It certainly looks like you will be without Nick tomorrow. Well, maybe now your kids will actually have to do something like.... reading. There's a scary thought. :D (And there are of course Disney channels for the time being)

I'm not seeing any news at the moment of them being close to signing anything... from their Twitter account they mentioned just a few minutes before this post that they are still negotiating.

It has been known to happen that a deal is reached at 11 PM with just an hour to go.... so we just don't know. But if indeed 1 day is too much, I'd seriously consider calling for an installation date of a new provider TODAY so you have your slot in with an installer, you can always call back and cancel if they make a deal.

I've kind of stayed mute on this. But maybe it's just coming off like this to me through text but some of these people it's like they think there household will meltdown into oblivion without Nick. Kind of scary really.

#326 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

Yes. I can afford it.

You see, I work hard and don't waste all my time racking up 11,000 posts on a silly web site.

Well, seriously...just go then. No offense intended. That is your right as a consumer. You can choose what you buy and where you buy it.

But to come on the internet and anonymously post your anger ad nauseum...and criticize those with a different perspective for wasting their time on the internet...well, can you see the irony?

You claim you don't care, you can afford it and you just want the programming but the outrage you're spewing here says otherwise.

If you really just wanted the programming, cost be damned, you'd already have another provider lined up.

You've ranted. Now take a deep breath, think about it, make a reasoned decision (or an un-reasoned one) and just do whatever you're going to do. Raging on the internet isn't going to solve your problems...not a one of them.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#327 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

And Viacoms stock was just downgraded thanks to under-performing programming. Shouldn't Directv be asking LESS to carry their programming instead of getting stuck with a 30% increase?

I am willing to bet that some analyst at DirecTV has run the numbers on all of that and has presented his board with the findings, to be used in the negotiations. This news came at a pretty dire time for Viacom.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#328 ONLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

Switch to Dish, oh they just droped AMC. Go to Brighthouse or Comcast they will also be dropping channels like everyone else. I am all for standing up to the price increases.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#329 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

Yea, I know. But if Viacom gets away with this one, then other providers will pile on.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like if they had let the Directv/Echostar merger go through. They let Sirius and XM do it.

#330 OFFLINE   The Walrus

The Walrus

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

i finally had to register to weigh in on this,

to all of you that say, just pay it and keep the channels,

this would set a terrible precedent for future negotiations, if they cave to Viacom, the next up will hold out for the full asking price.

I am a parent with a 5 year old, and he loves Nic channels,but we will go outside, play catch, read books, etc. Time for parents to be parents, not put there kids off on a tv to babysit.

#331 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

i finally had to register to weigh in on this,

to all of that say, just pay it and keep the channels,

this would set a terrible precedent for future negotiations, if they cave to Viacom, the next up will hold out for the full asking price.

I am a parent with a 5 year old, and he loves Nic channels,but we will go outside, play catch, read books, etc. Time for parents to be parents, not put there kids off on a tv to babysit.

Well said, sir. It bears repeating!

:welcome_s

#332 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

I sometimes wonder what it would be like if they had let the Directv/Echostar merger go through. They let Sirius and XM do it.

This might have been one of the good effects of such a merger. Viacom may be able to survive the loss of 20 million sets of eyeballs, but 35 million? That's a tough nut...especially when fewer and fewer people want to watch what you're putting out.

#333 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

Like someone else already said in different words.... It is like the world is going to end in some houses, because the family doesn't know what to do with their kids if some of the kids channels are turned off, for what is probably not going to be for more then a week, if that, or if at all.

Look, it is everyone's right to switch provider, state your opinion, and raise your children the way you see fit... but the world is NOT ending because Nick* channels are off the air for a bit. Your family will really survive this. Trust me.

I am the Stig.

#334 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

It was 2 different issues which explains why they did it. I'll say both of those cases are one of the rare times in the last several years they've done their job. Although dragging their feet on the SXM merger almost killed the company IMO.

One effect that would have come about from the merger is NFL ST would probably be exclusive to IN Demand now.

#335 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

I am also sick on people who say drop them as I don't watch them. Well how about we drop the programming YOU watch and see how YOU like it!

Why does buy bill have to be so high, to pay the CRAP that you watch? Same with you paying for the CRAP that I watch, LOL!

THIS is why everyone needs to pull their head out of their backsides and offer Ala carte programming. I know people that HATE sports, but they bills are much higher to support ESPN and what not.

So, please keep yoru "drop them as I don't care" crap to yourself!

And lease don't go there with the parenting stuff and what not about TV. How many of you here have NO LIFE and watch nothing BUT TV with 10 DVRs and what not? Please don't be judgmental.

The price increases for ala carte programming would be ginormous. You would pay a lot more for the channels you want, compared to what you are paying for them now.

I'm not sure it would balance out, hard to say.

Just be careful what you ask for, you just might get it. (although I think it is unlikely).

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#336 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

Like someone else already said in different words.... It is like the world is going to end in some houses, because the family doesn't know what to do with their kids if some of the kids channels are turned off, for what is probably not going to be for more then a week, if that, or if at all.

Look, it is everyone's right to switch provider, state your opinion, and raise your children the way you see fit... but the world is NOT ending because Nick* channels are off the air for a bit. Your family will really survive this. Trust me.

Also, it's like 4 out of 7 or 8. It isn't like all they'll be left with are right wing and left wing news blowhards.

#337 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

This might have been one of the good effects of such a merger. Viacom may be able to survive the loss of 20 million sets of eyeballs, but 35 million? That's a tough nut...especially when fewer and fewer people want to watch what you're putting out.

Its a bit more complicated then that.... just like with Sirius/XM, they were different services with different radios. I have a XM radio and can't get all the Sirius channels, just like Sirius radios can't get all the XM channels. Just recently they started selling radios that can receive everything.

A Dish/DirecTV merger does NOT mean that all over sudden all DirecTV subscribers would get all them basic HD channels, nor do all Dish subscribers now have the option to get NFL Sunday Ticket.

There is actually a good chance that a new "DirectDish" company would have to build a completely new receiver, that is capable of receiving signals from both Echostar and DirecTV satellites, and with the release of said receiver they would have to issue a new dish with a LNB that can talk to them all. You would still have MANY, MANY, years of legacy to overcome, and it could be 10+ years before a merged company really is able to offer ALL services to ALL customers.

Chances are high that if such a merger would occur, Dish and DirecTV products would remain a separate product for quite some time to come.

I am the Stig.

#338 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,835 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

Stock is the problem. I don't feel bad for stock holders. Stock is the reason the companys will do what ever it takes to make up a loss. The customer always loses and the rich get richer.

I don't know if a 30% increase is fair, and neither do you!

If the customer pays .10 well 30% sounds kindof small to me! Just because 30% sounds big doesn't mean it is!

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#339 OFFLINE   tuff bob

tuff bob

Icon

• Registered
  • 645 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

We're getting off topic here, but I still don't understand why DirecTV and Dish dont jointly own a satellite LIL broadcasting service that supplies the LIL's to both company customers, surely that would be much cheaper than both services rebroadcasting the same channels. anyway as I said, off topic.
Half a DLB, Half a DVR.

#340 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

A Dish/DirecTV merger does NOT mean that all over sudden all DirecTV subscribers would get all them basic HD channels, nor do all Dish subscribers now have the option to get NFL Sunday Ticket.

Chances are high that if such a merger would occur, Dish and DirecTV products would remain a separate product for quite some time to come.

Oh absolutely, I need to be more clear. I was referring only to the financial negotiations that a combined company would hold. Even though there would be two systems (for some time), a single satellite provider (something I'm not in favor of) would turn...or off...a programmer's access to all satellite customers in the country, meaning if you wanted to be on DBS, you'd have to play ball.

spam firewall